Recovery of encrypted files

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

I am a windows 2000 user.

I encrypted some files in the past while I logged on a
specific user account. Because of server crash, I had to
delete the specific account. I forgot about the
encrypted files.

Now, I obviously cannot open the encrypted files because
I am no longer able to log on the specific user account.

I know if I log on Administrator account, I can recover
decode the encrypted files because the Administrator
account is the recovery agent. However, for some reason,
I deleted the Administrator account some time in the past.

I did not back up certificates from the specific user
account nor the Administrator account.

Because I am still using the same computer, I believe
that the certificates should be saved somewhere in the
computer. If I can find them, I think I can export the
certificates to the current user account so that I can
successfully open the encrypted files.

Please help.

Mick

I don't believe that the certificate would be stored elsewhere other than
the user's profile.

"Mick" <kminamino@cox.net> wrote in message
>I am a windows 2000 user.
>
> I encrypted some files in the past while I logged on a
> specific user account. Because of server crash, I had to
> delete the specific account. I forgot about the
> encrypted files.
>
> Now, I obviously cannot open the encrypted files because
> I am no longer able to log on the specific user account.
>
> I know if I log on Administrator account, I can recover
> decode the encrypted files because the Administrator
> account is the recovery agent. However, for some reason,
> I deleted the Administrator account some time in the past.
>
> I did not back up certificates from the specific user
> account nor the Administrator account.
>
> Because I am still using the same computer, I believe
> that the certificates should be saved somewhere in the
> computer. If I can find them, I think I can export the
> certificates to the current user account so that I can
> successfully open the encrypted files.
>
> Please help.
>

> Mick

TRENDING THREADS