How can I get notified if files are changed?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage,microsoft.public.windows.file_system (More info?)

I have several Windows 2000 PCs that run locally written programs. The
programmers don't do a good job of letting us know when they'v emade changes
so I'm looking for a tool that'll tell me when files have changed -
something proactive like a net send or an email. Does anybody know of a tool
that'll do that?
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about notified files changed
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage,microsoft.public.windows.file_system (More info?)

    Sandra wrote:
    > I have several Windows 2000 PCs that run locally written programs. The
    > programmers don't do a good job of letting us know when they'v emade
    > changes so I'm looking for a tool that'll tell me when files have
    > changed - something proactive like a net send or an email. Does
    > anybody know of a tool that'll do that?
    > Thanks

    There may be something out there, but I suspect you'll end up chasing your
    tail. The *real* issue is that your developers need to change how they work
    and not just decide to change *anything* without planning, testing, & prior
    notification. As a wise man said, "There are seldom good technological
    solutions for behavioral problems". Might want to look into VisualSourceSafe
    ?

    Not sure why you included a w95 group in your post...
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage,microsoft.public.windows.file_system (More info?)

    Sandra,
    I agree with Lanwench, the problem is "procedural" - in a perfect world,
    the developer checks out the source, makes his/her changes, unit tests, and
    if a large change, sets up or coordinates a system test. Afterwards, it is
    passed on to QA aka Quality Assurance, who then does some other minor
    testing and promotes to production status, checking in the new source code
    and working with the network admins such as yourself to push the updated
    program out, whether it be a group of home grown scripts, login scripts, a
    PC Tech going to each PC requiring it and installing, or now a days, making
    the change to an OU for AD to push out.
    Either way, your first stop is to install and force using some type of
    Software Version Control, Visual SafeSource is a good start, then remove the
    developers access from installing on any "Production
    Server/PC/Workstation/Laptop", except maybe their own, unless you have Test
    systems for them to use, then remove it from theirs too.
    Hence, I'm a developer, and I'm on your side, and yes they'll moan,
    gripe and other unmentionable words, but it is the correct and safe way to
    go.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "Sandra" <ab@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
    > I have several Windows 2000 PCs that run locally written programs. The
    > programmers don't do a good job of letting us know when they'v emade
    changes
    > so I'm looking for a tool that'll tell me when files have changed -
    > something proactive like a net send or an email. Does anybody know of a
    tool
    > that'll do that?
    > Thanks

File System Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows