  • File System
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 24, 2005 2:27:03 PM

I am having a problem with deleting files that are deeply nested with the dir
structure for our RIS server. I think it has to do with the max lenght for a
file name of path. Is there any way to delete these without having to
re-format the RAID set to clean things up. We have several images now that
we cannot delete. I have tried taking ownership, re-permissioning, and even
overwriteing the file but they will just not delete. Any help would be
appreciated. As an example here is the path for one of the files I cant
delete:
D:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\Tech114_Dell_OptiplexGX270\i386\Mirror1\UserData\Documents
and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash
MX
2004\en\Configuration\Classes\mx\controls\streamingmedia\behaviors\namedframecuepointlistener.as

More about : delete files

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:43:08 PM

I found how to get around the problem use the RD command. I guess it ignores
the long filename path and just deletes it, which is fine with me. but the
command would be: rd folder /s

"JayH" wrote:

> I am having a problem with deleting files that are deeply nested with the dir
> structure for our RIS server. I think it has to do with the max lenght for a
> file name of path. Is there any way to delete these without having to
> re-format the RAID set to clean things up. We have several images now that
> we cannot delete. I have tried taking ownership, re-permissioning, and even
> overwriteing the file but they will just not delete. Any help would be
> appreciated. As an example here is the path for one of the files I cant
> delete:
> D:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\Tech114_Dell_OptiplexGX270\i386\Mirror1\UserData\Documents
> and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash
> MX
> 2004\en\Configuration\Classes\mx\controls\streamingmedia\behaviors\namedframecuepointlistener.as

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:53:58 PM

Jay

See if this MS Knowledge Base article can help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=180410

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

!