Cannot delete files with invalid filenames

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 11, 2005 6:59:53 PM

Hi,

We are trying to delete a number of files on a Windows 2000 Server with
NTFS. They are in a short path, and all have illegal filenames (appeared
AFTER a successful checkdisk that ran after a RAID disk crash). For example
E:\users\joebloggs\M0?Z?KHE.GIF

Nothing has worked: we have tried the posix deletion tools, deleting the
directory itself, using \\?\ and \\.\ syntax to access them as all suggested
by MS.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:59:54 PM

Open up a command prompt and type 'dir /x'. This will list you the short
path name of the file.
Run a 'del' command on the shortpath name.

--
Cheers
Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP]

"Hakan Aysan" <hakan.aysan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> We are trying to delete a number of files on a Windows 2000 Server with
> NTFS. They are in a short path, and all have illegal filenames (appeared
> AFTER a successful checkdisk that ran after a RAID disk crash). For
example
> E:\users\joebloggs\M0?Z?KHE.GIF
>

> Nothing has worked: we have tried the posix deletion tools, deleting the
> directory itself, using \\?\ and \\.\ syntax to access them as all
suggested
> by MS.
>

> Any ideas?

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:22:35 AM

Hi,

We've tried dir /x, but the files are 8.3, and dir /x doesn't list a short
file name. Every deletion tool and syntax basically says "The filename,
directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Surely there must be a way to delete these files? There is a knowledgebase
article number 320081 which is quite comprehensive on this subject, but
nothing suggested there works here. I should also say that checkdisk has
been run several times, and reports no problems at all. There are literally
11 files corrupt in this form, the rest of the disk and data is fine.

Thanks for any suggestions!

"CheckAbdoul" <checkabdoul at mvps dot org> wrote in message
news:o cVzMeHEFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Open up a command prompt and type 'dir /x'. This will list you the
> short
> path name of the file.
> Run a 'del' command on the shortpath name.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP]
> -----------------------------------
>
> "Hakan Aysan" <hakan.aysan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>

>> We are trying to delete a number of files on a Windows 2000 Server with
>> NTFS. They are in a short path, and all have illegal filenames (appeared
>> AFTER a successful checkdisk that ran after a RAID disk crash). For
> example
>> E:\users\joebloggs\M0?Z?KHE.GIF
>>

>> Nothing has worked: we have tried the posix deletion tools, deleting the
>> directory itself, using \\?\ and \\.\ syntax to access them as all
> suggested
>> by MS.
>>

>> Any ideas?

February 13, 2005 10:31:58 PM

Hi, Hakan.

Have you tried isolating these file in a folder, then removing the folder?

In a "DOS" window, use the rd command with the /s switch to remove the
entire directory tree, subdirectories, files and all. Before you do it, of
course, make sure that everything you DO want to keep has been moved to some
other directory.

rd <foldername> /s

>>> E:\users\joebloggs\M0?Z?KHE.GIF
rd e:\users\joebloggs /s

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hi,
>

> We've tried dir /x, but the files are 8.3, and dir /x doesn't list a short
> file name. Every deletion tool and syntax basically says "The filename,
> directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
>
> Surely there must be a way to delete these files? There is a knowledgebase
> article number 320081 which is quite comprehensive on this subject, but
> nothing suggested there works here. I should also say that checkdisk has
> been run several times, and reports no problems at all. There are
> literally 11 files corrupt in this form, the rest of the disk and data is
> fine.
>

> Thanks for any suggestions!
>

> "CheckAbdoul" <checkabdoul at mvps dot org> wrote in message
> news:o cVzMeHEFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Open up a command prompt and type 'dir /x'. This will list you the
>> short
>> path name of the file.
>> Run a 'del' command on the shortpath name.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP]
>> -----------------------------------
>>
>> "Hakan Aysan" <hakan.aysan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> We are trying to delete a number of files on a Windows 2000 Server with
>>> NTFS. They are in a short path, and all have illegal filenames (appeared
>>> AFTER a successful checkdisk that ran after a RAID disk crash). For
>> example
>>> E:\users\joebloggs\M0?Z?KHE.GIF
>>>

>>> Nothing has worked: we have tried the posix deletion tools, deleting the
>>> directory itself, using \\?\ and \\.\ syntax to access them as all
>> suggested
>>> by MS.
>>>

>>> Any ideas?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:22:40 PM

Just tried that. Again, an error complaining about invalid filenames.

!