Overclocking a Bacon Sandwich

chomxxo

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Funny, and a long overdue "roast" of Tomshardware's eccentric baselining methods.

It would be funnier if you drank a glass of water, cleared your throat, and shot it again.

templinc

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
They need to use Benjamin in more of their videos. That is some of the funniest crap I've seen in a while!!

My new favorite word "baconess", ROFLMAO!!!

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I thought this was completely f@#$ing stupid!

I feel cheated of 5 minutes of my life. I understand what you were going for, but it was poorly executed.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
WTF? I agree. That was really weak

Why didn't they do a hardcore L337 sandwich with a full pound of bacon? And then have booth babes serve them at a lan tourney...

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Maybe if you let this guy make some of you reviews (cheap dvds or $300 pcs..) quality would rise...

This was stupid, but at least he knows what he's talking about... :!:

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
About the Project:

Background link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6538643.stm

The principal problem I have with the Leeds university study is that the analysis is limited to only the factors that it occurred to for the researchers to track.

“The formula is: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.”

1. There’s no expression of the type, proportion, or shape of the bread here.

2. I would contend, that for a significant number of sandwich designs, fc>> fb. Oil, Texture, Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter.

3. The most important thing that was not considered is human use cases. Speed, price, convinence factors, portability, flavor. Can the sandwich be eaten one handed? How wide is too wide? Mouth size?

4. This is not the “ultimate bacon sandwich” or the “best bacon sandwich”. This is the “average, favorite bacon sandwich, based on a sample size of 50”. A very useful, but not

5. And, this leads me to the real, primary reason why I wanted to take this specific story on. I know, that out there, there are projects out there, that are going to make the same jump to conclusions based on surveys. Sony PSP, I’m looking at you.

That, and the other Toms Hardware guys wouldn’t me play with the QuadFather.
http://omidr.typepad.com/twitchblog/2007/04/a_look_at_the_q.html

I am here at your pleasure. Since I am new to Tom’s Hardware, and this is my first job ever, our budget was, $0, plus the stuff had in my wallet allocated for lunch. (I normally work to keep the website up an running) I want to make what you want to watch. I may not be as competent a presenter, or as polished as, say what you can find on G4 TV, but I can install my own drivers, and will work to the best of my ability.

--

Corrections:

Because supply chain problems, the video production team had to guess at what the names of the sandwiches were. Here are the official names, from the development team.

1: Leeds University Baseline
2: The ultimate FRX 1337 Porkzors
3. Micro Headshot : Small Form Factor Extreeeeeme
4. Liu Pei
5. Shinobi BX-111: Stealth Sandwich

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
We did not do a two pound sandwich for two reasons:

See this guy's demonstration.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/

1. A sandwich with two pounds of bacon is no longer a sandwich. It's a pile of pork between two slices of bread, as that sandwich demonstrates.

2. We didn't have the budget for that much bacon. Besides, isn't the heart of overclocking to do more with less?

The original specs for the FRX 1337 Porkzors called for neon glowsticks and christmas lights, but alas, we could not afford them.

And if we couldn't afford glowsticks, there's no way we could get booth babes. Not even a cardboard cutout of one.

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Considering how hot these new systems get, I'm not surprised to see this new mod really "sizzle". (Insert Drum sound *Bah-dom-chhhh!*) Have you ever tried the add on: "McCormicks" with the hot mustard "line in"?

That was a hoot! It's nice to see THG poke fun at the modding biz in true form.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
And if we couldn't afford glowsticks, there's no way we could get booth babes. Not even a cardboard cutout of one.
After seeing the VT vid, I'm sure you could have gotten TwitchGuru to donate a cutout... [/friendly suggestion]

Ben, do you always have difficulty breathing on camera (I'm a big guy myself, so I can understand) or were you doing a 3GM impression?

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The TwitchGuru would have strangled me with his overpriced mouse, if I dressed his precious Kirk like a booth babe. The TechDarling probably would have done worse, if I even suggested that she fill in.

Not that I'm ruling either of those two options out, should I get a chance to make more video...

I had no idea I had difficulty breathing on camera, as this is the first time I've ever been recorded. I was trying to channel 3D Gameman, but didn't gave enough caffene handy to get his wild eyed hyperintensity really down.

I'm going to blame it on inhaling bacon fumes for several hours.

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Which is worse for your health....a Big Mac or a Bacon Sandwich and is a Big Mac allready overclocked? We should have a benchmark test between those two!!

Cool movie. :D Well done.

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Where did it go?! I was going to show the vid to a few comrades but the video is gone... :(

I hope it was not pulled for good because it was fun to watch.

Latest posts