deleting files but leaving folders intact

Greetings

I would like to know how to delete files & folders inside a specific folder
without having to manualy go into each folder and delete it myself, reason
being is there are over 1600 of them....

The existing structure is like this

studentsprofiles$\year\%username%\ <-anything below this needs to be deleted.

The folder %username% is a default users profile folder, i need to delete
whats in this folder but to keep the main profile folder with its permissions.

Please could anyone let me know how this can be done via script(which i dont
know how to do) or batchfile..

Many thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about deleting files leaving folders intact

    Hi, James.

    I'm not sure I understand your whole problem, but in your batch file (run
    from the "DOS" window or a Command Prompt, I assume), you can use the rd (or
    rmdir) command with the /s parameter. As with any command in the "DOS"
    window, type the command followed by /? to see a mini-Help file showing all
    the switches and parameters available with that command.

    Rd /? shows only /s and /q. The /s switch removes the named folder,
    including all the files and subfolders within it, after asking "Are you
    sure?" The /q skips the question and removes it all immediately.

    I don't really recall how to do this for many different <foldernames> in
    succession, because I haven't written any serious batch file in years. You
    would use a for...next loop, feeding it a folder name at a time from a list
    in a text file, I suppose, but I'll leave this step for someone else. ;^}

    Hmm... I reread your question. It asks about profiles and permissions,
    which I know nothing about. (As just one guy with one computer and no user
    but me, I haven't had to learn about those.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:19:06 -0800, "james.johnson" <james.johnson@cantell.southampton.sch.u k> wrote:

    >Greetings
    >
    >I would like to know how to delete files & folders inside a specific folder
    >without having to manualy go into each folder and delete it myself, reason
    >being is there are over 1600 of them....
    >
    >The existing structure is like this
    >
    >studentsprofiles$\year\%username%\ <-anything below this needs to be deleted.
    >
    >The folder %username% is a default users profile folder, i need to delete
    >whats in this folder but to keep the main profile folder with its permissions.
    >
    >Please could anyone let me know how this can be done via script(which i dont
    >know how to do) or batchfile..
    >
    >Many thanks.

    See Deltree at tip 617 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Thanks for all your help guys. I know batch files reasonably well. I will
    give it a try.

    regards
    James

File System Windows