3rd party inks and ip3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a brand new Canon iP3000 that I want to use for non-critical
printing, including test prints for clients (who will have acceptable
images professioinally printed). I've used a really good HP for that
purpose, but am tiring of paying the consumable prices and may use it
only for my own high quality prints. My question is this:

Is it ok to use 3rd party cartidges from eBay with the iP3000 for
general purposes? Any harm to the nozzles, etc.?????

I had a backup BJC6000 which I refilled for several years successfully
(the paper loading mechanism finally bit the dust big time and in any
case the refill inks didn't always print colors brilliantly) but would
prefer to avoid refill mess (I assume I cannot use my stash of 6000 inks
in any case).

Practical experience and ideas welcome. So far I really like the printer.

Thanks.

I wouldn't use anything from EBay, get your ink from a reputable seller and
don't mix. Otherwise you'll be fine.

Dan G wrote:
> I wouldn't use anything from EBay, get your ink from a reputable seller and
> don't mix. Otherwise you'll be fine.

Not a very professional response.

I use very basic compatible cartridges (similar to what's on eBay) in a
printer with 1 pl nozzles, the smallest in the industry. I've had
absolutely no troubles since I bought the printer late last year.
I haven't even bothered to register it.

Check that the eBay seller has a good reputation (feedback) and don't
necessarily buy the cheapest cartridges you see. Try a set to see how
they work with your printer and keep your original Canon ink cartridges
(that came with the printer) on hand in case of problems (to flush the

The money you save with just one or two sets of compatibles is enough to
buy you a new printer.

-Taliesyn

> "Ron Goodenow" <rkgdigiphoto@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have a brand new Canon iP3000 that I want to use for non-critical
>>printing, including test prints for clients (who will have acceptable
>>images professioinally printed). I've used a really good HP for that
>>purpose, but am tiring of paying the consumable prices and may use it
>>only for my own high quality prints. My question is this:
>>
>>Is it ok to use 3rd party cartidges from eBay with the iP3000 for
>>general purposes? Any harm to the nozzles, etc.?????
>>
>>I had a backup BJC6000 which I refilled for several years successfully
>>(the paper loading mechanism finally bit the dust big time and in any
>>case the refill inks didn't always print colors brilliantly) but would
>>prefer to avoid refill mess (I assume I cannot use my stash of 6000 inks
>>in any case).
>>
>>Practical experience and ideas welcome. So far I really like the printer.
>>
>>Thanks.

Thanks for this advice. Makes good sense. My experience with my previous
Canons is that they are happiest when used frequently. Over the years
I've had pretty good luck with eBay sellers and products (eg., batteries
for digital cameras, etc.). My main concern is real red flags from
actual users. And, I've unclogged a nozzle or two in my time....

--
Ronald K. Goodenow, Ph.D.
RKG Digital Photography Services

508-393-5619
508-847-0111 (cell)
Rkgood@charter.net http://www.rkgprojects.com
Rkgdigiphoto@charter.net http://www.rkgprojects.com/rkgdigiphoto.htm

Ron Goodenow wrote:

> Thanks for this advice. Makes good sense. My experience with my previous
> Canons is that they are happiest when used frequently. Over the years
> I've had pretty good luck with eBay sellers and products (eg., batteries
> for digital cameras, etc.). My main concern is real red flags from
> actual users. And, I've unclogged a nozzle or two in my time....

Cleaning the nozzles even when not needed is probably good maintenance.
I say "probably" because Canon wouldn't want their customers to be
playing with the printhead when it's still under warranty.

Last June, after half a year of use, I took out out my printhead, put it
in a shallow dish and then ran spring water (distilled is even better)
through the intake tubes with a nose dropper. Never have more than a 1/4
inch of water in the dish, changing it frequently. I ran water through
them until no more color came out. A quick dry and it was back in the
printer for a prime, a nozzle check and a printhead alignment.

Yes, rather frequent use is best for any inkjet printer, even if it's
just a page. It avoids the drying of the ink in the nozzles which can
clog them. Everytime I see people posting a "clog problem" question,
they always admit they hardly used the printer. So...

I've only had one problem with a purchase on eBay, and that was a total
fraud scam; there was no actual item. eBay refunded me for most of the
value. On the other hand, I've had more that a 100 wonderful purchases.
You name it, I've bought it. I won't let one bad deal ruin the fun of
eBaying. It's a great shopping place when you consider you never have
to leave the comfort of your home. And I'd still call it "safe". Hey,
I stand a much bigger chance of being robbed or mugged in the street.

