Workstation Forcing an Election in the Domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 2, 2005 8:15:05 AM

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force an
election? This is the error I am reading.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003
Date: 2/1/2005
Time: 7:21:20 AM
User: N/A
Computer: [DomainController]
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
[My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
stopping or an election is being forced.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:27:31 AM

What OS - exactly are they running? You said "server", so are they actually
running a Server version of Windows?

Mike Ober.

"EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com"
<EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
> are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force
an
> election? This is the error I am reading.
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MRxSmb
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 8003
> Date: 2/1/2005
> Time: 7:21:20 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: [DomainController]
> The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> [My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
> domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
> stopping or an election is being forced.

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:28:30 AM

What version of Windows do you have on your servers? For example, windows
2000 Pro will force an election in an NT4 domain - the PDC will win, but the
election will occur.

Mike.

"EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com"
<EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
> are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force
an
> election? This is the error I am reading.
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MRxSmb
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 8003
> Date: 2/1/2005
> Time: 7:21:20 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: [DomainController]
> The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> [My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
> domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
> stopping or an election is being forced.

February 2, 2005 11:44:33 AM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 05:15:05 -0800, EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
>are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force an
>election? This is the error I am reading.
>
>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: MRxSmb
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 8003
>Date: 2/1/2005
>Time: 7:21:20 AM
>User: N/A
>Computer: [DomainController]
>The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
>[My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
>domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
>stopping or an election is being forced.

See tip 148 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:09:06 PM

This is totally normal and expected. You will note in event viewer its
an informational message. This is how MS browsing works. This is not
something to be concerned about.

--
wanderer
March 25, 2005 4:11:41 PM

Check the subnet mask in the client machine. It should exactly match the
subnet mask of the domain controller.

This fixed the problem once for me, anyway.

-LLiioonneell

"EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com"
<EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have see this with others who
> are running server on their workstation, but I am not. Why would I force
> an
> election? This is the error I am reading.
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MRxSmb
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 8003
> Date: 2/1/2005
> Time: 7:21:20 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: [DomainController]
> The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> [My_2000_Workstation] that believes that it is the master browser for the
> domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{338065AB-224F-4A32. The master browser is
> stopping or an election is being forced.

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:48:37 PM

Windows NT Server Resource Kit
Chapter 3 - Windows NT Browser Service