Help! - got back to school and comp dead - need advice

Ageanm

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
So I stored my rig over the summer and didn't use it at all for about 3 months. I just got back and have spent the past 2 days trying to get it to boot. I have figured out that the mobo is dead, most likely due to a leaking cap near the mofsets. Its weird though, with my video card in (a GForce 4 Ti 4400) it stops at one post code (26) and with a different vid card (an ATI Radeon 7000 - bought it to see if my vid was broken) I get a different post code (7f) which I can hit F1 to get past - but no video display at all. So my conclusion is that the mobo is dead (and there is a leaking cap near the mofsets).

So here is the challenge:
I will be leaving for a 6mo trip at the end of december, I need a rig capable of playing Civ 4 and GalCiv until then and I want to spend the least amount of money.

The current components I have:
Epox 8rda+ (this is busted)
Athlon 2100
Kingston HyperX 512MB CAS 2 DDR 3500
Gainward GForce 4 TI 4400
Antec Truepower 430W PS
(and a case, monitors etc)

Please help with suggestions - as you can see it has been ages since I built this rig and I havn't really kept up.
What do you guys (and gals) think I should buy/do!?

Thanks so much I really appreciate all your help!

0zzy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I doubt if u could find a replacement for ur mobo. The only option left might be to build a new rig. U could build an AMD rig for fairly cheap. You should still be able to use ur RAM and PSU. Not sure about the Vic.