NTFS scanning directories painfully slow

Hi All,

I am having a problem where my NTFS volumes are taking a very long
time to do directory scanning tasks.

For example, a directory containing ~2500 files will take twice as
long to show the files in explorer than a FAT32 directory containing
~15000 files.

Even a directory with only 20 or so movie files in it will take ~30
seconds before it retuns control back to the explorer window and show
the listing.

It seems to affect some directories and not others.

I have disabled indexing services and last accessed date setting.

This has happened on 3 different hard drives, a Western Digital,
Seagate, and Maxtor.

Anyone have any ideas?

If you defrag the drive and look at the report what is the status of
your mft? You will find this under volume information. It sounds like
it may be fragmented into multiple parts.

Utilities like perfect disk and diskeeper can do a boot time defrag
that will consolidate the mft.

--
wanderer

In article <6725u0l4j710h9kcq1fcdmjptpvp8chmr1@4ax.com>,
<snotty2000@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am having a problem where my NTFS volumes are taking a very long
>time to do directory scanning tasks.
>
>For example, a directory containing ~2500 files will take twice as
>long to show the files in explorer than a FAT32 directory containing
>~15000 files.
>
>Even a directory with only 20 or so movie files in it will take ~30
>seconds before it retuns control back to the explorer window and show
>the listing.
>
>It seems to affect some directories and not others.
>
>I have disabled indexing services and last accessed date setting.
>
>This has happened on 3 different hard drives, a Western Digital,
>Seagate, and Maxtor.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

download the eval version of PerfectDisk (www.raxco.com) and analyze
the disk. Do a reboot defrag (I _think_ the eval version will let you
do that.

I have no relationship with Raxco other than being a long-time
satisfied customer.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

I tried defraging the mft a while ago, but it didn't help the problem.

Maybe it's a hardware problem in my system somewhere or something.

Whatever it is, it's making me seriously think about converting to
fat32 on those drives.

In article <rilju05fo3tnogsuvtv6hcri61eftkkg0f@4ax.com>,
<snotty2000@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>I tried defraging the mft a while ago, but it didn't help the problem.
>
>Maybe it's a hardware problem in my system somewhere or something.
>
>Whatever it is, it's making me seriously think about converting to
>fat32 on those drives.

Were you _able_ to defag the $MFT ?

Perfectdisk can, during a reboot-defrag.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Maybe? Turn off indexing service? Turn off short filename or 8.3 name
creation? Turn off LastAccessDate? It might speed things up a bit...
but then it may not make any noticable difference. Just ideas.

John