Why are "amd" files installed in Win7 X64 Pro on Intel machine?

minimalist

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Is there any significance to the "amd" name on most of the files in Win7 install?

Does Microsoft anticipate I might boot this disk on different CPU hardware?

There sure are a lot of them ... and I'd like to remove the unnecessary ones to conserve space on an SSD drive, and avoid the voluminous Microsoft Updates every couple of days.

Solution
The "amd64" files are required for a 64-bit system. They have the initials "AMD" in them because the 64-bit extension of the Intel x86 architecture was actually created by AMD, and the first 64-bit x86-compatible processors were AMD processors. So when Microsoft first started adapting 64-bit Windows they were designing it for AMD processors.

Intel attempted to create a new RISC-based architecture called Itanium, but it failed to take hold in the marketplace. They were forced to belatedly came out with their own version of AMD's 64-bit design in order to stay in the market, and that's what everyone is now using.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Win 7 does not know what CPU you will be using so you get files for both types of CPU. I use an AMD CPU but I also have Intel files on my computer. Usually Microsoft only updates on the second Tues of the month but sometimes they will do an important update sooner.

minimalist

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I did not get the answer I was searching for.

Win7 doesn't know what cpu I will be using? How about the one I installed with?

The real question is ... can I remove all of those amd64 files and directories.

The "amd64" files are required for a 64-bit system. They have the initials "AMD" in them because the 64-bit extension of the Intel x86 architecture was actually created by AMD, and the first 64-bit x86-compatible processors were AMD processors. So when Microsoft first started adapting 64-bit Windows they were designing it for AMD processors.

Intel attempted to create a new RISC-based architecture called Itanium, but it failed to take hold in the marketplace. They were forced to belatedly came out with their own version of AMD's 64-bit design in order to stay in the market, and that's what everyone is now using.

Solution

minimalist

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
So "inertia" is the answer. Yes, HP and Intel had a consortium related to Intel Architecture (ia64),
which other vendors ( IBM "Monterey" and Sun ) avoided, for obvious complexity reasons.
Microsoft has given up on ia64 as well, and I think we only have HPUX in the ring on this architecture left.

AMD + Sun collaboration was very effective, and of course Intel caught up with their own 64-bit architecture
that was not risc based. And there are some "intel" identified install images loaded.

Looking through the list of stuff on my C: drive that I obviously don't need, just invites the mass destruction of all amd* files. There are two goals to this minimization effort:
- reduce the amount of junk in the installation.
- reduce the amount of UPGRADES against files that will never be used
- smaller installation means more effective use of an SSD
- smaller installation footprint means a smaller virtual disk image

I was looking for some deep understanding of the issue, and/or some tools to help clean out the inventory of installed files. I'll leave it at "requires more study" ... I no longer have the patience to deal with the daily mental lapses coming from Microsoft.

minimalist

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
So "inertia" is the answer. Yes, HP and Intel had a consortium related to Intel Architecture (ia64),
which other vendors ( IBM "Monterey" and Sun ) avoided, for obvious complexity reasons.
Microsoft has given up on ia64 as well, and I think we only have HPUX in the ring on this architecture left.

AMD + Sun collaboration was very effective, and of course Intel caught up with their own 64-bit architecture
that was not risc based. And there are some "intel" identified install images loaded.

Looking through the list of stuff on my C: drive that I obviously don't need, just invites the mass destruction of all amd* files. There are two goals to this minimization effort:
- reduce the amount of junk in the installation.
- reduce the amount of UPGRADES against files that will never be used
- smaller installation means more effective use of an SSD
- smaller installation footprint means a smaller virtual disk image

I was looking for some deep understanding of the issue, and/or some tools to help clean out the inventory of installed files. I'll leave it at "requires more study" ... I no longer have the patience to deal with the daily mental lapses coming from Microsoft.

TRENDING THREADS