No More Ink Woes

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
August 14, 2005 10:42:14 PM

Well, Finaly got fed up with dealing with ink And refilling ink carts.

Seeing I no longer am into photos I felt it time to switch to Color Laser,
The straw that finaly did it was when I refilled my 45 and 78 carts on my HP
Phosmart 1100 printer and spent much time on getting air out and nozzles
cleaned, then doing 2 photos Ok, next day again poor or no magenta and cyan!
cleaned and cursed to no avail so realized I needed new carts again, For
another $100.00 Cdn. (BTW the HP photosmart P1100 has been a great printer,
6 years and nary a problem with the printer itself)

So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these numbers
cosistantly.

Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good inkjet
but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page WITHOUT
using up the CMY carts.

Refilling toner Carts apparently is a breeze and very cost efective, Will
look at this later, The carts included are good for 3000 prints , New or
refiils for carts is 5000 pages, Duty cycle for this printer is 50,000 per
month, this is really a small office machine so should last me for many
years.

I have printed 358 pages so far and used about 10% of the toner, I have it
on my network so both my son and I can use it without having to have my
computer turned on.

So far I am comletely satidfied with the speed and quality of it's output.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

More about : ink woes

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 14, 2005 10:51:05 PM

"Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Well, Finaly got fed up with dealing with ink And refilling ink carts.
>
> Seeing I no longer am into photos I felt it time to switch to Color Laser,
> The straw that finaly did it was when I refilled my 45 and 78 carts on my
> HP Phosmart 1100 printer and spent much time on getting air out and
> nozzles cleaned, then doing 2 photos Ok, next day again poor or no magenta
> and cyan! cleaned and cursed to no avail so realized I needed new carts
> again, For another $100.00 Cdn. (BTW the HP photosmart P1100 has been a
> great printer, 6 years and nary a problem with the printer itself)
>
> So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
> researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
> minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these
> numbers cosistantly.
>
> Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good
> inkjet but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page
> WITHOUT using up the CMY carts.
>
> Refilling toner Carts apparently is a breeze and very cost efective, Will
> look at this later, The carts included are good for 3000 prints , New or
> refiils for carts is 5000 pages, Duty cycle for this printer is 50,000 per
> month, this is really a small office machine so should last me for many
> years.
>
> I have printed 358 pages so far and used about 10% of the toner, I have
> it on my network so both my son and I can use it without having to have my
> computer turned on.
>
> So far I am comletely satidfied with the speed and quality of it's output.
>
> Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Oops, Help Spell Checker

So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's output.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne
August 15, 2005 4:43:17 AM

"Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>Well, Finaly got fed up with dealing with ink And refilling ink carts.
>
>Seeing I no longer am into photos I felt it time to switch to Color Laser,
>The straw that finaly did it was when I refilled my 45 and 78 carts on my HP
>Phosmart 1100 printer and spent much time on getting air out and nozzles
>cleaned, then doing 2 photos Ok, next day again poor or no magenta and cyan!
>cleaned and cursed to no avail so realized I needed new carts again, For
>another $100.00 Cdn. (BTW the HP photosmart P1100 has been a great printer,
>6 years and nary a problem with the printer itself)
>
>So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
>researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
>minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these numbers
>cosistantly.
>
>Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good inkjet
>but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page WITHOUT
>using up the CMY carts.
>
>Refilling toner Carts apparently is a breeze and very cost efective, Will
>look at this later, The carts included are good for 3000 prints , New or
>refiils for carts is 5000 pages, Duty cycle for this printer is 50,000 per
>month, this is really a small office machine so should last me for many
>years.
>
>I have printed 358 pages so far and used about 10% of the toner, I have it
>on my network so both my son and I can use it without having to have my
>computer turned on.
>
>So far I am comletely satidfied with the speed and quality of it's output.
>
>Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Rene
I'm not surprised you are happy with the OKI c5150n it is one of a fine range
of colour lasers from OKI. We almost never have trouble with them and have an
installed base of many hundreds. Bit of a problem for the service business
because of their high reliability but that's good for the customer. Well priced
and cost per page is very competitive.
Tony
a b α HP
August 15, 2005 12:53:21 PM

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Oops, Help Spell Checker
>
> So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's output.
>
> Regards, Rene Lamontagne

I have both a laser B&W and an inkjet. Even when printing black and
white images, the laser is not really that good on images. Of course,
it is only a 600 dpi printer, compared to 2400 for inkjet.

