SOHO routers with 10/100 WAN ports?

I'm getting (a trial of) Verizon's FIOS fiber-to-the-home product in a
couple of weeks, which comes with a special router (no idea what that
means). While I can hook my existing infrastructure up to it, my
trusty BEFSR41 has a 10BaseT WAN port and my FIOS is supposed to be
15M/2M.

I've found the Linksys/Cisco RV042 for $170 at Amazon, are there other
SOHO routers with 10/100 WAN ports I should be looking at? Does
anyone know the details of the Verizon FIOS router, and if it's safe
to use as a primary router?

There's some mention of how it's part of their infrastructure and can
run traffic analysis and other 'spyware' functions, plus they seem to
require I run their 'software' suite which appears to include
remote-control software and such, and I'd much rather have my own
firewall...

Thanks!

William wrote:
> I'm getting (a trial of) Verizon's FIOS fiber-to-the-home product in a
> couple of weeks, which comes with a special router (no idea what that
> means). While I can hook my existing infrastructure up to it, my
> trusty BEFSR41 has a 10BaseT WAN port and my FIOS is supposed to be
> 15M/2M.

> I've found the Linksys/Cisco RV042 for $170 at Amazon, are there other
> SOHO routers with 10/100 WAN ports I should be looking at?

(snip)

The Linksys WRT54G claims to have a 10/100 WAN port, and is usually
available for around $70 or so. You can turn off the wireless part if
you don't need that.

-- glen

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>The Linksys WRT54G claims to have a 10/100 WAN port, and is usually
>available for around $70 or so. You can turn off the wireless part if
>you don't need that.

Good thought, thanks! I called Verizon's FIOS line to ask some
questions, and they tried to tell me they use D-Link 624 routers, but
that can't be right, so I guess I'll see what they show up with and
have a Linksys on hand...

Thanks!

In article <05idnTKEkrnw7crfRVn-rA@comcast.com>,
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>William wrote:
>> I'm getting (a trial of) Verizon's FIOS fiber-to-the-home product in a
>> couple of weeks, which comes with a special router (no idea what that
>> means). While I can hook my existing infrastructure up to it, my
>> trusty BEFSR41 has a 10BaseT WAN port and my FIOS is supposed to be
>> 15M/2M.
>
>> I've found the Linksys/Cisco RV042 for $170 at Amazon, are there other
>> SOHO routers with 10/100 WAN ports I should be looking at?
>
>(snip)
>
>The Linksys WRT54G claims to have a 10/100 WAN port, and is usually
>available for around $70 or so. You can turn off the wireless part if
>you don't need that.
>
>-- glen

I've got a Netgear FR114P that has 10/100 ports on the WAN side..

I normally prefer to roll my own, using a FreeBSD box of some sort..

Bob Vaughan | techie@{w6yx|tantivy}.stanford.edu | kc6sxc@w6yx.ampr.org
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --