Cant delete files

I am having a problem with deleting files that are deeply nested with the dir
structure for our RIS server. I think it has to do with the max lenght for a
file name of path. Is there any way to delete these without having to
re-format the RAID set to clean things up. We have several images now that
we cannot delete. I have tried taking ownership, re-permissioning, and even
overwriteing the file but they will just not delete. Any help would be
appreciated. As an example here is the path for one of the files I cant
delete:
D:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\Tech114_Dell_OptiplexGX270\i386\Mirror1\UserData\Documents
and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash
MX
2004\en\Configuration\Classes\mx\controls\streamingmedia\behaviors\namedframecuepointlistener.as
2 answers Last reply
More about cant delete files

    I found how to get around the problem use the RD command. I guess it ignores
    the long filename path and just deletes it, which is fine with me. but the
    command would be: rd folder /s

    "JayH" wrote:

    > I am having a problem with deleting files that are deeply nested with the dir
    > structure for our RIS server. I think it has to do with the max lenght for a
    > file name of path. Is there any way to delete these without having to
    > re-format the RAID set to clean things up. We have several images now that
    > we cannot delete. I have tried taking ownership, re-permissioning, and even
    > overwriteing the file but they will just not delete. Any help would be
    > appreciated. As an example here is the path for one of the files I cant
    > delete:
    > D:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\Tech114_Dell_OptiplexGX270\i386\Mirror1\UserData\Documents
    > and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash
    > MX
    > 2004\en\Configuration\Classes\mx\controls\streamingmedia\behaviors\namedframecuepointlistener.as

    Jay

    See if this MS Knowledge Base article can help you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=180410

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "JayH" <JayH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am having a problem with deleting files that are deeply nested with the dir
    >structure for our RIS server. I think it has to do with the max lenght for a
    >file name of path. Is there any way to delete these without having to
    >re-format the RAID set to clean things up. We have several images now that
    >we cannot delete. I have tried taking ownership, re-permissioning, and even
    >overwriteing the file but they will just not delete. Any help would be
    >appreciated. As an example here is the path for one of the files I cant
    >delete:
    >D:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\Tech114_Dell_OptiplexGX270\i386\Mirror1\UserData\Documents
    >and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash
    >MX
    >2004\en\Configuration\Classes\mx\controls\streamingmedia\behaviors\namedframecuepointlistener.as

File System Windows