Changing system drive letters

I'd like to change the drive access letter of a system partition (NOT C:) is
there any tool that can help me change the relavent files so that E: becomes
G: to make room for cd drives.

i've used disk management and it does not allow me to do so
thanks very much all help appreciated
1 answer Last reply
More about changing system drive letters

    Hi, Ash.

    You've answered your own question, I'm afraid. :>(

    Disk Management can change drive letters for any volume EXCEPT the System
    Partition and the Boot Volume. (The terminology here is counter-intuitive
    and often misused, even by Microsoft. We BOOT from the SYSTEM partition and
    keep the operating SYSTEM files on the BOOT volume. The System Partition
    must be the Active primary partition (almost always Drive C:), but any
    primary partition or logical drive on any HD can be the boot volume for one
    Windows installation.)

    The only way that MS provides to change the drive letter for the system and
    logical volumes is to reinstall Windows. See:
    Cannot Change System Volume Drive Letter After Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223769

    I haven't used Partition Magic in so long that I've forgotten, but I think
    it used to do this. I'm sure others here can tell you if it still does, or
    if there is another third-party solution.

    Except for the system and boot volumes, though, you can use Disk Management
    to assign letters. I usually like to reserve the early letters for HD
    volumes by assigning CD/DVD drives, USB drives, etc., letters much further
    out in the alphabet, like V: for DVD or W: for a CD writer.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Ash" <Ash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to change the drive access letter of a system partition (NOT C:)
    > is
    > there any tool that can help me change the relavent files so that E:
    > becomes
    > G: to make room for cd drives.
    >
    > i've used disk management and it does not allow me to do so
    > thanks very much all help appreciated

File System Windows