Sign in with
Your question

need an SLI motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2006 5:03:11 AM

im currently upgrading my pc. i have an ASUS A7N8X motherboard and i just bought a BFG 7900gt video card. ive been away from the whole computer thing for quite some time so a lot of this stuff is kinda new to me. (sli, pci express, all these diff. chipset, etc.) i just need a little help as far as whats a good mobo to go for that supports sli? heres a little info on what i currently have/plan on transfering to the new mobo:

2 512mb pc3200
amd 2100+ 1.7ghz
7900gt vid card (duh)
sound blaster x-fi sound card

thanks

More about : sli motherboard

September 5, 2006 6:09:31 AM

You wont be able to get sli on a K7 platform. To make your ram transferrable get an A8N-SLI or an A8N32-SLI DX board + a new athlon 64 939 cpu. But if I were you I would get an AM2 board+ an AM2 cpu and get ddr2 800 ram.
September 5, 2006 6:13:36 AM

Sorry, but correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that mobo AGP?
If it is you are out of luck cause as far as i know you will not find a mobo that you can SLI with AGP graphic's cards.
Related resources
September 5, 2006 6:14:12 AM

So...that's a Socket A processor right? Too old for SLI as far as I know. In case you're REALLY out of the loop, SLI is Nvidia's answer for a 2 video card graphics solution (recently 4 GPUs have been made available for SLI, Crossfire is ATi's answer). Better look for a AM2, 939, or LGA 775 mobo and CPU if you want to SLI. To boot, I don't believe there are ANY Socket A mobos with PCIe x16 for that 7900GT. 939 is your best bet as it works with DDR so you can salvage that memory (others are DDR2 only). 939 setups are getting cheaper and cheaper as DDR falls from popularity. You could get a decent processor+mobo for less than $300. Or keep your existing setup and return the video card. The choice is yours.

I know you probably didn't anticipate such major upgrading, but those are the breaks. :) 

By the way, that's a nice sound card, regardless of your rig.
September 5, 2006 6:19:01 AM

Ohh sorry, just re-read, i thought you had the 7900 AGP. Not a 7900PCiE
September 5, 2006 1:35:34 PM

if i didnt wanna do the whole sli thing, would it still be a pain in the ass just to find a motherboard that would support the card along with the rest of the stuff i have? or is it basically the same with or without sli?
September 5, 2006 1:58:49 PM

I would upgrade your cpu before even considering putting a 7900. That system is a little out of dated. I would start with a new mb and cpu. Your current cpu would be a major bottleneck. If you want to stay with your current mb. i would upgrade to a 6800 anything more would be a waste. Even the 6800 might be to fast.
September 5, 2006 2:47:48 PM

You do need a better cpu but you dont even need SLI today. There are single cards with 2 GPUs built in like the 7950gtx. You are better off selling your card and buying one of these than going SLI now. Now when DX10 comes out SLI may again be a viable option.
September 5, 2006 2:49:35 PM

you must upgrade to socket 939 or AM2 in order to get SLI.but to answer your question,EVGA makes a very good mb in sli.check it out.sometimes they even sell them as package deals w/video card.have fun.I know I do.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582
September 5, 2006 3:29:54 PM

Quote:
if i didnt wanna do the whole sli thing, would it still be a pain in the ass just to find a motherboard that would support the card along with the rest of the stuff i have? or is it basically the same with or without sli?

I wouldn't worry about the sli until you upgrade the mb, ram and cpu. Right now, it's like you're trying to put $200 running shoes on a tortoise. They may be great shoes, and cause him to become the fastest toroise on the block...but he's still only a fast tortoise.

peace,
Aielman
September 5, 2006 4:16:25 PM

yea i guess i might as well dump my current system. im gonna have to eventually to keep up as far as gaming goes. heres what im shooting for:

-CPU- (still debating on the two)
*Conroe* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004 $235
*AM2* http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16819103747 $187 (probably gonna end up going with this)

-Motherboad-
*Asus P5B Deluxe* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... $239

-Ram-
not yet

-Power-
*OCZ* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711001 $139

i guess thats pretty much the basic setup of what im gonna need. ill update it as i research more. thanks so far for the help
September 6, 2006 1:35:50 AM

If I were you I would invest on the E6400, or if you want to aim lower E6300. Core 2 Duos smack A64 x2 :lol: 
September 6, 2006 1:59:42 AM

i was talking earlier with someone and told him im not really on a budget. so he told me to consider looking at this board: Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Edition. i did some reading on it and it looks awesome. but from what i read, it doesnt support sli. i honestly dont plan on actually using 2xGPUs yet but at the same time i dont wanna have to buy a new mobo when the time comes.

there is however, a board that i hear is soon to be out. i think its the nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition. of course it probably wont be coming with as many features from the start but it does allow sli.
September 6, 2006 2:25:25 AM

Asus does make a good mb.i've personally stuck with giga-byte.i've had to rma a few boards,but i've always been happy with the customer service from them.Evga is just recent into the mb segment of computers.however,if you look at their mb,they use moderate-high end to high end components.(capasitors and what not).i've been very impressed with the board i have.and i've had very few issues with it.the ones i have had were easily taken care of.just my 2 cents worth.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582
September 6, 2006 1:37:12 PM

yea i hear ya. my first board (and still is) is an asus board and it was worth it. im probably gonna go with Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi. the person that recommended this to me also told me that i could get hacked drivers that would make it sli capable. i still have to get more info on that
September 6, 2006 11:09:30 PM

There's something in me that just doesn't trust hacked drivers? What about the P5N 32 SLI SE? Fully SLI and Conroe compatible, though it does use the older nForce 4 chipset and doesn't overclock well. Check this link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131031
Pretty much the only game in town for SLI+Conroe right now. Enjoy!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2006 12:55:29 AM

i was actually browsing around trying to find some more info on that new 590chipset board asus was coming out with and ended up stumbling across this site: http://www.excaliberpc.com/ASUS_P5N32-SLI_Premium_NVIDI...

they have it in for pre-order but state its coming out mid-september. they have it at about $305 though. i was actually debating whether i should go for the preorder or go for ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (i understand it isnt sli)
September 7, 2006 1:34:34 AM

not sure why it posted under anonymous but now i cant go back and edit my post. im just gonna stick with what i was going for at first which is the ASUS P5B Deluxe. i read some great reviews on it especially overclocking capabilities. although im not too sure what that extra pci-e slot is there for since its 4x unless there are other things that use it?
!