Running hot at stock...

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
I've got an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor, two case fans, a Thermaltake Big Typhoon processor fan, and all housed inside a Cooler Master Centurion 532. Everything is running at stock speeds, and I've got an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

So why is it that, whenever I run two torture tests in Prime95, the processor temperature hits 48°C, even peaking to 50°C?

I've tried changing the thermal paste, applying less, but nothing seems to be working. I've tightened the processor fan down to the porcessor (Thermaltake recommends tightening it until the fan cannot slip over the processor) but it still hits 48°C.

I've no clue as to why this processor is getting too hot. Anyone got any ideas?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Prime95 really makes your CPU work thats why.

Nothing above 50C is just fine. Hell, hitting 50C full load isnt going to hurt anything. Is your CPU Oc'd? I have the same chip in a machine of mine, but after the AS/5 burned in, I only hit 52C full load on the STOCK cooler.

You might want to reseat the Typhoon, as you should be seeing much better temps than that. I havent mounted the TT on my X2 yet, so I can't give you something to compare too. But seeing as how I"m getting the same temps on a unit much less up to par, there seems to be a problem.

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
52°C seems to be the absolute maximum that I've seen it run at. The computer turns itself off if it stays at around 50°C for a while.

I haven't oc'd the computer yet, but I'd love to. That's why I'm trying to get the computer cooled before I begin.

I've tightened the fan down as far as it should go (it doesn't slip around anymore) but it's had no effect.

advcomp2019

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Change some of the BIOS settings for the temps.

My Computer:
AMD Athlon64 3700+ w/ Zalman 7700 @ stock voltage @ 2.53GHz
Abit AN8 Ultra
2 pair of Corsair XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) @ 2.5-3-3-6 DDR460
Sapphire X1600XT w/ stock cooler
Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card
Antec TruePower 2 550W
Samsung DVD+/-RW w/ Lightscribe
Lite-On DVD-ROM
2 200GB and 250GB hard drives
Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ an added fan where the funnel was at

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
There's nothing in the motherboard manual about changing it.

I'm not entirely sure if it is the motherboard that's shutting down the computer. It could be something else. But the processor should still be cooler than 50°C anyway.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
its fine as long as it doesint get above 60.Mine core 2 duo run 40 at idle and with 2 prime95 it sometimes had 60C.But its fine because it was at full load and didnt reach above 60C.

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
Are you sure your getting accurate readings?

Hmm... that's interesting...

I got Asus PC Probe 2 bundled with the motherboard, but I don't use it because it doesn't log the temperatures. Normally I use SpeedFan, because it does log the info.

But now that I see them running together... Speedfan says that the core temperature is 37°C. PC Probe says 33°C.

Aha! Got it now! Look...

Speed-Probe.jpg

Assuming that PC Probe is accurate, then Temp1 in Speedfan is the CPU temperature. Temp2 is the motherboard temperature. And Core is... well, I've no idea what that is.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Are you using Arctic Silver?

In Speedfan, "Core" might imply the video card temperature. Nonetheless, 50C is an acceptable CPU temp when running two instances of Prime 95.

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
Yeah, I'm using Artic Silver paste.

The "Core" isn't the video temperature (since nVidia's and Speedfan's values aren't the same).

God damn, I agonised for days over that... only because the "Core" wasn't the CPU after all. :evil:

Well, I'm glad that I've got that out of the way. Now to begin overclocking this rig... :p

Thanks to everyone for helping, and Raven_87 for finally finding out what the problem was.

advcomp2019

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I use SpeedFan, but with some motherboards there are false readings.

Edit:
I have been looking at the manual. The Core Temp could be the nForce4 SLI chip.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Assuming that PC Probe is accurate, then Temp1 in Speedfan is the CPU temperature. Temp2 is the motherboard temperature. And Core is... well, I've no idea what that is.

You need to push the CPU load to figure out what reading is what for speedfan to be sure. The CPU temp should be the easies to figure out. Temp2 is my CPU temp reading. Though it will/could be different for other MB.

FAQ:

Speedfan FAQ about sensors' readings

How can I identify my CPU temperature?
To find your CPU's temperature sensor you can leave your system idle for a few minutes, to let temperatures drop, and then go to 100% usage for a while. The temperature that rises faster is the one you're searching for. Other available temperature readings usually come from your sensor chip itself, from the southbridge, the voltage regulator, or even from an additional probe placed under the processor. This additional temperature sensor is not necessarily a duplicate. Some CPUs are not actually able to report the internal temperature from their die. To be able to read their temperatures, an additional external sensor (thermocouple) is used. In such cases, you will see two temperatures referring to the processor. The higher of the two is from the die. As a final note, please remember that not all available temperature sensors are actually connected to something. If you happen to read unusually high or low temps, they are likely to be from a disconnected (unused) temperature sensor.

You can label then later on when you verify yourself what sensor reading is what, in clicking on the config button then clicking on the temp label.

Though with new chipsets coming out, I wouldn't know what the core temp is refered to.

There are switches to add to the command if you want to change its parameters.

How to use SpeedFan's command line parameters

TRENDING THREADS