Brother MFC-8440 Scanning Light Always On?

I just purchased the above mentioned machine and noticed the florescent
copying/scanning light always on regardless what mode it is in. Is it
normal? If this is the case by design, it seems to be pretty stupid for
two reasons, a) it burns the tube constantly and shortens it's life
because the machine needs to be on 24/7 to receive fax. b) it
unnecessarily consumes more electricity than it needs to. Any comments?
GH
4 answers Last reply
More about brother 8440 scanning light

    "G. Huang" <gang@removethis_bell-labs.com> wrote:
    >I just purchased the above mentioned machine and noticed the florescent
    >copying/scanning light always on regardless what mode it is in. Is it
    >normal? If this is the case by design, it seems to be pretty stupid for
    >two reasons, a) it burns the tube constantly and shortens it's life
    >because the machine needs to be on 24/7 to receive fax. b) it
    >unnecessarily consumes more electricity than it needs to. Any comments?
    >GH

    I am sure this is not correct operation, suggest you call Brother or your
    dealer and ask them. I don't remember this model but have never seen a MFC that
    had the scanner lamp on all of the time.
    Tony

    <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.iZQ19irprXlUxg@ue.ph...
    > I am sure this is not correct operation, suggest you call Brother or your
    > dealer and ask them. I don't remember this model but have never seen a MFC
    that
    > had the scanner lamp on all of the time.
    > Tony

    Thanks.
    I just went to Brother web site and found this in their FAQ section on some
    similar MFC units,
    "There is no mechanism or switch that can turn the scanner light off.
    Turning the fluorescent scanner lamp on and off will place a great deal of
    stress on the fluorescent starter unit of the scanner lamp, greatly reducing
    the life of the lamp. However, the scanner lamp will automatically turn off
    after approximately 16 hours if the unit is not utilized. ..."

    So, looks like I just have to wait for 16 hours for it to turn off. I think
    it's complete BS. Every other copier I used turns on the lamp only when in
    use. It's more likely that there is a bug in the their firmware. If it were
    true, there would be a warning on every fluorescent lamp sold in Home Depot
    to say that once you turn it on, you should leave it on for at least 16
    hours.
    GH

    In article <ddqrov$68i@netnews.net.lucent.com>, gang@removethis_bell-
    labs.com says...
    > I just purchased the above mentioned machine and noticed the florescent
    > copying/scanning light always on regardless what mode it is in. Is it
    > normal? If this is the case by design, it seems to be pretty stupid for
    > two reasons, a) it burns the tube constantly and shortens it's life
    > because the machine needs to be on 24/7 to receive fax. b) it
    > unnecessarily consumes more electricity than it needs to. Any comments?
    > GH

    I have the MFC 210 and the lamp only comes on when scanning.
    --

    Cheers!

    Jan

    "G. Huang" <g_h_u_a_n_g@no_dashes_comcast.net> wrote:
    ><Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.iZQ19irprXlUxg@ue.ph...
    >> I am sure this is not correct operation, suggest you call Brother or your
    >> dealer and ask them. I don't remember this model but have never seen a MFC
    >that
    >> had the scanner lamp on all of the time.
    >> Tony
    >
    >Thanks.
    >I just went to Brother web site and found this in their FAQ section on some
    >similar MFC units,
    > "There is no mechanism or switch that can turn the scanner light off.
    >Turning the fluorescent scanner lamp on and off will place a great deal of
    >stress on the fluorescent starter unit of the scanner lamp, greatly reducing
    >the life of the lamp. However, the scanner lamp will automatically turn off
    >after approximately 16 hours if the unit is not utilized. ..."

    To use an old expression I am gobsmacked....fluorescent technology is older
    than me and it is extremely reliable nowadays. I agree with you that it is BS,
    maybe a similar issue to Brother's appalling "error 41" problem with inkjets,
    fundamentally bad design. The only up side is that fluorescents cost almost
    nothing to run but I worry about the tube life, most scanners last as long as
    the lamp and then you into replacement.
    Tony
    >So, looks like I just have to wait for 16 hours for it to turn off. I think
    >it's complete BS. Every other copier I used turns on the lamp only when in
    >use. It's more likely that there is a bug in the their firmware. If it were
    >true, there would be a warning on every fluorescent lamp sold in Home Depot
    >to say that once you turn it on, you should leave it on for at least 16
    >hours.
    >GH

Printers Light Brother Peripherals