So I only use the laser for text and draft stuff.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2005 6:24:17 PM

"Don Stauffer" <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote in message
news:o 71Me.11$iJ6.8951@news.uswest.net...
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>

>> Oops, Help Spell Checker
>>
>> So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's
>> output.
>>
>> Regards, Rene Lamontagne
>>

> I have both a laser B&W and an inkjet. Even when printing black and white
> images, the laser is not really that good on images. Of course, it is
> only a 600 dpi printer, compared to 2400 for inkjet.
>
> So I only use the laser for text and draft stuff.

Well I didn't expect to get the same quality as a good inkjet, But at 1200
dpi I find it quite acceptable for my purpuse, Naturally this may not suit
people who are primarily interested in photo work.

If I need a few top quality prints I will just have them done at a photo
shop, But to me and my purpose the lasers advantages far outwiegt this one
issue.

For instance I needed a PDF manual which is composed of many technical
photos in color and is 161 pages long, total time for the job was 13 and 1/2
minutes double sided on bright white 24 lb paper, Beatiful job, looks like
it was done on a commercial press.

So as you can see each persons print jobs will vary widely and require
different approaches and equipment, In my case the Okidata c5150n was the
way to go, and I will never look back.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne
August 15, 2005 8:23:25 PM

In message <agMLe.216142$5V4.33111@pd7tw3no>, Rene Lamontagne
<rlamont@shaw.ca> writes

>So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
>researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
>minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these numbers
>cosistantly.
>
>Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good inkjet
>but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page WITHOUT
>using up the CMY carts.

How do you find it, some reviews I've seen have moaned that the LED
technology of the OKIs doesn't produce as good colours as a traditional
laser or a solid ink.

--
Timothy
August 15, 2005 8:37:07 PM

In message <o71Me.11$iJ6.8951@news.uswest.net>, Don Stauffer
<stauffer@usfamily.net> writes
>Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>> Oops, Help Spell Checker
>> So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's
>>output.
>> Regards, Rene Lamontagne
>>

>I have both a laser B&W and an inkjet. Even when printing black and
>white images, the laser is not really that good on images. Of course,
>it is only a 600 dpi printer, compared to 2400 for inkjet.
>
>So I only use the laser for text and draft stuff.

You need to look at the dithering process it uses in the print
properties. A 300 dpi laser like the old IIp I had can churn out quite a
decent black and white image, although it will have dithering spots a
bit like a newspaper.

I remember that if I told it to print an image one pixel per dot it
would give me quite a decent (if small) image.

--
Timothy
Anonymous

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>Well, Finaly got fed up with dealing with ink And refilling ink carts.

*Great! No need to keep supporting the whores.*

>Seeing I no longer am into photos I felt it time to switch to Color Laser,
>The straw that finaly did it was when I refilled my 45 and 78 carts on my HP
>Phosmart 1100 printer and spent much time on getting air out and nozzles
>cleaned, then doing 2 photos Ok, next day again poor or no magenta and cyan!
>cleaned and cursed to no avail so realized I needed new carts again, For
>another $100.00 Cdn. (BTW the HP photosmart P1100 has been a great printer,
>6 years and nary a problem with the printer itself)
>
>So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
>researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
>minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these numbers
>cosistantly.
>
>Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good inkjet
>but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page WITHOUT
>using up the CMY carts.
>
>Refilling toner Carts apparently is a breeze and very cost efective, Will
>look at this later, The carts included are good for 3000 prints , New or
>refiils for carts is 5000 pages, Duty cycle for this printer is 50,000 per
>month, this is really a small office machine so should last me for many
>years.
>
>I have printed 358 pages so far and used about 10% of the toner, I have it
>on my network so both my son and I can use it without having to have my
>computer turned on.
>
>So far I am comletely satidfied with the speed and quality of it's output.
>
>Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2005 10:44:59 PM

"me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote in message
> In message <agMLe.216142$5V4.33111@pd7tw3no>, Rene Lamontagne
> <rlamont@shaw.ca> writes
>>
>>So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
>>researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
>>minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these
>>numbers
>>cosistantly.
>>
>>Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good
>>inkjet
>>but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page
>>WITHOUT
>>using up the CMY carts.
>>
> How do you find it, some reviews I've seen have moaned that the LED
> technology of the OKIs doesn't produce as good colours as a traditional
> laser or a solid ink.
>
> --
> Timothy

I have compared the store printouts from HP, Lexmark.Samsung and
Minolta/Konica and the results seemed comparable colorwise, There are about
6 color prfiles supplied with this unit, I am using 6500K -vivid and find
The color to match my monitor and Know good prints quite closely, so close
in fact that I have not bothered to tweak the colors at all.
I have never seen output of solid ink printers yet so can't comment on them.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne
August 17, 2005 9:22:44 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:51:05 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>> So far I am comletely satidfied with the speed and quality of it's output.

