User names

manik

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004

I had problems with virtual device driver in my win 2000,so i reinstalled
win2000 as a fresh copy on my C drive.(stupid me i did not think i loose all
my data)now i do not have any problems with VDD.but,when i explore windows i
can see all my previous files in program files folders and even contents of
my documents under adminstrator user.
there are 2 administrator users.one with administator-home-xxxxxxxxxx.i am
loging on using administator password (all previous files are also under
this user name)but i can not see them on desktop/mydocuments/and programs.
what should i do now.please help.

Appears you installed a second instance of the OS on the same partition.
Best to backup your data and start a clean install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Also FYI;
Virtual Device Driver Error Message in 16-Bit MS-DOS Subsystem
;254914]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];254914

The article is pretty straight-forward. You'll need to use
regedt32.exe.regedit.exe cannot create Reg_Multi_Sz strings. If you need to
recreate the VirtualDeviceDrivers key; highlight the key (in the left-hand
pane), then Edit|Delete Then (in the left-hand pane) position the cursor on
the "Control" key, (so you'll be creating directly under "Control") then
Edit|Add Key, then for the "Key Name:"
VirtualDeviceDrivers
You can leave the "Class:" blank Then proceed with steps four through seven.

Make sure your doing this logged on as local administrator.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]