Multiple Mirrored Partition Window 2003 (Pros & Cons)

Hi,

What are pros & cons for creating multiple Mirrored Partitions in
windows 2003?

Here is the situation.

1] I've 2 80GB HDD (of same size, speed, dynamic ... all required to do
mirroring.).
2] I requires that the partitions shold not be of more than 20 GB.
3] I also want each partition to be mirrored.
4] If I mirror each partition and one of the mirror partition fails,
what are the possible problems. Do I need to have another drive to
restore mirror of the failed partition only? or I need to have another
drive and restore all the mirrored partition?

And more queries comming to mind..

if anyone can guide me, it will be really helpful to me.

Thank you.

Jitu

Partitions can become corrupt but its drives that fail. If a partition
mirror broke you would just recreate the mirror unless there was
something wrong with the drive at which time you would replace it and
remirror.

Mirroring is only a part of a overall stratigy for fault tolerance and
failover. You also need to keep in mind performance.

Software mirroring adds cpu and system overhead whereas hardware
mirroring doesn't. It is always recommended to do hardware mirroring
and not software mirroring.

Mirroring does not protect you from overwritten or corrupt files. Only
backup can do that which is why you want to mirror and backup daily.

The only 'con' is the cost of drives.

--
wanderer

Thank you wanderer,

I understand all your point. On the part of performance, I can adjust
currently. I need the data files to be safe from getting lost, if the
HDD fails (as I just experienced this). I've only 4 users working on
LAN and usage is very low for these files.

Currently planned for the same thing as you have suggested. Mirroring
as well as backup policy. we have planned every Web and Saturday
Backup-Incremental and Everymonth Full Backup. Mirror is done on the
80GB HDD in three Partitioned Mirror of 25 GB each.

I will appreciate if you can suggest anything on above, any risk you
see or any improvement that you suggest.

By the way, I'm confused on the first statement. "Partitions can become

wanderer wrote:
> *Partitions can become corrupt but its drives that fail. If a
> partition mirror broke you would just recreate the mirror unless
> there was something wrong with the drive at which time you would
> replace it and remirror.
>
> Mirroring is only a part of a overall stratigy for fault tolerance
> and failover. You also need to keep in mind performance.
>
> Software mirroring adds cpu and system overhead whereas hardware
> mirroring doesn't. It is always recommended to do hardware mirroring
> and not software mirroring.
>
> Mirroring does not protect you from overwritten or corrupt files.
> Only backup can do that which is why you want to mirror and backup
> daily.
>
> The only 'con' is the cost of drives. *

--
Informerx4u