Sign in with
Your question

New Conroe Build, All is well.

Last response: in CPUs
a c 80 à CPUs
September 4, 2006 9:27:06 PM

Given the number of posts with people 'concerned' about their Conroe builds I thought I'd say the following for those that might be being put off.

Just finished my E6600 build, it went well, very simple, no OC yet, will do a very mild OC later. Doing some stress testing, Prime 95 on both cores, seems to be OK, settles out at 45C by Speedfan (which the temp that the fan kicks in at, and the 'target temp' set on the mobo. Right mark is reporting 68-70 at that point, no thermal throttling though.

Only slighlty curious thing, is that according to CPU-Z I am running my memory at 533 with a 1:2 ratio? Mobo says 400, and the ram is spec'd to 400, so I doubt it is actually managing a 33% OC at std timings.

So... There are sucess stories out there of cheap boards and Exxxx's, just that no-one speaks of them. Hope this helps to settle a few nerves.

More about : conroe build

September 4, 2006 10:14:59 PM

Nice. :D 

First I've seen on this forum for the 'Asrock Dual 775 VSTA' MB running E6600.
a c 80 à CPUs
September 5, 2006 8:12:46 AM

Initially intended as a stop-gap build till I can replace RAM and migrate to Sata and PCI-E, which would have put another £500 / $700 on top of the build, so this was a perfect board for me, but I didn't want to scrimp on the chip and have to buy another one later on.
Related resources
September 5, 2006 8:49:54 AM

Quote:
You know, I am a little weary of the temperature and voltage reports from Bios and CPU-Z and other third parties on this chip --- I think there are still some bugs floating around in software that is not pulling the info correctly.

I see too many of these 70-80 deg C but HSF is cool to the touch posts. I am beginning to become skeptical the current set of software reports on the CPU specifics.

Jack
This seems to be happening on most mobo's, not just one in particular or a certain chipset. This must have to do with more than just software?

@Jack.... Would there be a different thermal diode on C2D, and if so, could it be that much trickier for software to get a proper reading off of?
a c 80 à CPUs
September 5, 2006 8:51:14 AM

Quote:
You would actually be running at 266FSB:200RAM, whatever that simplifies down to.

What does CPU-Z say for your RAM's frequency? (Should be 200Mhz, ignore that ratio crap because you know what you've set to)

Don't bother with a PCIe gfx card that's higher than 7800GT or X1800GTO, you'll be serverly bandwidth limited by PCIe 4x. Performance hit with a X1900XT shown at LegitReview.

The Board itself will be a stop-gap will change to a better and higher spec'd board when the time comes, maybe then I'll read the guide and do some overclocking, unless it has been archived, I think interest will keep it alive.

CPU-Z says in the memory section, tried to post a pic but failed.
Frequency = 533.8Mhz
FSB:D RAM 1:2
Cas 2.5 clocks.

etc. timings of 2.5-3-3-8 are correct but the freq is wrong, seems an odd thing to report wrong.

Its not a problem, just an observation.

Jumpin Jack, on this board at least, Speedfan reports what the mobo is seeing and what the mobo is managing the CPU fan control by. RMClock is at +25-30C on top of that, which would worry most people. But yes it is frustrating not being sure of the temp, I'm just taking solace knowing that so many people are in the same boat, and no-one has killed their CPU yet. Perhaps a community effort to link software and chipsets that appear to be reporting correctly together would stop some posts (assuming people actually read other posts before starting a new one, ah I think I have spotted the flaw in the plan)
September 5, 2006 9:02:33 AM

Quote:
What would the point of sensors be if they are this inaccurate and varied?
Because Intel never did have the intention for consumers to use those sensors to monitor temperature. They are two temperature sensors. One is to trigger the shut down threshold and the other (added in recent years) to trigger the throttle threshold.
Software makers wrongfully use the 2nd sensor to write software and in trying to determine core temperature through that.

Intel delibrately didn't write any intructions/whitepaper on how software makers should determine the temperature of DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor) or know as Thermal Sensor2 (TM2).
Software like Core Temp programs Tmax into the overall calculation as well.
Exact details I don't know cuz I'm just a plain overclockers. :p That seems counter-productive of Intel to keep the software writers from getting the proper temps. Intel lists "thermal specification" on the sSpec datasheets, so you would think they'd be happy that people are monitoring their temps, thereby reducing the chances of overheating/warranty problems. :?
a c 80 à CPUs
September 5, 2006 9:06:01 AM

Quote:
Somehow it's the way how that VIA chipset implants DDR1 so it translates into DDR2 frequency.
Depending on what DDR400 you got, probably could overclock it by raising voltage and relaxing timing to get it clock above 200Mhz (closer to 266Mhz to catch up with bandwidth).

Want to let everything settle down a bit first, It's only run for about 8 hours in total so far. Will give it a week or two, let me get some benchmarking in, and then start to fiddle and see if it makes a difference.

Its a Twinmos set, and appear to be twinmos modules. I'm sure I can get something out of them, but compared to my old XP3200+ its a bit quicker, so I'm happy for a while.
September 5, 2006 9:10:06 AM

Quote:
Somehow it's the way how that VIA chipset implants DDR1 so it translates into DDR2 frequency.
Depending on what DDR400 you got, probably could overclock it by raising voltage and relaxing timing to get it clock above 200Mhz (closer to 266Mhz to catch up with bandwidth).

Want to let everything settle down a bit first, It's only run for about 8 hours in total so far. Will give it a week or two, let me get some benchmarking in, and then start to fiddle and see if it makes a difference.

Its a Twinmos set, and appear to be twinmos modules. I'm sure I can get something out of them, but compared to my old XP3200+ its a bit quicker, so I'm happy for a while.I would hope it's more than a bit quicker. 8O
a c 80 à CPUs
September 5, 2006 9:21:28 AM

Quote:

Its a Twinmos set, and appear to be twinmos modules. I'm sure I can get something out of them, but compared to my old XP3200+ its a bit quicker, so I'm happy for a while.I would hope it's more than a bit quicker. 8O

You'll have to remember I'm english, we treat understatement as a national sport:) 

But on a more serious note, day-to-day I have yet to notice much, but haven't installed BF2 or Oblivion yet, or migrated my mail across, or gotten the other small apps that were always in background, I suspect I will see it not slowing down, rather than being quicker, if you know what I mean.
September 5, 2006 9:25:20 AM

Quote:

You'll have to remember I'm english, we treat understatement as a national sport:) 

But on a more serious note, day-to-day I have yet to notice much, but haven't installed BF2 or Oblivion yet, or migrated my mail across, or gotten the other small apps that were always in background, I suspect I will see it not slowing down, rather than being quicker, if you know what I mean.Yeah, should be a huge improvement in multitasking. :) 
September 5, 2006 12:32:02 PM

Quote:
I see too many of these 70-80 deg C but HSF is cool to the touch posts. I am beginning to become skeptical the current set of software reports on the CPU specifics.

I suspect a good deal of them are due to incorrectly seated heatsinks :) 
!