Sandstorm

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Hello,

I want to buy a new mouse but I don't know which one I've to buy and what is a good price for a mouse. I want to use it for gaming and I can use some help so if you can help me I would appreciate it!

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have a mx518 for over a year. great mouse.

If your right handed go with logitech, either current G5, or wireless G7.
Any of those will do just fine. If you are left handed razorback is your friend.

I bought a Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse. The price was a little high; I think $54 or $59, but worth it. It works on any surface, and is programmable per application. For example, in Guild Wars, I use the tilting scroll wheel to select previous or next target; in a FPS you could do previous or next weapon.
You can also adjust the sensitivity while using it. Graphic artists who need to make fine movements will appreciate this, as would anyone trying to nail a head shot at range.
The weight is adjustable, if you care about that.
There is also a cordless version, the G7.

Otherwise, in my personal experience Logitech and M$ both make decent mice, but the M$ ones seem to track a little better on poor surfaces. I'm assuming, or course, that whatever you buy will be optical if not laser. $25 will buy an adequate rodent; the cheapies are better than mechanical ones, but after experiencing assorted skips and bumps with cheap optical mice, I'll spend an extra $10-$15.

Alternately, you might consider a trackball. Those rare occasions when I play Unreal Tournament, I prefer my M$ Trackball Explorer to a mouse. Targeting is not as precise, but movement is much quicker and there's no problem of running out of desk space.

Sandstorm

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I want to use the mouse for FPS and I've a Revoltec Lightpad Precision as mousepad. A friend of me told the Razer Copperhead is a great mouse. So I want to make a decision between the MX518, the G5, the G7 and the Copperhead. I know what DPI means but things like ips and frames per second I don't have an idea what is good. So can anyone tell me if we look at ips etc. what is the best mouse.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I use a Fatal1ty 1010 for my twitch gaming... it's really hard to get used to but ultimately worth it.

Any of the logitech series or the Razer line is pretty wicked.

Remember though a good gaming mouse will take a few days to get used to, and you may start out hating it... but stick with it and you will see the benefits soon.

Sandstorm

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Here in Holland the Copperhead is cheaper (50 euro) as the G5 (55 euro), do you mean both mouses are good or do you mean the Copperhead is better in your opinion?

infernal617

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi there. honestly, for a mouse, I would consider the logitech g5 for a wired one and a logitech g7 for its wireless alternative. I myself posess a g7 and had it for 8 months now. Superb control, no lag, precision is perfect. I do alot of of FPS gaming and alot of website creation (dreamweaver and photoshop) so the slowdown option on the fly is of paramount enjoyability (lol). Anyway, i tried the razor and felt it less natural than the logitech(felt strain in my hand very fast, maybe its just me also), that's why i bought the logitech G7.

Hope this can help guide you a bit.

Cheers
JiM

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, the Logitech G5 gaming mouse is great but a bit expensive. If you are really into gaming this would be worth it. It's accurate and costumizable and also have some weights adjustment for balanced movement.