Event ID: 8003
Date: 2/1/2005
Time: 7:21:20 AM
User: N/A
Computer: [DomainController]
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
[My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
stopping or an election is being forced.
6 answers Last reply
More about workstation forcing election domain

    What OS - exactly are they running? You said "server", so are they actually
    running a Server version of Windows?

    Mike Ober.

    "EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com"
    <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
    > are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force
    an
    > election? This is the error I am reading.
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: MRxSmb
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 8003
    > Date: 2/1/2005
    > Time: 7:21:20 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: [DomainController]
    > The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    > [My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
    > domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
    > stopping or an election is being forced.

    What version of Windows do you have on your servers? For example, windows
    2000 Pro will force an election in an NT4 domain - the PDC will win, but the
    election will occur.

    Mike.

    "EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com"
    <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
    > are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force
    an
    > election? This is the error I am reading.
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: MRxSmb
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 8003
    > Date: 2/1/2005
    > Time: 7:21:20 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: [DomainController]
    > The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    > [My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
    > domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
    > stopping or an election is being forced.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 05:15:05 -0800, EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
    >are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force an
    >election? This is the error I am reading.
    >
    >Event Type: Error
    >Event Source: MRxSmb
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 8003
    >Date: 2/1/2005
    >Time: 7:21:20 AM
    >User: N/A
    >Computer: [DomainController]
    >The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    >[My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
    >domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
    >stopping or an election is being forced.

    See tip 148 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    This is totally normal and expected. You will note in event viewer its
    an informational message. This is how MS browsing works. This is not
    something to be concerned about.

    --
    wanderer
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Check the subnet mask in the client machine. It should exactly match the
    subnet mask of the domain controller.

    This fixed the problem once for me, anyway.

    -LLiioonneell

    "EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com"
    <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
    > are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force
    > an
    > election? This is the error I am reading.
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: MRxSmb
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 8003
    > Date: 2/1/2005
    > Time: 7:21:20 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: [DomainController]
    > The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    > [My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
    > domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
    > stopping or an election is being forced.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Windows NT Server Resource Kit
    Chapter 3 - Windows NT Browser Service

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsnt/4/server/reskit/en-us/net/chptr3.mspx

    Lionel Goulet wrote:

    > Check the subnet mask in the client machine. It should exactly match the
    > subnet mask of the domain controller.
    >
    > This fixed the problem once for me, anyway.
    >
    > -LLiioonneell
    >
    > "EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com"
    > <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
    >>are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force
    >>an
    >>election? This is the error I am reading.
    >>
    >>Event Type: Error
    >>Event Source: MRxSmb
    >>Event Category: None
    >>Event ID: 8003
    >>Date: 2/1/2005
    >>Time: 7:21:20 AM
    >>User: N/A
    >>Computer: [DomainController]
    >>The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    >>[My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
    >>domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
    >>stopping or an election is being forced.

Browsers Workstations Windows