Help with Formating

November 3, 2004 6:49:41 PM

I have a problem with the formating of a 3.5" floppy.
I go to MY Computer,hilite the floppy,hit Format, type
"TEST", then "START",---the lite comes on,on the disk, then
it makes a nosie(like its start to write) then I get
"windows was unable to complete the format". I have tried
the whole box of the disks with the same result. The box is
labled "2DD IBM Formatted". I can't write on them. PLEASE
Help!!

More about : formating

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 10:15:31 PM

These are not 1.44 MB floppies (HD) they are 720KB (DD).

You can format them from the command prompt by typing:
format A: /F:720 (I think).

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Leroy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem with the formating of a 3.5" floppy.
> I go to MY Computer,hilite the floppy,hit Format, type
> "TEST", then "START",---the lite comes on,on the disk, then
> it makes a nosie(like its start to write) then I get
> "windows was unable to complete the format". I have tried
> the whole box of the disks with the same result. The box is
> labled "2DD IBM Formatted". I can't write on them. PLEASE
> Help!!
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 5:15:09 AM

"2DD IBM Formatted"? Why format them, they are already formatted..

No really, I don't think you can format those disks from WinExplorer, as
they are 720k Double Density disks. WinExplorer only formats 1.44MB High
Density disks. To format those, you have do it from a command prompt with
the command "format a: /t:xx /n:yy (I don't remeber the values anymore, but
I think they are /t:80 and /n:18)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Leroy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I have a problem with the formating of a 3.5" floppy.
> I go to MY Computer,hilite the floppy,hit Format, type
> "TEST", then "START",---the lite comes on,on the disk, then
> it makes a nosie(like its start to write) then I get
> "windows was unable to complete the format". I have tried
> the whole box of the disks with the same result. The box is
> labled "2DD IBM Formatted". I can't write on them. PLEASE
> Help!!
November 4, 2004 8:58:10 PM

Throw those antique floppy disks away and purchase a box of HD disks.

!