Can't Add / Remove Window Components

I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a required
file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup was
unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
Initialized".
I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.

Fred B
9 answers Last reply
More about remove window components

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

    What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Fred B" wrote:
    |I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
    required
    | file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
    | COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
    was
    | unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
    | Initialized".
    | I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
    |
    | Fred B

    Dave,
    Thanks for your reply but I am a little concerned, do I perform the in place
    ugrade first and then re install the SP 4 download. (I am currently running
    with SP-4) and associated security patches. What happens to the hot patches
    that are already on the PC? Do I re install them as well. Also there is a
    warning about changing my PC to a member server when I perform the in-place
    upgrade. Do I need to worry about that at all. Would re installing SP-4 by
    itself do the trick?
    Thanks for your time,
    Fred

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP
    >
    > What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    > network.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Fred B" wrote:
    > |I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
    > required
    > | file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
    > | COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
    > was
    > | unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
    > | Initialized".
    > | I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
    > |
    > | Fred B

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "Fred B" wrote:
    | Dave,
    | Thanks for your reply but I am a little concerned, do I perform the in
    place
    | ugrade first
    * Yes

    and then re install the SP 4 download.
    * Yes

    (I am currently running
    | with SP-4) and associated security patches. What happens to the hot
    patches
    | that are already on the PC?
    * They're all rolled back.

    Do I re install them as well.
    * Yes

    Also there is a
    | warning about changing my PC to a member server when I perform the
    in-place
    | upgrade. Do I need to worry about that at all.
    * Yes, it will be demoted to a member server.

    Would re installing SP-4 by
    | itself do the trick?
    * No way to know with knowing what was deleted.

    Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Dave,
    Thanks for all of your help, but I have cold feet in attempting a In-Place
    Reinstall. I really don't see any other problems with my programs or Windows
    Office etc. So, until I run in to another situation that warrants the
    re-install I'll save your suggested fixes. Thanks again for your help.

    Fred B

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > "Fred B" wrote:
    > | Dave,
    > | Thanks for your reply but I am a little concerned, do I perform the in
    > place
    > | ugrade first
    > * Yes
    >
    > and then re install the SP 4 download.
    > * Yes
    >
    > (I am currently running
    > | with SP-4) and associated security patches. What happens to the hot
    > patches
    > | that are already on the PC?
    > * They're all rolled back.
    >
    > Do I re install them as well.
    > * Yes
    >
    > Also there is a
    > | warning about changing my PC to a member server when I perform the
    > in-place
    > | upgrade. Do I need to worry about that at all.
    > * Yes, it will be demoted to a member server.
    >
    > Would re installing SP-4 by
    > | itself do the trick?
    > * No way to know with knowing what was deleted.
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    > network.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    You may have deleted the file;
    %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf

    You can expand a new copy from your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom.

    expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf

    --

    "Fred B" wrote:
    |I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
    required
    | file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
    | COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
    was
    | unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
    | Initialized".
    | I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
    |
    | Fred B
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Dave,
    Thanks for your reply. I looked for the file sysoc.inf and found it in
    C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386. I can't get to %systremroot%\inf file, using
    the command you gave me. Looked for the file on the insatllation disk and
    found sysoc.in under the i386 folder. Not familiar with the use of "expand" .
    How do I use this command? do I copy and paste the sysoc file on the
    installation disk to my existing i386 file or am I missing something in your
    instructions?
    Incidentally I get the same setup error message when I try to click on and
    look at the "Add on Components" field in the Windows 2000 installation disk.

    Thanks, Fred

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > You may have deleted the file;
    > %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf
    >
    > You can expand a new copy from your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom.
    >
    > expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Fred B" wrote:
    > |I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
    > required
    > | file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
    > | COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
    > was
    > | unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
    > | Initialized".
    > | I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
    > |
    > | Fred B

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Insert your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom, then from a command prompt;

    expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf

    just change 'D' to the actual drive letter for your CVD-Rom drive.

    If you deleted the entire %systemroot%\inf folder then you'll probably want
    to do the in-place upgrade to recover from the damage.

    --

    "Fred B" wrote:
    | Dave,
    | Thanks for your reply. I looked for the file sysoc.inf and found it in
    | C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386. I can't get to %systremroot%\inf file,
    using
    | the command you gave me. Looked for the file on the insatllation disk and
    | found sysoc.in under the i386 folder. Not familiar with the use of
    "expand" .
    | How do I use this command? do I copy and paste the sysoc file on the
    | installation disk to my existing i386 file or am I missing something in
    your
    | instructions?
    | Incidentally I get the same setup error message when I try to click on and
    | look at the "Add on Components" field in the Windows 2000 installation
    disk.

    | Thanks, Fred
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Dave,
    I expanded the sysoc.in to C:\winnt\inf\sysoc.inf , 742 bytes expanded to
    1512 bytes, 103% increase.
    Tried the ADD and REMOVE WINDOWS again.
    Now receiving error message " setup unable to open information file
    faxsetup.inf. Specific error code is 0x2 at line 2086412100
    I cant find this file on C: or D: drives or on the Installation disk as well ?
    Suggestions please.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Insert your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom, then from a command prompt;
    >
    > expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf
    >
    > just change 'D' to the actual drive letter for your CVD-Rom drive.
    >
    > If you deleted the entire %systemroot%\inf folder then you'll probably want
    > to do the in-place upgrade to recover from the damage.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Fred B" wrote:
    > | Dave,
    > | Thanks for your reply. I looked for the file sysoc.inf and found it in
    > | C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386. I can't get to %systremroot%\inf file,
    > using
    > | the command you gave me. Looked for the file on the insatllation disk and
    > | found sysoc.in under the i386 folder. Not familiar with the use of
    > "expand" .
    > | How do I use this command? do I copy and paste the sysoc file on the
    > | installation disk to my existing i386 file or am I missing something in
    > your
    > | instructions?
    > | Incidentally I get the same setup error message when I try to click on and
    > | look at the "Add on Components" field in the Windows 2000 installation
    > disk.
    > |
    > | Thanks, Fred

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Best to do the in-place upgrade. You trashed your system.

    --

    "Fred B" wrote:
    | Dave,
    | I expanded the sysoc.in to C:\winnt\inf\sysoc.inf , 742 bytes expanded to
    | 1512 bytes, 103% increase.
    | Tried the ADD and REMOVE WINDOWS again.
    | Now receiving error message " setup unable to open information file
    | faxsetup.inf. Specific error code is 0x2 at line 2086412100
    | I cant find this file on C: or D: drives or on the Installation disk as
    well ?
    | Suggestions please.

File System Components Windows