how to defrag large cluster size >4k

is there a tool to defrag large cluster sizes? (16, 32, 64k)?
4 answers Last reply
More about defrag large cluster size

    sorry, win2k server, sp 4

    "bob" <someplace@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > is there a tool to defrag large cluster sizes? (16, 32, 64k)?

    The defragmenters that use the Microsoft APIs won't be able to do it.
    The only one I know of that can get a lock on a disk and do it is Norton
    Speed Disk, they use their own API or disk locking method.

    John

    bob wrote:

    > sorry, win2k server, sp 4
    >

    > "bob" <someplace@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>is there a tool to defrag large cluster sizes? (16, 32, 64k)?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:01:09 -0400, John John <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca>
    wrote:

    >The defragmenters that use the Microsoft APIs won't be able to do it.
    >The only one I know of that can get a lock on a disk and do it is Norton
    >Speed Disk, they use their own API or disk locking method.

    They've been using the MS API for a while now too, I think.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Bob,

    Microsoft's defrag APIs under Windows 2000 do not support this.

    You might contact Winternals - www.winternals.com. Their product Defrag
    Manager has a "boot from CD mode" that boots into a Windows PE environment
    running Windows XP. Under Windows XP, Microsoft's defrag APIs support
    defragmenting up to and including cluster size of 64k. While booted from the
    CD, they will defragment the entire drive.

    The above really is a temporary thing as the system can be unavailable for a
    long period of time. Ultimately, you should consider backing the data up,
    reformating the drive with a cluster size of 4k and then restoring the data.
    This will allow you to defragment while Windows is up and running.

    - Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

    Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
    commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

    Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

    > sorry, win2k server, sp 4
    >

    > "bob" <someplace@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > > is there a tool to defrag large cluster sizes? (16, 32, 64k)?

File System Defragment Microsoft Windows