w2k and big disks ??

It seems that disks larger than 137GB need sp3 plus a registry patch, right ?

So suppose I'm rebuilding my machine using a new 200GB SATA drive as
the bootable disk but my w2k disk predates SP3. (my mobo has SATA
controllers.)

How can I install the OS on this machine ?

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
5 answers Last reply
More about disks

    Hi, Al.

    A mobo with SATA onboard should certainly support "big drives" (over 137
    GB). However, your Win2K CD-ROM (especially if it's pre-SP3) won't have the
    SATA drivers onboard. So it won't know what to do with those onboard SATA
    controllers. You'll need to have those drivers on a floppy diskette and
    press F6 when invited (early in the Setup process) so that Setup can
    integrate those drivers into your copy of Win2K. Otherwise, when Setup
    finishes the text phase of installing Win2K and tries to boot into Win2K
    from that HD for the first time to complete the GUI phase, it will fail,
    probably with a BSOD complaining of Stop 0x7B, Inaccessible_Boot_Device.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    > It seems that disks larger than 137GB need sp3 plus a registry patch,
    > right ?
    >
    > So suppose I'm rebuilding my machine using a new 200GB SATA drive as
    > the bootable disk but my w2k disk predates SP3. (my mobo has SATA
    > controllers.)
    >
    > How can I install the OS on this machine ?
    >
    > --
    >
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Do a search on how to create a slip streamed version the the install
    with the latest sp's included.

    --
    wanderer
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Whilst the mobo bios may support big disks, surely Win2k pre sp3 does not,
    even allowing for the F6 Sata drivers option? and as such a slipstreamed
    updated version of win2k would be required?

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Al.
    >
    > A mobo with SATA onboard should certainly support "big drives" (over 137
    > GB). However, your Win2K CD-ROM (especially if it's pre-SP3) won't have
    the
    > SATA drivers onboard. So it won't know what to do with those onboard SATA
    > controllers. You'll need to have those drivers on a floppy diskette and
    > press F6 when invited (early in the Setup process) so that Setup can
    > integrate those drivers into your copy of Win2K. Otherwise, when Setup
    > finishes the text phase of installing Win2K and tries to boot into Win2K
    > from that HD for the first time to complete the GUI phase, it will fail,
    > probably with a BSOD complaining of Stop 0x7B, Inaccessible_Boot_Device.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > It seems that disks larger than 137GB need sp3 plus a registry patch,
    > > right ?
    > >
    > > So suppose I'm rebuilding my machine using a new 200GB SATA drive as
    > > the bootable disk but my w2k disk predates SP3. (my mobo has SATA
    > > controllers.)
    > >
    > > How can I install the OS on this machine ?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    In article <OrGxaMGHFHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, DL <dl@spoofmail> wrote:
    >Whilst the mobo bios may support big disks, surely Win2k pre sp3 does not,
    >even allowing for the F6 Sata drivers option? and as such a slipstreamed
    >updated version of win2k would be required?

    Are there instructions for slipstreaming a service pack into my w2k ?

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    http://www.3iii.dk/computer/W2Kboot.htm#A4 and
    http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/slipstream.html
    two of many sites. Replace any ref to sp* with your latest sp

File System Microsoft Windows