Sign in with
Your question

SG-80: Up the RAM & mix n' match IDE/SATA?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2006 5:44:03 PM

This is a double banger fairly n00b question.

I have a Prescott 3.6 on an Abit SG80 mobo which has 2x512MB RAM, runs Win XP Pro SP2. I want to run Vista as soon as it's released. This is a stopgap system for about six months until I can afford to junk it all and go with a killer Core 2 Duo system. Therefore, budget is of the essence.

1) Can I rip out one of the 512 sticks and replace it with a 1GB? I understand that some mobos don't like having a 1GB in the one slot and 512MB in the other. Furthermore, if it can be done, does it make a difference which slot gets which stick?

2) I'm starting to run outta room on my two IDE drives so I wanted to pick up a 300GB SATA so that I can transfer it to the Core 2 Duo when the time comes. I understand that in a mixed IDE/SATA system the SATA should be the C boot drive. Is that correct? Can I just Ghost my current C drive to the SATA or should I spend half a day reinstalling XP from scratch? Any other problems I might encounter or anything else I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

More about : ram mix match ide sata

September 5, 2006 6:17:13 PM

I'm too lazy to look up what your mobo can take regarding ram sorry.
However I'd say just hook up the sata drive for storage.
Best performance would be trying to get windows on the sata due to speed.
However ease I'd just plug in and format.
September 5, 2006 8:28:15 PM

Thanks for your reply, Will. Can you tell me where I would go to find out the RAM info? I've checked the Abit website and it has no info at all about this. Just some general mobo specs and that's it.
Related resources
September 6, 2006 3:16:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Will. Can you tell me where I would go to find out the RAM info? I've checked the Abit website and it has no info at all about this. Just some general mobo specs and that's it.

Supports up to 2GB of Single channel DIMM modules, delivering bandwidth of 3.2GB/sec.

I think it will take a 1b but not to it's full potential.
I don't think you need over a gig or ram though/ it's not worth it.
Also I wouldn't suggest spending more money on DDR when DDr2 is now standard and you won't use it in the future.
So wait to get your 2x1GB DDR 800 or 1000 for your conroe.
Is this a pciX system?
A video card upgrade might be good lol nm on that... it's an AGP board I wouldn't suggest a new agp card unless yours is horrible/your using onboard and you wanna pick up a better one for $50-70.

Hope this helps.
September 8, 2006 12:56:38 AM

Quote:
Best performance would be trying to get windows on the sata due to speed.

The speed depends on the drive itself, not whether it's SATA or IDE. Both interfaces have more than enough bandwidth for any sub-$1000 drive.
When switching to a different motherboard, you will have to reinstall Win, since it installs different code depending on the MB chipset etc.
September 8, 2006 1:25:45 PM

Are you going to deny that having it's own channel+most sata drives are faster 150 vrs ata I believe topped 133?
Yes depends but generally a sata drive is faster.
The largest bonus is it won't share the channel with another ata HDD or cd-rom.
!