VIVO no colour WTF?

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
im using a x800xt to backup my old vhs tapes. I have video and sound, but there's no colour. I am currently using the yellow, white and red cables. What can i do to get colour back?

thundercamel

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
unplug the yellow video cable that's going into the card, and plug it into a monitor to make sure the picture has color. if so, the card or drivers are bad. if the picture still doesn't have color, then i would ask if you're using an s-vhs vcr, that has an s-video output, and an adaptor to convert s-video to composite video (the yellow rca cable). in s-video, one of the wire pairs is for luminance, and the other for chrominance (color). if the chrominance pair is broken somewhere along the way, all you'll get is a black and white picture.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
i had a similar problem i was using rca cables to record programs from sat tv and only had b/w kept the rca for sound(rca to line in connector) and switched to s-video for picture problem solved works great now

did you make sure that the tv out is set to NTSC for US/Canada/ect and PAL if you are over seas?

I know that when i setup my card it gave me black and white(but jumpy)....it was pal...

And on my laptop i had to tell it i was running RCA and not s-vid to make it color...just a thought....

hope this helps

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Where are you located - if you are located in England then simply NTSC is the wrong setting - set it to PAL and your colour should be fine

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
it is currently set at ntsc m. the only other ntsc option is mj. what do those settigns mean?

NTSC M is North American NTSC, with .75 IRE black setup. NTSC MJ is Japanese NTSC with 0 IRE Black, also used for DVD. There is also a verison of NTSC in Brazil which uses European scan rates of 625 lines at 50hz, a bad system. For DVD authoring you'd probably be best off using NTSC MJ with its DVD conformation.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
argh, there's like no help on the MS site at all..I've tried both pinnicle studio and WMM. Black and white for both. Gonna try Premiere Pro next.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
argh, there's like no help on the MS site at all..I've tried both pinnicle studio and WMM. Black and white for both. Gonna try Premiere Pro next.

Trust me, the issue is not software. Your capture card is not seeing the chroma, either because it's set to the wrong standard, or is actually defective.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
If i purchased another pcie card say, 6800gt, or w/e with a svideo tvout will i be able to use it to capture? or is my x800xt a special case?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
If i purchased another pcie card say, 6800gt, or w/e with a svideo tvout will i be able to use it to capture? or is my x800xt a special case?

Probably the best consumer capture card is the ATI Theatre 550 Pro (and its Sapphire and Tul etc. rebadges.) It has an excellent comb filter and near-perfect levels at default. There's also the newer Theatre 650 but there seem to be some issues with that chipset. You never get the best capture facilities in a video (out) card, though the high-end Nvidias are not bad, they don't have that great comb filter though.