-Taliesyn

> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Dan G wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't use anything from EBay, get your ink from a reputable
>>> seller and
>>> don't mix. Otherwise you'll be fine.
>>>

>> Not a very professional response.
>>
>> I use very basic compatible cartridges (similar to what's on eBay) in a
>> printer with 1 pl nozzles, the smallest in the industry. I've had
>> absolutely no troubles since I bought the printer late last year.
>> I haven't even bothered to register it.
>>
>> Check that the eBay seller has a good reputation (feedback) and don't
>> necessarily buy the cheapest cartridges you see. Try a set to see how
>> they work with your printer and keep your original Canon ink cartridges
>> (that came with the printer) on hand in case of problems (to flush the
>>
>> The money you save with just one or two sets of compatibles is enough to
>> buy you a new printer.
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>>

>>> "Ron Goodenow" <rkgdigiphoto@charter.net> wrote in message

Have you heard about the Windex remedy? On one of the photo sites I use
regularly a guy said he soaked his iP series print head in a dish of
Windex until it worked perfectly. Said it sometimes took 48 hours, but
it always did the trick. I've used running water on other Canons. They
sell cleaning cartridges, but I've never tried one of those. I used my
6000 heavily for four years and only had to replace printheads once,
using bulk ink 80% of the time. I'd cycle originals through now and
then. I travel a lot and sometimes the printer sits around unused.
Another trick is to do something like a heavy duty powerpoint page at
the highest settings.

So far results with the 3000 have been amazing on Kodak paper. It may be
HP that rots on the home net.

Again, thanks.

--
Ronald K. Goodenow, Ph.D.
RKG Digital Photography Services
Independent Writer and Researcher

508-393-5619
508-847-0111 (cell)
Rkgood@charter.net http://www.rkgprojects.com
Rkgdigiphoto@charter.net http://www.rkgprojects.com/rkgdigiphoto.htm

zakezuke

> I had a backup BJC6000 which I refilled for several years successfully
> (the paper loading mechanism finally bit the dust big time and in any
> case the refill inks didn't always print colors brilliantly) but would
> prefer to avoid refill mess (I assume I cannot use my stash of 6000 inks
> in any case).

Well the refill mess can be minimized in one a couple of ways.

1. Refillable tanks... rubber plugs that pop out with ease
2. plastic bottles with a blunt needle tip. I wasn't pleased with the
IMS inks from costco, so I dumped the ink and put MIS in those bottles.

My mess is limited to a few drops in the input port.

I'm not aware of the difference between the BCI-3e color inks and the
BCI-6 color inks, so I don't know what effect using the old ink in the
new printer.
----

My experence with ebay bought tanks is limited to one set. No issues
with clogging, color match was acceptable, but it faided really fast,
faster than Canon OEM ink fast. I think they represents worst case
scenero.

zakezuke

> I won't try the old ink until I get more of a definitive set of opinions.

You can feel safe using the old black... the ip3000 is using the BCI-3e
so if it worked well before will work well again.

The refillable tanks i'm using are reallly no different than the Canon
tanks, except they have a nice rubber plug. Empties cost me 1/2 the
cost of canon tanks... but i'm lazy and it does remove a step in
refilling.

Neil Shade has a very nice review on three ink options for the Canon
series
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html
Anyone who's a control freak about color should have a looksee.

But in the end, use what you like, be happy. The OEM canon ink is
reasonably priced, more so than other printers.

Ron Goodenow wrote:

> Have you heard about the Windex remedy?

Yes, I have. I had an early printhead failure on my iP850, just after
two months. I was getting visible print lines (nozzles missing). I tried
all kinds of cleaning solutions. When they all failed I understood it
was a burnout. I replaced the head (my own money) with one I picked up
on eBay $55 USD (free ship in the US) and it's been working fine for
about 7 months (same inks). It's been fed bulk inks mostly. My main
printer, an iP5000 is using compatible cartridges for color and bulk
black ink for the BCI-3e.

> On one of the photo sites I use
> regularly a guy said he soaked his iP series print head in a dish of
> Windex until it worked perfectly. Said it sometimes took 48 hours, but
> it always did the trick. I've used running water on other Canons. They
> sell cleaning cartridges, but I've never tried one of those. I used my
> 6000 heavily for four years and only had to replace printheads once,
> using bulk ink 80% of the time. I'd cycle originals through now and
> then. I travel a lot and sometimes the printer sits around unused.
> Another trick is to do something like a heavy duty powerpoint page at
> the highest settings.
>
> So far results with the 3000 have been amazing on Kodak paper. It may be
> HP that rots on the home net.
>
> Again, thanks.

I've had terrible results with Kodak Premium Picture Paper. Maybe you're
using a different type. Glad it works for you. My main paper is Costco's
Kirkland brand. It comes in only the full page sheets. I slice them up
with a simple exacto knife and a metal ruler. Works like a charm, always
a razor sharp blade and it costs nothing (dollar store item)

-Taliesyn

Do you know if the bulk black ink for the ip3000 and BJC6000 are the
same? Seems to me the cartridge labels were the same, but I threw the
6000 and its parts away. I've got a ton of the stuff.

--
Ronald K. Goodenow, Ph.D.
RKG Digital Photography Services
Independent Writer and Researcher

508-393-5619
508-847-0111 (cell)
Rkgood@charter.net http://www.rkgprojects.com
Rkgdigiphoto@charter.net http://www.rkgprojects.com/rkgdigiphoto.htm

Thanks for this. I'm so happy today with the quality of my prints I may
decide to stay with more premium inks, particularly for the color tanks.
I do recall that my 6000 was much more particular about color than b/w
ink. I never went to the 1 option because I never used a tank for more
than maybe 3 refills. I would then pop in a new Canon and begin the
cycle again. I won't try the old ink until I get more of a definitive
set of opinions.

--

Dan G wrote:

>I wouldn't use anything from EBay, get your ink from a reputable seller and
>don't mix. Otherwise you'll be fine.

The reputable brand name inks for the Canon are form Canon. Costco is
the best price.

Taliesyn wrote:

> Dan G wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't use anything from EBay, get your ink from a reputable
>> seller and
>> don't mix. Otherwise you'll be fine.
>>

> Not a very professional response. Do not listen to this kid.

A very good response.

> I use very basic compatible cartridges (similar to what's on eBay) in a
> printer with 1 pl nozzles, the smallest in the industry. I've had
> absolutely no troubles since I bought the printer late last year.
> I haven't even bothered to register it.
>
> Check that the eBay seller has a good reputation (feedback) and don't
> necessarily buy the cheapest cartridges you see. Try a set to see how
> they work with your printer and keep your original Canon ink cartridges
> (that came with the printer) on hand in case of problems (to flush the
>
> The money you save with just one or two sets of compatibles is enough to
> buy you a new printer.
>
> -Taliesyn
>

>> "Ron Goodenow" <rkgdigiphoto@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have a brand new Canon iP3000 that I want to use for non-critical
>>> printing, including test prints for clients (who will have acceptable
>>> images professioinally printed). I've used a really good HP for that
>>> purpose, but am tiring of paying the consumable prices and may use it
>>> only for my own high quality prints. My question is this:
>>>
>>> Is it ok to use 3rd party cartidges from eBay with the iP3000 for
>>> general purposes? Any harm to the nozzles, etc.?????
>>>
>>> I had a backup BJC6000 which I refilled for several years successfully
>>> (the paper loading mechanism finally bit the dust big time and in any
>>> case the refill inks didn't always print colors brilliantly) but would
>>> prefer to avoid refill mess (I assume I cannot use my stash of 6000
>>> inks
>>> in any case).
>>>
>>> Practical experience and ideas welcome. So far I really like the
>>> printer.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Happy Cloggy Woggy from Inky Stinky

Ron Goodenow wrote:

> Thanks for this advice. Makes good sense. My experience with my
> previous Canons is that they are happiest when used frequently. Over
> the years I've had pretty good luck with eBay sellers and products
> (eg., batteries for digital cameras, etc.). My main concern is real
> red flags from actual users. And, I've unclogged a nozzle or two in my
> time....
>
> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Dan G wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't use anything from EBay, get your ink from a reputable
>>> seller and
>>> don't mix. Otherwise you'll be fine.
>>>

>> Not a very professional response.
>>
>> I use very basic compatible cartridges (similar to what's on eBay) in a
>> printer with 1 pl nozzles, the smallest in the industry. I've had
>> absolutely no troubles since I bought the printer late last year.
>> I haven't even bothered to register it.
>>
>> Check that the eBay seller has a good reputation (feedback) and don't
>> necessarily buy the cheapest cartridges you see. Try a set to see how
>> they work with your printer and keep your original Canon ink cartridges
>> (that came with the printer) on hand in case of problems (to flush the
>>
>> The money you save with just one or two sets of compatibles is enough to
>> buy you a new printer.
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>>

>>> "Ron Goodenow" <rkgdigiphoto@charter.net> wrote in message

zakezuke

> The refillable bottles
> really up the temptation ante, having struggled with various punches and
> glue over the years to refill Canon cartridges.

Just to be clear MIS doesn't offer refillable bottles as part of their
kits, but they do offer refillable inktanks. The refillable buttons I
refer to are from a costco brand called IMS.. the bottles are nice the
ink is well... I wouldn't use it. If you can't find refillable bottles
elsewhere you can use the ones from the IMS kit.

http://www.inksupply.com/accessory.cfm

The MIS kit comes with syringes, not refillable bottles. They do offer
a goose neck bottle ($5.00) i've never used. I don't know where to buy
bottles with an attachment for a blundt needle as a replacement for
syringes, but I know the costco IMS kit has those... so if all else
failes spend sub $10 for a bunch of ink which you can dump and use the
bottles.

This is all extremely helpful. I can feel the old 'refill' blood
starting to flow after looking at the MIS site. The refillable bottles
really up the temptation ante, having struggled with various punches and
glue over the years to refill Canon cartridges. I have a whole drawer
filled with various syringes, rubbber gloves and other paraphenalia I
may be able to live without. Again, thanks.

In article <ix5Me.844$AT7.455@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
inkystinky@oem.com says...

> The reputable brand name inks for the Canon are form Canon. Costco is
> the best price.
>

> >"Ron Goodenow" <rkgdigiphoto@charter.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>Practical experience and ideas welcome. So far I really like the printer.

note that inkystinky has (by his own admission) none of the experience
you requested, only his very strange ideas.

Others in this newsgroup have actual, practical experience, and
recommend several good ink sources. I followed their advice, and have 9
months trouble free experience with Sensient ink from alotofthings.com.
There are other good sources as well, and some bad ones.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

zakezuke wrote:

>>I had a backup BJC6000 which I refilled for several years successfully
>>(the paper loading mechanism finally bit the dust big time and in any
>>case the refill inks didn't always print colors brilliantly) but would
>>prefer to avoid refill mess (I assume I cannot use my stash of 6000 inks
>>in any case).
>

> Well the refill mess can be minimized in one a couple of ways.
>
> 1. Refillable tanks... rubber plugs that pop out with ease
> 2. plastic bottles with a blunt needle tip. I wasn't pleased with the
> IMS inks from costco, so I dumped the ink and put MIS in those bottles.
>
> My mess is limited to a few drops in the input port.
>
> I'm not aware of the difference between the BCI-3e color inks and the
> BCI-6 color inks, so I don't know what effect using the old ink in the
> new printer.
> ----
>
> My experence with ebay bought tanks is limited to one set. No issues
> with clogging, color match was acceptable, but it faided really fast,
> faster than Canon OEM ink fast. I think they represents worst case
> scenero.

Really no mess at all, as you already know from actually doing it.
Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

> In article <ix5Me.844$AT7.455@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
> inkystinky@oem.com says...
>

>>The reputable brand name inks for the Canon are form Canon. Costco is
>>the best price.
>>

>>>"Ron Goodenow" <rkgdigiphoto@charter.net> wrote in message

> note that inkystinky has (by his own admission) none of the experience
> you requested, only his very strange ideas.
>
> Others in this newsgroup have actual, practical experience, and
> recommend several good ink sources. I followed their advice, and have 9
> months trouble free experience with Sensient ink from alotofthings.com.
> There are other good sources as well, and some bad ones.

Absolutely! Thanks for posting.
Frank

Who cares

Ron Goodenow wrote:

> Do you know if the bulk black ink for the ip3000 and BJC6000 are the
> same? Seems to me the cartridge labels were the same, but I threw the
> 6000 and its parts away. I've got a ton of the stuff.
>
> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Ron Goodenow wrote:
>>
>>> Have you heard about the Windex remedy?
>>

>> Yes, I have. I had an early printhead failure on my iP850, just after
>> two months. I was getting visible print lines (nozzles missing). I tried
>> all kinds of cleaning solutions. When they all failed I understood it
>> was a burnout. I replaced the head (my own money) with one I picked up
>> on eBay $55 USD (free ship in the US) and it's been working fine for
>> about 7 months (same inks). It's been fed bulk inks mostly. My main
>> printer, an iP5000 is using compatible cartridges for color and bulk
>> black ink for the BCI-3e.
>>
>> > On one of the photo sites I use
>>
>>> regularly a guy said he soaked his iP series print head in a dish of
>>> Windex until it worked perfectly. Said it sometimes took 48 hours,
>>> but it always did the trick. I've used running water on other
>>> Canons. They sell cleaning cartridges, but I've never tried one of
>>> those. I used my 6000 heavily for four years and only had to replace
>>> printheads once, using bulk ink 80% of the time. I'd cycle originals
>>> through now and then. I travel a lot and sometimes the printer sits
>>> around unused. Another trick is to do something like a heavy duty
>>> powerpoint page at the highest settings.
>>>
>>> So far results with the 3000 have been amazing on Kodak paper. It
>>> may be HP that rots on the home net.
>>>
>>> Again, thanks.
>>

>> I've had terrible results with Kodak Premium Picture Paper. Maybe
>> you're using a different type. Glad it works for you. My main paper
>> is Costco's
>> Kirkland brand. It comes in only the full page sheets. I slice them
>> up with a simple exacto knife and a metal ruler. Works like a charm,
>> always
>> a razor sharp blade and it costs nothing (dollar store item)
>>
>> -Taliesyn

Do not come in your pants. Save it for the carts.