Possible stack dump question

I'm running a very clean XP computer with basic MS software and a flight
simulator. All updates including SP2 are in play.
Every now and then, it could be weeks between events, I get a sudden
shutdown and restart with an error message on the desktop after the
reboot. I think it's a memory stack dump but I'm not sure. I copied and
pasted the error message but didn't think I could attach it here.
Does anyone know what might be causing the computer to do this and what
might be done to correct the issue?
Thanks much
Dudley
4 answers Last reply
More about possible stack dump question

    Hi Dudley,

    The message s probably about a minidump being created in a temp folder.
    Could you check for it, probably someplace under C:\Documents and
    Settings\<username>\local settings\temp. The .dmp file will likely contain
    some codes and may pinpoint the file that caused the crash, but it needs to
    be analyzed. Could you send it directly to me at the address used here? Just
    change the subject line to "per req" to get through the filters.

    Another option is to disable the autorestart on system failure behavior.
    Then, then next time it happens there will be a stop error (blue screen)
    rather than a reboot. You can often use the error message to decipher what
    is wrong. You can disable this from the Control Panel/System/Advanced tab,
    click on startup and performance settings, then uncheck the restart on
    system failure option. It is set this way by default to help prevent damage
    to the machine, but temporarily disabling it should not cause any problems.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I'm running a very clean XP computer with basic MS software and a flight
    > simulator. All updates including SP2 are in play.
    > Every now and then, it could be weeks between events, I get a sudden
    > shutdown and restart with an error message on the desktop after the
    > reboot. I think it's a memory stack dump but I'm not sure. I copied and
    > pasted the error message but didn't think I could attach it here.
    > Does anyone know what might be causing the computer to do this and what
    > might be done to correct the issue?
    > Thanks much
    > Dudley

    Hi Rick;
    I looked in the temp folder but no dmp. file. I think I might have
    defaulted through the save report prompt on the reboot message.
    If it happens again I'll save the report and post. Is there anything I
    can do in the way of keeping the temp folder clean every day that might
    help this, or is it caused by a program already in the system creating
    something as I'm working in a temp folder?
    In other words, is there a skinny on this that might cause me to change
    something I'm doing that might be the cause?
    Thanks as usual.
    By the way, I tried to send two files in word format where I pasted the
    screens for the error codes involved but the files are 2 and 3 megs. Is
    there a way to create these as a jpeg for emailing them? I couldn't find
    a jpeg option in save as :-))
    Dudley
    > Hi Dudley,
    >
    > The message s probably about a minidump being created in a temp
    > folder. Could you check for it, probably someplace under C:\Documents
    > and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp. The .dmp file will likely
    > contain some codes and may pinpoint the file that caused the crash,
    > but it needs to be analyzed. Could you send it directly to me at the
    > address used here? Just change the subject line to "per req" to get
    > through the filters.
    >
    > Another option is to disable the autorestart on system failure
    > behavior. Then, then next time it happens there will be a stop error
    > (blue screen) rather than a reboot. You can often use the error
    > message to decipher what is wrong. You can disable this from the
    > Control Panel/System/Advanced tab, click on startup and performance
    > settings, then uncheck the restart on system failure option. It is set
    > this way by default to help prevent damage to the machine, but
    > temporarily disabling it should not cause any problems.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm running a very clean XP computer with basic MS software and a
    >> flight simulator. All updates including SP2 are in play.
    >> Every now and then, it could be weeks between events, I get a sudden
    >> shutdown and restart with an error message on the desktop after the
    >> reboot. I think it's a memory stack dump but I'm not sure. I copied
    >> and pasted the error message but didn't think I could attach it here.
    >> Does anyone know what might be causing the computer to do this and
    >> what might be done to correct the issue?
    >> Thanks much
    >> Dudley

    Hi Dudley,

    Just send the next one (and remind me of why you are sending it). Stuff in
    the temp folder usually isn't a problem, these kinds of things are usually
    software or driver related.

    --

    > Hi Rick;
    > I looked in the temp folder but no dmp. file. I think I might have
    > defaulted through the save report prompt on the reboot message.
    > If it happens again I'll save the report and post. Is there anything I can
    > do in the way of keeping the temp folder clean every day that might help
    > this, or is it caused by a program already in the system creating
    > something as I'm working in a temp folder?
    > In other words, is there a skinny on this that might cause me to change
    > something I'm doing that might be the cause?
    > Thanks as usual.
    > By the way, I tried to send two files in word format where I pasted the
    > screens for the error codes involved but the files are 2 and 3 megs. Is
    > there a way to create these as a jpeg for emailing them? I couldn't find a
    > jpeg option in save as :-))
    > Dudley
    >> Hi Dudley,
    >>
    >> The message s probably about a minidump being created in a temp folder.
    >> Could you check for it, probably someplace under C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\<username>\local settings\temp. The .dmp file will likely
    >> contain some codes and may pinpoint the file that caused the crash, but
    >> it needs to be analyzed. Could you send it directly to me at the address
    >> used here? Just change the subject line to "per req" to get through the
    >> filters.
    >>
    >> Another option is to disable the autorestart on system failure behavior.
    >> Then, then next time it happens there will be a stop error (blue screen)
    >> rather than a reboot. You can often use the error message to decipher
    >> what is wrong. You can disable this from the Control
    >> Panel/System/Advanced tab, click on startup and performance settings,
    >> then uncheck the restart on system failure option. It is set this way by
    >> default to help prevent damage to the machine, but temporarily disabling
    >> it should not cause any problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> I'm running a very clean XP computer with basic MS software and a flight
    >>> simulator. All updates including SP2 are in play.
    >>> Every now and then, it could be weeks between events, I get a sudden
    >>> shutdown and restart with an error message on the desktop after the
    >>> reboot. I think it's a memory stack dump but I'm not sure. I copied and
    >>> pasted the error message but didn't think I could attach it here.
    >>> Does anyone know what might be causing the computer to do this and what
    >>> might be done to correct the issue?
    >>> Thanks much
    >>> Dudley

    Thanks Rick. The next time it happens, I'll post to the group "attention
    Rick Rogers. I'll save the files for you, and thanks again for your
    ongoing interest in my computer dilemmas. :-)

    Dudley

Error Message Windows XP