Mirroring AND raid 5 on the same system

Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system partition)
and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
Thanks,
Tom C
5 answers Last reply
More about mirroring raid system

    Tom Conklin wrote:
    > Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system
    > partition) and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
    > Thanks,
    > Tom C

    I doubt it - RAID5 itself requires three drives. Corrections welcome, of
    course.

    NB: I don't recommend software RAID on servers. Hardware SCSI RAID with good
    fast drives & a hotspare is well worth the extra expense.

    Since this is software ie. partition mirroring, yes you can have two of
    the drives with mirrored partitions and three drives with a raid5
    partition. This would leave the space on one drive that is not
    available on the other two due to the mirror set.

    Personally I would never recommend or use software raid in production
    environment. Raid cards are cheap these days and so much faster/better
    then software raid. Hardware raid takes the load off the cpu thereby
    making your system faster/more responsive. Hardware raid also has the
    ability of doing hot spares so if a drive fails in your raid array the
    hot spare kicks in and replaces the failed drive without you ever
    touching the system.

    --
    wanderer
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Tom

    Yes, it does. Create your system partition on disk 0, mirror it to disk 1,
    create your data partition on disks 0, 1 and 2. You will get free space as
    large as your system partition on disk 2.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "Tom Conklin" <TomConklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system partition)
    >and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
    >Thanks,
    >Tom C
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Thanks - I thought so -
    I wish this was on a HW RAID, but the site is a remote one, and rebuilding
    is not a feasable option, so this should be the next best thing. I already
    have the mirror established, so the addition of the the RAID 5 for the
    remainder gives a bit more of a safety net.

    Tom C

    "Bjorn Landemoo" wrote:

    > Tom
    >
    > Yes, it does. Create your system partition on disk 0, mirror it to disk 1,
    > create your data partition on disks 0, 1 and 2. You will get free space as
    > large as your system partition on disk 2.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Bjorn
    > --
    > Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)
    >
    > "Tom Conklin" <TomConklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Does Windows 2000 Server support BOTH mirroring (for the system partition)
    > >and RAID 5 for the rest of the available space on 3 drives?
    > >Thanks,
    > >Tom C

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    In article <wanderer.1itoa6@mail.mcse.ms>, wanderer.1itoa6@mail.mcse.ms
    says...
    > Hardware raid also has the
    > ability of doing hot spares so if a drive fails in your raid array the
    > hot spare kicks in and replaces the failed drive without you ever
    > touching the system.

    They even had hot-swappable IDE RAID cards available. I setup a Promise
    SX6000 RAID controller with 6 x 250GB IDE drives and even tested the
    hot-swap, dang drives are getting more like SCSI every day.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

NAS / RAID File System Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows