how to defrag large cluster size >4k

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

sorry, win2k server, sp 4

"bob" <someplace@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23h0k4w4IFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> is there a tool to defrag large cluster sizes? (16, 32, 64k)?

The defragmenters that use the Microsoft APIs won't be able to do it.
The only one I know of that can get a lock on a disk and do it is Norton
Speed Disk, they use their own API or disk locking method.

John

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:01:09 -0400, John John <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca>
wrote:

>The defragmenters that use the Microsoft APIs won't be able to do it.
>The only one I know of that can get a lock on a disk and do it is Norton
>Speed Disk, they use their own API or disk locking method.

They've been using the MS API for a while now too, I think.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Bob,

Microsoft's defrag APIs under Windows 2000 do not support this.

You might contact Winternals - www.winternals.com. Their product Defrag
Manager has a "boot from CD mode" that boots into a Windows PE environment
running Windows XP. Under Windows XP, Microsoft's defrag APIs support
defragmenting up to and including cluster size of 64k. While booted from the
CD, they will defragment the entire drive.

The above really is a temporary thing as the system can be unavailable for a
long period of time. Ultimately, you should consider backing the data up,
reformating the drive with a cluster size of 4k and then restoring the data.
This will allow you to defragment while Windows is up and running.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.