Sign in with
Your question

hit an OC-ing barrier

Last response: in CPUs
September 4, 2006 11:50:40 PM

I used to push my 3000+ to (256*9) 2.3G (what MB dividers allow for standard DDR 400) on stock cooling with onboard video but now that I have added an AGP, above fsb 245 the screen starts flickering. I get white lines on the windows boot screen and occasionally black screens for a second.
I have locked the AGP/PCI to 66/33 and the PCIe too so why does this seem to be a video related problem? Also when modelling, the framerates are much slower.

More about : hit ing barrier

September 5, 2006 12:32:21 AM

monitor the temps of the videocard, and whats the wattage on your PSU? the videocard may not be getting enough juice. Try looking for memory errors also.
September 5, 2006 7:08:32 AM

The PSU is 450W and it's more than enough for the hardware. Can't get other temps but MB and CPU are pretty normal (30°C and 36°C idle). Memory goes 207MHz only with FSB 250 and factor of 0.83, I have used it up to 212!!!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 5, 2006 7:11:23 AM

what about the HTT, have you reduced it to 4x or maybe 3x?
also give us your full configuration, BIOS & OS settings and drivers
September 5, 2006 1:14:52 PM

Quote:
what about the HTT, have you reduced it to 4x or maybe 3x?
also give us your full configuration, BIOS & OS settings and drivers

The board is A8V-MX and it uses only 4x HT that I reduced to 3X even 2X but still the same problems. 2x512MB standard Elixir DDR, GF5200 128M (don't laugh please, it's all I need for 3D scenes), 80GB Maxtor PATA 133. The bios is the latest available on the site.
I doubt there is a problem with AGP locking because I get only grapgics issues on idle; If I put it rendering to squeeze the CPU everything runs OK but each time I apply a property in the nVida pannel the screen flickers and rotating 3D scenes is as crappy as doing it with onboard video.
September 5, 2006 3:23:48 PM

Another thing I didn't mention is that I kept C'n'Q on, does it create any problem?
September 5, 2006 3:42:37 PM

oh.....you have a mainboard with VIA chipset.
I had very bad OC-ing expiriences with VIA chipsets for K8. The last one I used was K8T800 Pro. The problem is that you can not lock the AGP/PCI clock. It is overclocked by the same % as the FSB, so thats why you get such "strange" effects. Change the mainboard with an NF4 or Radeon Xpress one(DFI Lanparty are the best) if you want to OC your system.
September 5, 2006 10:22:50 PM

But the bios allows me to lock it, at least so it says with options AUTO| 66/33 | 75/47 | 80/40. The only thing I can not lock is the SATA ports; that's why I have to borrow a friend's PATA HD to go above FSB 224.
I think that, like RobsX2 says, it is more C'n'Q, because I had it off when I OCed before without problems.
September 5, 2006 10:46:32 PM

Your BIOS doesn't give you the option to lock the AGP frequency?
September 5, 2006 10:53:54 PM

Yes, it does and I lock AGP/PCI to 66/33 but I get all those screen flickers. @ 2.25G framerates also get much heavier compared to non or slightly OCed (2G). I have also put a heatsink on the VIA chipset for precautions and it cools it great.
September 5, 2006 11:14:18 PM

Quote:
I used to push my 3000+ to (256*9) 2.3G (what MB dividers allow for standard DDR 400) on stock cooling with onboard video but now that I have added an AGP, above fsb 245 the screen starts flickering. I get white lines on the windows boot screen and occasionally black screens for a second.
I have locked the AGP/PCI to 66/33 and the PCIe too so why does this seem to be a video related problem? Also when modelling, the framerates are much slower.

Not much of a "push", what motherboard ?
September 5, 2006 11:21:54 PM

Sorry, I see it's a VIA Chipset. I have always found that they are quite inept when it comes to a decent overclock. I once had one on water and it still sucked, had no choice but to trash it, so I winged it into a wall like a frisbie.
No one will ever use that one again.
September 5, 2006 11:31:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I see it's a VIA Chipset. I have always found that they are quite inept when it comes to a decent overclock. I once had one on water and it still sucked, had no choice but to trash it, so I winged it into a wall like a frisbie.
No one will ever use that one again.

I know it's crap, just wanted to get my 3000+ @ least to 2.4G waiting for a new build or at least a X2 3800+ but looks pretty hard with this board. It's a sin because the CPU is a champ: @ 2.0G is ultra stable even undervolted to 1.25V so it could easily go 2.4-2.5 on stock 1.4V.
!