How Many Files

I am having trouble locating the MS Q article which outlines the file
limitations as to how many files can (and should) be stored in a single
folder. I believe the article I read before mentioned a "real-world" number
approaching 30K files per folder and something like 4 billion files per
volume. I am not overly concerned about how many per volume it is the per
folder and/or per folder (including sub-folders). Any help is appreciated,
thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about files

    Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

    Practically all you need to know (and more) with regards to file systems
    is here:

    Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit
    Chapter 17 - File Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/profess...

    John

    chadwic wrote:
    > I am having trouble locating the MS Q article which outlines the file
    > limitations as to how many files can (and should) be stored in a single
    > folder. I believe the article I read before mentioned a "real-world" number
    > approaching 30K files per folder and something like 4 billion files per
    > volume. I am not overly concerned about how many per volume it is the per
    > folder and/or per folder (including sub-folders). Any help is appreciated,
    > thanks.

File System Microsoft Windows