Closed

Windows 2003 Full Path + file name limit to 255 characters?

I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
claim true?

If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows 2003 full path file limit characters

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:07:02 -0800, "Terence" <Terence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
    >for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
    >claim true?
    >
    >If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?

    It is the same limit as in Windows 2000.

    Use shorter folder and file names.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    Is there any workarounds or alternatives?

    "Jerold Schulman" wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:07:02 -0800, "Terence" <Terence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
    > >for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
    > >claim true?
    > >
    > >If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?
    > >

    > It is the same limit as in Windows 2000.
    >
    > Use shorter folder and file names.
    >

    > Jerold Schulman
    > Windows Server MVP
    > JSI, Inc.
    > http://www.jsiinc.com

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:07:02 -0800, "Terence"
    <Terence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

    >I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
    >for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
    >claim true?
    >
    >If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?

    AFAIK only the file name is limited to 255 characters; the file system
    (NTFS 5) allows path lengths up to 32KB. Whether an application supports
    paths that long is a different question - CMD.EXE doesn't; I believe
    BackupExec does. YMMV.

    As for workarounds: using short 8.3 names may help, or creating SUBST'ed
    drive letters.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    It seems that Windows File Explorer can't open those long full path, this is
    a big headache! How can we store the files in Windows server without using
    Windows File Explorer on users' desktop side? Any replacement of Windows
    File Explorer to access long file path and file name which exceeds 255
    characters?

    "Michael Bednarek" wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:07:02 -0800, "Terence"
    > <Terence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:
    >
    > >I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
    > >for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
    > >claim true?
    > >
    > >If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?
    >
    > AFAIK only the file name is limited to 255 characters; the file system
    > (NTFS 5) allows path lengths up to 32KB. Whether an application supports
    > paths that long is a different question - CMD.EXE doesn't; I believe
    > BackupExec does. YMMV.
    >
    > As for workarounds: using short 8.3 names may help, or creating SUBST'ed
    > drive letters.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Bednarek http://mbednarek.com/ "POST NO BILLS"

File Name File System Windows Server 2003 Windows