Sign in with
Your question

Need advise building a server(with normal home hardware)

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2006 5:38:56 PM

I need some advise bulding a server, its only for filesharing, e-mail and print. I dont wanna spend like 1.5k in a hp server because it will be a waste of money because i will not use 10% of the capacity of that.

I want to know what you suggest to build a server for that specifications.
Powersupply doesnt need to be redundant and if is possible to do that without using cpu's for servers.
September 5, 2006 6:22:10 PM

I'm also thinking of building a server, much like yours situation I'm only in need of something for the house that wil work for perhaps 2-5 computers. I would like to use parts from old an 1.8Mhz AMD computer that in a few peaces right now. I guess I could just go google how to set it all up...
September 5, 2006 6:53:32 PM

Sticking to sensible suggestions:

1) Lots of storage
2) A RAID 1 or 5 setup for data security.
3) Lots of RAM so the system is not a bottleneck in your life
4) Set up a RAM drive and put the stuff you use the most on it.

You can achieve RAID setups using IDE drives as well as SATA technology with almost any new motherboard. I believe that nVidia nforce 4 and above do it. If you're on a budget then socket 939 performs excellently for the price, especially the AMD X2 3800+.

Linux might be good for server purposes, otherwise Windows 2000 will do you fine.

5) Spend money on quality ethernet components. If you're going wireless then invest in those speedbooster products by linksys or something with pre-n capabilities. The faster you connect to the machine, the better.
Related resources
September 5, 2006 6:55:07 PM

I would recommend getting stable parts from good companies, a power efficient processor and run 4 500 gb hdds in a raid 0+1 setup which will give you 1tb of storage backed up on the fly, in case anything happens.
I would also look for high efficiency on the power supply > 80%.
September 5, 2006 7:11:00 PM

If it's just a file/print server then you don't need much horsepower. A P3 will do just fine.

If you plan to use a raid array, then I recommend you get a controller card and not rely on the motherboard. If you do that, you can move the controller and array to another machine and not lose the array.

If you can run a gig network, do it, but you probably won't notice it for most applications. If you start pushing gigabyte files around the network then it might come in handy, but otherwise it won't make much difference. Don't use wireless for the server, wire it directly to the switch/router.

That's all you need for what you've asked. The importance of the data will decide if you need to have a backup plan, but I would probably say you do, so either mirror set, or a backup disk, or tape drive, etc.

You could also buy/build a NAS device, but may not fit your needs if you want a print server.
September 5, 2006 7:29:20 PM

Quote:
If this is fore home use and you won't have alot of other computers relying on the system then any mid range rig will do the trick. You just want to have alot of storage.

Midrange?!? That kind of stuff for home use can be done on a Pentium 2 (actually, on a 486DX2-66 if you run linux)

Buy a P3 or better yet an AXP with a RAID capable mobo. Then add disk as needed. You don't need A64 or P4 or heaven forbid, dual core, for what you're trying to do (you don't even really need RAID).
September 5, 2006 9:48:20 PM

ok here is the situation:

Its for a really small office Only 8 computers maybe 10 in a future (6 months or more) we dont do photoediting or things like that, people only use Word, Excel and Power Point. I want to save there the e-mails and obviosly the archives. Also i wanna put the server because its more easier (i think) to filter all the spam and spywares that came in. Its a very unestable network because all the viruses and spywares.

If i need to spend 1.5k on a server i will but i dont wanna waste money on that way because i know that im not going to use all the power.

So any suggestion to make a good server for what i need will be very accepted.
September 5, 2006 10:57:34 PM

Here is an example of what you could build:

Case

Hard Drive x2

Mother Board

Optical Drive

Power Supply

Memory

CPU

I picked the Sempron processor because it's cheap and more power efficient than the celeron. This totals $575 before shipping without windows. It gives you a lot of wiggle room to improve it how you like. Like Adding raid cards, gigabit ethernet, etc. that you may want.
September 5, 2006 11:32:11 PM

Since it's a business, then you need to think more about the situation. You need a backup system. And, you need to start beating people with a trout and educate them about virus's and spyware. You also need to address it on a client level, not on a server level. You're going about it in the wrong direction, IMO.

Get good antivirus protection, keep it up to date and educate your employees how to keep their machines clean. It's not easy, and it's not fool proof, but you need to address virus's and spyware at the client, not the server.
September 5, 2006 11:36:45 PM

I think you will find that the bigger hassle will be software and OS, not the hardware. I would STRONGLY suggest going the Linux route. It will be more stable, more efficient (runs fine on older/slower hardware), and much more resistant to Win-based viruses/malware/etc.
It's usually best in these kinds of situations to do a "pilot" project to start with, to gain experience and identify any major problems before you bet your whole operation on something. Get "A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux" 3rd Edition, by Mark Sobell (ISBN 0-13-228027-2). It includes a DVD with Red Hat's Fedora Core 5.
Hardware-wise, you are usually better off using slightly older components, since there has been time to write and debug the Linux drivers for them. Since you already know you will be focusing on storage and networking, you can already buy a robust full tower case (room for lots of drives, even if you start with only a few) and a top-quality power supply (this is VERY important).

Here's an idea for a case: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product... ( Coolermaster STC-T01 CM Stacker Full Tower Case, $170 w/free shipping)

Here's a PS suggestion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... ( FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP550-80GLC-R ATX 2.01/EPS12V 4 SATA 2 PCI Express 550W Power Supply; $103 AR)
or this one, if no high-power graphics card will be used: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... ( FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP400-60THN-R ATX 400W Power Supply; $67)
!