Restore windows 2000 system

I need to restore my win2k system But I dont have a ERD and the repair from
cd can not find my system files c:\winnt\repair folder does not contain a
backup of my system files. what are my options?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about restore windows 2000 system

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292175

    What's the nature of your problem? Maybe someone has a fix other than
    an In-Place Upgrade. Perhaps the installation can be repaired
    otherwise, from the Repair Console or via a paralell installation. If
    you do an In-Place Upgrade you will need to reapply your Service Pack
    and hot fixes.

    John

    Don wrote:

    > I need to restore my win2k system But I dont have a ERD and the repair from
    > cd can not find my system files c:\winnt\repair folder does not contain a
    > backup of my system files. what are my options?
    >
    > Thanks

    this is what I'm getting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075
    I do step 6 O.K. I do step 7 and get an error "file can not be found". I go
    to my systemroot repair directory and the "system" file is not there. I have
    done this fix before and it works fine but the system file is not in the
    repair directory and I have yet to find a way around it.

    "John John" wrote:

    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292175
    >
    > What's the nature of your problem? Maybe someone has a fix other than
    > an In-Place Upgrade. Perhaps the installation can be repaired
    > otherwise, from the Repair Console or via a paralell installation. If
    > you do an In-Place Upgrade you will need to reapply your Service Pack
    > and hot fixes.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Don wrote:
    >
    > > I need to restore my win2k system But I dont have a ERD and the repair from
    > > cd can not find my system files c:\winnt\repair folder does not contain a
    > > backup of my system files. what are my options?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    I have also tried the inplace upgrade and do an L to locate files and it says
    it can not find them

    "John John" wrote:

    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292175
    >
    > What's the nature of your problem? Maybe someone has a fix other than
    > an In-Place Upgrade. Perhaps the installation can be repaired
    > otherwise, from the Repair Console or via a paralell installation. If
    > you do an In-Place Upgrade you will need to reapply your Service Pack
    > and hot fixes.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Don wrote:
    >
    > > I need to restore my win2k system But I dont have a ERD and the repair from
    > > cd can not find my system files c:\winnt\repair folder does not contain a
    > > backup of my system files. what are my options?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    I see. If you don't have a System Hive to replace the corrupt one then
    you are pretty well up the creek without a paddle, but... You could
    install W2K on another partition/drive or in a paralell folder then copy
    the system hive from the new install to the old. Or copy the backup
    hive in the repair folder to the other repair folder, you think that
    might work?

    John

    Don wrote:
    > this is what I'm getting
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075
    > I do step 6 O.K. I do step 7 and get an error "file can not be found". I go
    > to my systemroot repair directory and the "system" file is not there. I have
    > done this fix before and it works fine but the system file is not in the
    > repair directory and I have yet to find a way around it.
    >
    > "John John" wrote:
    >

    >>How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292175
    >>
    >>What's the nature of your problem? Maybe someone has a fix other than
    >>an In-Place Upgrade. Perhaps the installation can be repaired
    >>otherwise, from the Repair Console or via a paralell installation. If
    >>you do an In-Place Upgrade you will need to reapply your Service Pack
    >>and hot fixes.
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>Don wrote:
    >>

    >>>I need to restore my win2k system But I dont have a ERD and the repair from
    >>>cd can not find my system files c:\winnt\repair folder does not contain a
    >>>backup of my system files. what are my options?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Yea at this point I think thats my only option I'm trying that now. Thanks JJ

    "John John" wrote:

    > I see. If you don't have a System Hive to replace the corrupt one then
    > you are pretty well up the creek without a paddle, but... You could
    > install W2K on another partition/drive or in a paralell folder then copy
    > the system hive from the new install to the old. Or copy the backup
    > hive in the repair folder to the other repair folder, you think that
    > might work?
    >
    > John
    >
    > Don wrote:
    > > this is what I'm getting
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075
    > > I do step 6 O.K. I do step 7 and get an error "file can not be found". I go
    > > to my systemroot repair directory and the "system" file is not there. I have
    > > done this fix before and it works fine but the system file is not in the
    > > repair directory and I have yet to find a way around it.
    > >
    > > "John John" wrote:
    > >

    > >>How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292175
    > >>
    > >>What's the nature of your problem? Maybe someone has a fix other than
    > >>an In-Place Upgrade. Perhaps the installation can be repaired
    > >>otherwise, from the Repair Console or via a paralell installation. If
    > >>you do an In-Place Upgrade you will need to reapply your Service Pack
    > >>and hot fixes.
    > >>
    > >>John

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    You're welcome, let us know if it works.

    John

    Don wrote:
    > Yea at this point I think thats my only option I'm trying that now. Thanks JJ
    >
    > "John John" wrote:
    >

    >>I see. If you don't have a System Hive to replace the corrupt one then
    >>you are pretty well up the creek without a paddle, but... You could
    >>install W2K on another partition/drive or in a paralell folder then copy
    >>the system hive from the new install to the old. Or copy the backup
    >>hive in the repair folder to the other repair folder, you think that
    >>might work?
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>Don wrote:
    >>
    >>>this is what I'm getting
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075
    >>>I do step 6 O.K. I do step 7 and get an error "file can not be found". I go
    >>>to my systemroot repair directory and the "system" file is not there. I have
    >>>done this fix before and it works fine but the system file is not in the
    >>>repair directory and I have yet to find a way around it.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG (F8 and
    choose Last Known Good), It may be possible to rename the system hive found
    in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Don" wrote:
    | this is what I'm getting
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075
    | I do step 6 O.K. I do step 7 and get an error "file can not be found". I
    go
    | to my systemroot repair directory and the "system" file is not there. I
    have
    | done this fix before and it works fine but the system file is not in the
    | repair directory and I have yet to find a way around it.
    |
    | "John John" wrote:
    |
    | > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292175
    | >
    | > What's the nature of your problem? Maybe someone has a fix other than
    | > an In-Place Upgrade. Perhaps the installation can be repaired
    | > otherwise, from the Repair Console or via a paralell installation. If
    | > you do an In-Place Upgrade you will need to reapply your Service Pack
    | > and hot fixes.
    | >
    | > John
    | >
    | > Don wrote:
    | >
    | > > I need to restore my win2k system But I dont have a ERD and the repair
    from
    | > > cd can not find my system files c:\winnt\repair folder does not
    contain a
    | > > backup of my system files. what are my options?
    | > >
    | > > Thanks

File System Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows