Powercolor X1900GT problem?

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I have a Powercolor X1900GT that I bought recently. Here is a detailed description of my problem:

1) When I run Oblivion at GPU clock 608MHz and Memory clock 701MHz, Oblivion runs smoothly.

2)But when I raise the GPU clock to 628MHz, Oblivion runs smoothly initially, then after about 3 or 4 minutes of gameplay, the screen blacks out, and the Fan of the GPU gets a lot louder.
After about 5-6 seconds, the Fan quietens down, and some on-screen artifacts appear, after which Oblivion resumes normal status.
But this is only sustainable for less than 5 minutes, before it hangs completely. For reference, the GPU temperature is about 80C at this point.

I have Oblivion patched to the latest version, and I have AA set at 4X, and AF set at 8X. I run Oblivion at a resolution of 1280X1024.

Could my card be faulty? It is rather unnerving that the Fan will speed up, then quieten down, as though it is unable to sustain the overclocked speed.

Other than the possibility that my PCI-E rail may not be supplying enough power, what else may have caused this?

If the fault lies with my cooler, will I be able to overclock further if I change it? I was briefly considering an Accelero X2 . . .

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
My PC just restarted at about 625MHz, core. Probably you'll need to raise the card's voltage to make it stable.

Ok, downloaded Atitool, any idea what is the voltage to the GPU Core when running Oblivion? Is it 1.425V as well?

I don't want to raise it too much and fry my card . . .

Also - any other possibilities?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
My PC just restarted at about 625MHz, core. Probably you'll need to raise the card's voltage to make it stable.

Ok, downloaded Atitool, any idea what is the voltage to the GPU Core when running Oblivion? Is it 1.425V as well?

I don't want to raise it too much and fry my card . . .

Also - any other possibilities?

ATI Tool should give you the option to control the card's fan speed. Set it at 100%; if it's too loud, then get an aftermarket cooler.