Corsair XMS2 CAS4 + E6600 Timing Problem

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Hi. I've been experiencing problems trying to set my Corsair XMS2 PC-6400C4 to the optimum timings of 4-4-4-4-12. By default my mobo, Gigabyte 965p-DS3 when set to auto selects 4-5-5-5-18. So i manually set the timings to:

Memory Multiplier: 3(always 3@266fsb to get 800mhz frequency)
Frequency: 800mhz(in bios) / 400mhz(in CPU-Z, don't quite get that?)
CAS Latency: 4
RAS to CAS: 4
RAS Precharge: 4
tRAS: 12

It boots fine. But i randomly get BSOD. Especially when i put the system under load. Now, i have tried overvolting the ram by .1/.2/.3. As the mobo is 1.8v by default and my ram is rated at 2.1, .3 should be fine. But this had no effect, still BSOD's.

I also tried overvolting fsb/MCH/PCI-e/CPU. As well as manually setting the PCI frequency. Nothing seems to help. I really don't get this.

Should i RMA the ram? or could it be a problem with the mobo? I haven't yet tried changing the RAM slot positions, which i might try if nothing else works.

Thanks in advance.

Mondoman

Splendid
If you could give the specific model number of your RAM, that would help. Also, you weren't clear why you thought the BSOD was due to the RAM. Have you run PRIME95, 1 copy per CPU core under Win, or memtest86+ on its own boot disk/CD to verify that your system works OK under the "auto" timings?
It's always good to list all your system component brands and model numbers, including things like case and power supply.

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
It turns out that one of the twin 2 gig matched pair is faulty. Infact it's completely dead now. My system only boots with one of them. It's good in some respects because i can now rma it back. There's nothing worse than having intermitent problems.

I'm actually quite shocked. I specifically went for cosair because it's supposed to be reliable. I guess that proves going for a brand name makes little difference.

I'm going to try out ocz pc-6400 C4 now, see what they are like. Couldn't be any worse than top of the range cosair performance memory that dies within 2 weeks of building system, lol.

I'm running that one stick at 4-4-4-4-12 now and it works like a dream, :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
It turns out that one of the twin 2 gig matched pair is faulty. Infact it's completely dead now. My system only boots with one of them. It's good in some respects because i can now rma it back. There's nothing worse than having intermitent problems.

I'm actually quite shocked. I specifically went for cosair because it's supposed to be reliable. I guess that proves going for a brand name makes little difference.

I'm going to try out ocz pc-6400 C4 now, see what they are like. Couldn't be any worse than top of the range cosair performance memory that dies within 2 weeks of building system, lol.

I'm running that one stick at 4-4-4-4-12 now and it works like a dream, :D
Just because a stick of Corsair died, don't think that that makes Corsair junk. It can, and does happen with all brands. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS