Linksys Routers

We're wondering whether other people are seeing this problem:

We have, over the last year, installed numerous Linksys routers -- the
newer firmware bearing the Cisco brand -- all of which are crashing the
networks they're on. These are the 4 port Cable/DSL router.

It is definitely the router doing it -- we've replaced some with DLinks
and the problems immediately stopped.

Internet access is unaffected; it just causes intermittent disconnects
of workstations for no apparent reason. In one instance, we had an
exceptionally stable network with the earlier model Linksys router.
The router failed and was replaced with the new model, and the problems
began. Ten days later we put in a DLink and all is well.

The Linksys tech support people have recommended the flash upgrades,
but we have yet to get the upgrade to work on one of them, and they
deny the problem anyway.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Anyone want to buy some new
Linksys routers pulled from service?

frontmed@gmail.com wrote:

> We're wondering whether other people are seeing this problem:
>
> We have, over the last year, installed numerous Linksys routers -- the
> newer firmware bearing the Cisco brand -- all of which are crashing the
> networks they're on. These are the 4 port Cable/DSL router.
>
> It is definitely the router doing it -- we've replaced some with DLinks
> and the problems immediately stopped.
>
> Internet access is unaffected; it just causes intermittent disconnects
> of workstations for no apparent reason. In one instance, we had an
> exceptionally stable network with the earlier model Linksys router.
> The router failed and was replaced with the new model, and the problems
> began. Ten days later we put in a DLink and all is well.
>
> The Linksys tech support people have recommended the flash upgrades,
> but we have yet to get the upgrade to work on one of them, and they
> deny the problem anyway.
>
> Wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Anyone want to buy some new
> Linksys routers pulled from service?

IF tech support is not being helpful, then escalate the problem. IF
they
fail to escalate it and solve the problem, start writing letters to the
president
of linsys and the CEO of Cisco. Become the squeaky wheel that needs
to be greased.

--Dale

frontmed@gmail.com wrote:

> We're wondering whether other people are seeing this problem:
>
> We have, over the last year, installed numerous Linksys routers -- the
> newer firmware bearing the Cisco brand -- all of which are crashing the
> networks they're on. These are the 4 port Cable/DSL router.
>
> It is definitely the router doing it -- we've replaced some with DLinks
> and the problems immediately stopped.
>
> Internet access is unaffected; it just causes intermittent disconnects
> of workstations for no apparent reason. In one instance, we had an
> exceptionally stable network with the earlier model Linksys router.
> The router failed and was replaced with the new model, and the problems
> began. Ten days later we put in a DLink and all is well.
>
> The Linksys tech support people have recommended the flash upgrades,
> but we have yet to get the upgrade to work on one of them, and they
> deny the problem anyway.
>
> Wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Anyone want to buy some new
> Linksys routers pulled from service?

Please forgive me if this seems a stupid question, but did you turn off DCHP
on all of them and make sure it stayed off?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

In article <4251787E.A4A74B26@cybercom.net>,
Dale Farmer <dale@cybercom.net> wrote:
:IF tech support is not being helpful, then escalate the problem. IF they
:fail to escalate it and solve the problem, start writing letters to the
:president
:eek:f linsys and the CEO of Cisco. Become the squeaky wheel that needs
:to be greased.

I'm not the OP, but I'll interject for a moment:

Sometimes it's just not worth chasing down a problem.

Being the "squeaky wheel" requires writing email, making calls,
playing phone tag, being pushy, explaining the incident
to your supervisor, explaining to your supervisor what the response
is so far, explaining to your supervisor's supervisor why the problem
still hasn't been solved...

What's the ROI? If your network is broken and people can't work,
then you are losing money, and the longer you go without a solution,
the more money you lose and the faster you lose it. Meanwhile your
salary has to be paid for the time you are squeaking, your supervisor
has to be paid to "manage" your squeaking, the people who can't work
have to have their salary paid.

Suppose that you called today (Monday) and managed to get through to
Someone With Authority, and they said, "Yessir, we'll fly in the
Product Manager and the engineering lead for that product, and they
will work on the problem all day and all night until the problem
is tracked down; and if necessary, we'll issue ECO's and have
our factories modify the hardware. We can have them there from
a different continent on Thursday afternoon." Could your organization
last the rest of the week with a broken network?

Our branch isn't particularily big, but we estimate that after
the first few hours [when people can get caught up reading journals
or attending meetings or cleaning their rooms] -- that once the
slop time is used up, that it costs us about $C10,000 per hour
in salaries. If we were a "business" it could cost us far far more
than that in lost sales. To low-ball it, call it $US50,000 per day
lost... lost primarily due to the stubborn will to be the "squeaky wheel"
instead of just cutting losses and going with a different product
or configuration that is known to work.
--
Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann

frontmed@gmail.com schrieb:
> We're wondering whether other people are seeing this problem:

Dont't know what you mean with "network crash" - we're using BEFSX41 and
had really big problems with the official firmware release. (Router
rebootet when it gets udp packets etc...)
Pls describe your problem a little more detailed, and tell me which
firmware you're using...

regards,

joerg

yeah -- these things are $50 apiece and we're just swapping them out.
I've probably put in 100 or more Linksys routers over the years with
never a problem. Anyway, we've just started replacing them with
Dlinks.

Someone asked about the DHCP server, but we don't want it disabled
because we use them in lieu of the Windows DHCP server as these are all
small (<30 workstation) networks.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen the problem.

When I talked w/ their support it was a like a brick wall. The guy
clearly had a script and he was determined to take me through it: I
understand it, but drew the line when he insisted I had to use
192.168.1.1 for the router's IP address (the particular network we were
working on uses 10.10.10.n).

Thanks for your suggestions, anyway...

>:IF tech support is not being helpful, then escalate the problem.

> Sometimes it's just not worth chasing down a problem.
>Being the "squeaky wheel" requires writing email, making calls,
>playing phone tag, being pushy, explaining the incident
>to your supervisor, explaining to your supervisor what the response
>is so far, explaining to your supervisor's supervisor why the problem
>still hasn't been solved...

I'm afraid the ultimate answer is from Lily Tomlin's character
Ernistine, the telephone operator
we don't care. we don't have to.

My linksys befsr41 keeps rebooting by itself.
I'm afraid the official answer will be
"it's no longer supported / end of life /
we can't recreate the problem and we won't give you diagnostics to log it yourself".

I gave away my dlink because one of the admin pages works ONLY under IE.
I reported all the javascript ERRORS the other browsers reported for undefined methods.
I see no fix or meaningful reply as of yet.

TRENDING THREADS