>Oops, Help Spell Checker
>
>So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's output.
>
>Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Grammar checker:
So far I am completely satisfied with the speed and quality of its
output.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 17, 2005 9:22:45 PM

"Alan" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:51:05 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

>>> So far I am comletely satidfied with the speed and quality of it's
>>> output.
>

>>Oops, Help Spell Checker
>>
>>So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's
>>output.
>>
>>Regards, Rene Lamontagne
>

> Grammar checker:
> So far I am completely satisfied with the speed and quality of its
> output.

Well I'm 71 and the last time I went to school was about 54 years ago, so I
hope you can excuse the grammer.
Outlook Express has no built in spell check or grammer check and I have
never bothered to add one. I'll try and do better on the spelling. :-))

Regards, Rene Lamontagne
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 17, 2005 9:22:46 PM

> Well I'm 71 and the last time I went to school was about 54 years ago, so
> hope you can excuse the grammer.
> Outlook Express has no built in spell check or grammer check and I have
> never bothered to add one. I'll try and do better on the spelling. :-))
>
> Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Outlook Express *does* have a spelling checker ... it can be set to
automatically check your spelling before sending the message (see the
preferences ... in IE I think) or used independently (see the
'Tools/Spelling...' menu item or the 'Spelling' item in the menu bar).
August 17, 2005 9:22:47 PM

RSD99 wrote:
> "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Well I'm 71 and the last time I went to school was about 54 years ago, so

>>hope you can excuse the grammer.
>>Outlook Express has no built in spell check or grammer check and I have
>>never bothered to add one. I'll try and do better on the spelling. :-))
>>
>>Regards, Rene Lamontagne
>>

> Outlook Express *does* have a spelling checker ... it can be set to
> automatically check your spelling before sending the message (see the
> preferences ... in IE I think) or used independently (see the
> 'Tools/Spelling...' menu item or the 'Spelling' item in the menu bar).

Not true. You need to have some other program like MS Word installed,
that has a dictionary installed before Outlook Express will have a
workable spell checker.
Otherwise it's greyed out.
Frank
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 18, 2005 4:18:01 AM

"Frank" <fb@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:D wJMe.1240$sw6.446@fed1read05...
> RSD99 wrote:
>> "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>

>>>Well I'm 71 and the last time I went to school was about 54 years ago, so

>>>hope you can excuse the grammer.
>>>Outlook Express has no built in spell check or grammer check and I have
>>>never bothered to add one. I'll try and do better on the spelling. :-))
>>>
>>>Regards, Rene Lamontagne
>>>

>> Outlook Express *does* have a spelling checker ... it can be set to
>> automatically check your spelling before sending the message (see the
>> preferences ... in IE I think) or used independently (see the
>> 'Tools/Spelling...' menu item or the 'Spelling' item in the menu bar).
>>

> Not true. You need to have some other program like MS Word installed, that
> has a dictionary installed before Outlook Express will have a workable
> spell checker.
> Otherwise it's greyed out.
> Frank

Frank is 100% correct...... It is grayed out if you don't have MS office or
some other compatible dictionary installed, It does not work with Open
Office 1.1.4 which is the office suite I am using.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne
August 18, 2005 7:16:32 AM

> I do not believe Outlook Express comes with a spell checker.

You are essentally correct. I'm not possitive but I think while OE
comes with spell checking provisions, I think it just uses the same
dictionary that comes with MS word / Office. I'm not posstive on this
point, but I think one could in theory add their own dictionary file
and so long as it was in the right format OE could possibly use that as
the dictionary and do the spell checking thing without word being
installed.

I imagine someone will come by and correct me if i'm totally off base.
August 18, 2005 12:34:20 PM

In message <ZsQMe.35833$vj.26982@pd7tw1no>, Rene Lamontagne
<rlamont@shaw.ca> writes

>Frank is 100% correct...... It is grayed out if you don't have MS office or
>some other compatible dictionary installed, It does not work with Open
>Office 1.1.4 which is the office suite I am using.

Good for you! Now we just need to wean you off of OE!

--
Timothy
Anonymous

I do not believe Outlook Express comes with a spell checker. It shares
one with Word, One Note, and some other programs you need to pay for, if
you have those on your computer.

Netscape comes with a free spell checker.

Art

!