System32 files

November 3, 2004 11:29:51 PM

Hello everyone

I have XP Pro and was searching for some files. I used Windows Explorer and
looked at C:\WINDOWS\system32. The first time that I did, I was warned that
these files were system and shouldn't be interfered with, otherwise the
system may not work. I clicked to reveal the files. When I closed down and
then looked at the folder again, the files were revealed immediately. How
can I restore the "warning pane" to act as the necessary security screen? I
recall that this occurred previously with another folder. I think that it
was C:\WINDOWS\system (is this correct and should a security pane exist in
any other folders?). Would the same process make this folder have the
protective pane too?

Thanks in advance.

More about : system32 files

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 11:29:52 PM

If you go to the win explorer and click on extras you will find the tag
folder options. Open it and in the lower part scroll to hidden files and
folders. Here you can choose how hidden folders and files should behave,
either have them visible or hidden. if they are hidden when you try to open
them you will get the warning you are lokking for.

"Tosca" wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I have XP Pro and was searching for some files. I used Windows Explorer and
> looked at C:\WINDOWS\system32. The first time that I did, I was warned that
> these files were system and shouldn't be interfered with, otherwise the
> system may not work. I clicked to reveal the files. When I closed down and
> then looked at the folder again, the files were revealed immediately. How
> can I restore the "warning pane" to act as the necessary security screen? I
> recall that this occurred previously with another folder. I think that it
> was C:\WINDOWS\system (is this correct and should a security pane exist in
> any other folders?). Would the same process make this folder have the
> protective pane too?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 11:29:52 PM

Hi,

Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options
as follows:

Disable (uncheck) "Display the contents of system folders"
Disable (uncheck) "Show hidden files and folders"
Enable (check): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone
>
> I have XP Pro and was searching for some files. I used Windows Explorer
> and
> looked at C:\WINDOWS\system32. The first time that I did, I was warned
> that
> these files were system and shouldn't be interfered with, otherwise the
> system may not work. I clicked to reveal the files. When I closed down
> and
> then looked at the folder again, the files were revealed immediately. How
> can I restore the "warning pane" to act as the necessary security screen?
> recall that this occurred previously with another folder. I think that it
> was C:\WINDOWS\system (is this correct and should a security pane exist in
> any other folders?). Would the same process make this folder have the
> protective pane too?
>
> Thanks in advance.

November 4, 2004 2:43:54 AM

Thanks Swiss Cheese, but I can't find "extras" or "folder options". Can you
be more explicit? I hope I'm not being stupid!

"Swiss cheese" <Swisscheese@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you go to the win explorer and click on extras you will find the tag
> folder options. Open it and in the lower part scroll to hidden files and
> folders. Here you can choose how hidden folders and files should behave,
> either have them visible or hidden. if they are hidden when you try to
open
> them you will get the warning you are lokking for.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 2:56:00 AM

Thank you David, but this was checked! I unchecked it, clicked "Apply",
then closed Windows Explorer. When I opened it again, the Ststem32 files
were still visible, without the "protection" pane. I went through the
process again, several times, checking and unchecking the box, prior to
clicking "apply". I did this at the C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\system32
levels. Nothing worked! Any other ideas?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:55:24 AM

Thanks everyone - I sorted it. I closed the tree view in the left pane of
Windows Explorer and that reverted to the XP category pane. When I
negotiated to C:\WINDOWS\system32, the top option was "Hide the contents of
this folder". I clicked this and the "protection pane" appeared!

As a matter of interest, I came across some registry settings: ShowHidden
and ShowVeryHidden which I changed. They didn't seem to make any difference
and I changed them back to their original settings before I stumbled upon
the solution that I've mentioned above.
!