Possible Problem with new video card - 7600GT

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I just built a new E6600 based system which I am otherwise very pleased with. My problem is when I play Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO), I have a very bad experience - I get artifacts during load, I get a Flashing-freeze-up where I cannot interact and the image goes on and off, and this persists into the OS once I exit the game. I have to reboot in order to make things functional again. BTW - I am not overclocking yet.

I do not have this problem with City of Heroes (COH), although this may be that COH does not use a component that DDO does.

System Specs:

E6600 CPU
Asus P5B MB
Corsair DDR2 800 - CAS4 memory
XFX 7600GT video card
Antec P180B case (not part of the problem - but a sweet case :))
Fortron 600W PS

I have the latest video drivers from Nvidia, and I have DirectX 9c installed.

I did a quick perusal of the forum, but perhaps it was too quick - Please do not flame me if I overlooked something that was previously posted.

Thank you for your assistance.

Cheers.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
your problem may very well be the "latest drivers"from nvidia.i take it you are using 91.31.well there is a little known fact that there are issues with this driver release.i've had numerous problems with that driver,and when i brought it to nvidias attention,they stated that there were in fact some issues with this driver and they directed me to the previous version being one 84.21.try this driver and then if you still have the same problems,you might consider rma'ing the video card.but i think it is just a driver issue.seriously try and older driver and see what happens.goodluck.oh ya,nvidia does plan to release a fix,just not known as to when it will be released.
Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582

blade47

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
your problem may very well be the "latest drivers"from nvidia.i take it you are using 91.31.well there is a little known fact that there are issues with this driver release.i've had numerous problems with that driver,and when i brought it to nvidias attention,they stated that there were in fact some issues with this driver and they directed me to the previous version being one 84.21.try this driver and then if you still have the same problems,you might consider rma'ing the video card.but i think it is just a driver issue.seriously try and older driver and see what happens.goodluck.oh ya,nvidia does plan to release a fix,just not known as to when it will be released.
Dahak
get the latest drivers 91.47 and btw have u ever made an attempt to overclock your graphics card???

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
yes i have overclocked my video cards several times over the last four years(including the ones i currently have)not a noob to it.and the driver version you are talking about is still considered beta and NOT WHQL CERTIFIED.which was my primary argument with nvidia.oh ya and i've even fried a card or two with my overclocks.lol.stuff happens right.anyways beta drivers are not always reliable so like i said try an older version and see what happens.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Avarice, did you overclock your card? If so that could be the issue. I have overclocked my 6800GT and on most games I play see no artifacts or issues yet I see artifacts if I play Oblivion in particular at max overclock. I can tone the OC down some and that takes care of the artifacting in Oblivion as well but thats the game I need the OC the most in, figures eh? lol Well just thought that if you had OC'd then that might be the issue and try without any OC. If not then drivers or bad card would seem to be it.

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Warning: Old Topic

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I am having the same problem with my newly bulit e6600 and XFX 7600GT. I however get the same artifacts and Flashing-Freeze-ups on bf2142 and multiple speed tests including 3DMark06. I have tried the drivers that came with the card and the newest ones from nvidia. The card is brand new and never been overclocked. Should I try the older drivers pre-91.31?