Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't Add / Remove Window Components

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a required
file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup was
unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
Initialized".
I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.

Fred B
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:29:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Fred B" wrote:
|I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
required
| file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
| COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
was
| unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
| Initialized".
| I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
|
| Fred B
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:27:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Dave,
Thanks for your reply but I am a little concerned, do I perform the in place
ugrade first and then re install the SP 4 download. (I am currently running
with SP-4) and associated security patches. What happens to the hot patches
that are already on the PC? Do I re install them as well. Also there is a
warning about changing my PC to a member server when I perform the in-place
upgrade. Do I need to worry about that at all. Would re installing SP-4 by
itself do the trick?
Thanks for your time,
Fred

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...
>
> What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
>
> Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
> network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Fred B" wrote:
> |I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
> required
> | file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
> | COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
> was
> | unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
> | Initialized".
> | I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
> |
> | Fred B
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:11:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

"Fred B" wrote:
| Dave,
| Thanks for your reply but I am a little concerned, do I perform the in
place
| ugrade first
* Yes

and then re install the SP 4 download.
* Yes

(I am currently running
| with SP-4) and associated security patches. What happens to the hot
patches
| that are already on the PC?
* They're all rolled back.

Do I re install them as well.
* Yes

Also there is a
| warning about changing my PC to a member server when I perform the
in-place
| upgrade. Do I need to worry about that at all.
* Yes, it will be demoted to a member server.

Would re installing SP-4 by
| itself do the trick?
* No way to know with knowing what was deleted.

Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Dave,
Thanks for all of your help, but I have cold feet in attempting a In-Place
Reinstall. I really don't see any other problems with my programs or Windows
Office etc. So, until I run in to another situation that warrants the
re-install I'll save your suggested fixes. Thanks again for your help.

Fred B

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> "Fred B" wrote:
> | Dave,
> | Thanks for your reply but I am a little concerned, do I perform the in
> place
> | ugrade first
> * Yes
>
> and then re install the SP 4 download.
> * Yes
>
> (I am currently running
> | with SP-4) and associated security patches. What happens to the hot
> patches
> | that are already on the PC?
> * They're all rolled back.
>
> Do I re install them as well.
> * Yes
>
> Also there is a
> | warning about changing my PC to a member server when I perform the
> in-place
> | upgrade. Do I need to worry about that at all.
> * Yes, it will be demoted to a member server.
>
> Would re installing SP-4 by
> | itself do the trick?
> * No way to know with knowing what was deleted.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
> network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:10:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

You may have deleted the file;
%systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf

You can expand a new copy from your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom.

expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Fred B" wrote:
|I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
required
| file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
| COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
was
| unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
| Initialized".
| I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
|
| Fred B
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I looked for the file sysoc.inf and found it in
C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386. I can't get to %systremroot%\inf file, using
the command you gave me. Looked for the file on the insatllation disk and
found sysoc.in under the i386 folder. Not familiar with the use of "expand" .
How do I use this command? do I copy and paste the sysoc file on the
installation disk to my existing i386 file or am I missing something in your
instructions?
Incidentally I get the same setup error message when I try to click on and
look at the "Add on Components" field in the Windows 2000 installation disk.

Thanks, Fred


"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You may have deleted the file;
> %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf
>
> You can expand a new copy from your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom.
>
> expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Fred B" wrote:
> |I recently did a registry and file clean up and apparently deleted a
> required
> | file. When I tried to change WORD format and clicked on ADD/REMOVE WINDOW
> | COMPONENTS, I received a Windows 2000 Setup box telling me that "Setup
> was
> | unable to load Master Information File" and "The application could not be
> | Initialized".
> | I hope there is an easy fix for my mistake.
> |
> | Fred B
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:01:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Insert your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom, then from a command prompt;

expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf

just change 'D' to the actual drive letter for your CVD-Rom drive.

If you deleted the entire %systemroot%\inf folder then you'll probably want
to do the in-place upgrade to recover from the damage.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Fred B" wrote:
| Dave,
| Thanks for your reply. I looked for the file sysoc.inf and found it in
| C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386. I can't get to %systremroot%\inf file,
using
| the command you gave me. Looked for the file on the insatllation disk and
| found sysoc.in under the i386 folder. Not familiar with the use of
"expand" .
| How do I use this command? do I copy and paste the sysoc file on the
| installation disk to my existing i386 file or am I missing something in
your
| instructions?
| Incidentally I get the same setup error message when I try to click on and
| look at the "Add on Components" field in the Windows 2000 installation
disk.
|
| Thanks, Fred
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:59:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Dave,
I expanded the sysoc.in to C:\winnt\inf\sysoc.inf , 742 bytes expanded to
1512 bytes, 103% increase.
Tried the ADD and REMOVE WINDOWS again.
Now receiving error message " setup unable to open information file
faxsetup.inf. Specific error code is 0x2 at line 2086412100
I cant find this file on C: or D: drives or on the Installation disk as well ?
Suggestions please.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Insert your Windows 2000 install CD-Rom, then from a command prompt;
>
> expand D:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r %systemroot%\inf
>
> just change 'D' to the actual drive letter for your CVD-Rom drive.
>
> If you deleted the entire %systemroot%\inf folder then you'll probably want
> to do the in-place upgrade to recover from the damage.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Fred B" wrote:
> | Dave,
> | Thanks for your reply. I looked for the file sysoc.inf and found it in
> | C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386. I can't get to %systremroot%\inf file,
> using
> | the command you gave me. Looked for the file on the insatllation disk and
> | found sysoc.in under the i386 folder. Not familiar with the use of
> "expand" .
> | How do I use this command? do I copy and paste the sysoc file on the
> | installation disk to my existing i386 file or am I missing something in
> your
> | instructions?
> | Incidentally I get the same setup error message when I try to click on and
> | look at the "Add on Components" field in the Windows 2000 installation
> disk.
> |
> | Thanks, Fred
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:04:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Best to do the in-place upgrade. You trashed your system.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Fred B" wrote:
| Dave,
| I expanded the sysoc.in to C:\winnt\inf\sysoc.inf , 742 bytes expanded to
| 1512 bytes, 103% increase.
| Tried the ADD and REMOVE WINDOWS again.
| Now receiving error message " setup unable to open information file
| faxsetup.inf. Specific error code is 0x2 at line 2086412100
| I cant find this file on C: or D: drives or on the Installation disk as
well ?
| Suggestions please.
!