  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:29:01 AM

Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system partition)
and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
Thanks,
Tom C

More about : mirroring raid system

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 3:21:13 PM

Tom Conklin wrote:
> Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system
> partition) and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
> Thanks,
> Tom C

I doubt it - RAID5 itself requires three drives. Corrections welcome, of
course.

NB: I don't recommend software RAID on servers. Hardware SCSI RAID with good
fast drives & a hotspare is well worth the extra expense.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:37:48 PM

Since this is software ie. partition mirroring, yes you can have two of
the drives with mirrored partitions and three drives with a raid5
partition. This would leave the space on one drive that is not
available on the other two due to the mirror set.

Personally I would never recommend or use software raid in production
environment. Raid cards are cheap these days and so much faster/better
then software raid. Hardware raid takes the load off the cpu thereby
making your system faster/more responsive. Hardware raid also has the
ability of doing hot spares so if a drive fails in your raid array the
hot spare kicks in and replaces the failed drive without you ever
touching the system.

--
wanderer
January 13, 2005 11:46:03 PM

Tom

Yes, it does. Create your system partition on disk 0, mirror it to disk 1,
create your data partition on disks 0, 1 and 2. You will get free space as
large as your system partition on disk 2.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

"Tom Conklin" <TomConklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system partition)
>and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
>Thanks,
>Tom C
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:46:04 PM

Thanks - I thought so -
I wish this was on a HW RAID, but the site is a remote one, and rebuilding
is not a feasable option, so this should be the next best thing. I already
have the mirror established, so the addition of the the RAID 5 for the
remainder gives a bit more of a safety net.

Tom C

"Bjorn Landemoo" wrote:

> Tom
>
> Yes, it does. Create your system partition on disk 0, mirror it to disk 1,
> create your data partition on disks 0, 1 and 2. You will get free space as
> large as your system partition on disk 2.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bjorn
> --
> Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)
>
> "Tom Conklin" <TomConklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system partition)
> >and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
> >Thanks,
> >Tom C

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 3:24:25 AM

In article <wanderer.1itoa6@mail.mcse.ms>, wanderer.1itoa6@mail.mcse.ms
says...
> Hardware raid also has the
> ability of doing hot spares so if a drive fails in your raid array the
> hot spare kicks in and replaces the failed drive without you ever
> touching the system.

They even had hot-swappable IDE RAID cards available. I setup a Promise
SX6000 RAID controller with 6 x 250GB IDE drives and even tested the
hot-swap, dang drives are getting more like SCSI every day.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)