Closed

Windows 2003 Full Path + file name limit to 255 characters?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 21, 2005 3:07:02 AM

I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
claim true?

If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:54:52 AM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:07:02 -0800, "Terence" <Terence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
>for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
>claim true?
>
>If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?

It is the same limit as in Windows 2000.

Use shorter folder and file names.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:07:04 AM

Is there any workarounds or alternatives?

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:07:02 -0800, "Terence" <Terence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
> >for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
> >claim true?
> >
> >If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?
> >

> It is the same limit as in Windows 2000.
>
> Use shorter folder and file names.
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

March 22, 2005 10:16:32 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:07:02 -0800, "Terence"
<Terence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

>I have heard Windows 2003 server file system can support up to 255 characters
>for the Full Path + File Name (e.g. c:\home\usera\.....\abc.xls), is this
>claim true?
>
>If so, any resolution or workaround to get rid of this limitation?

AFAIK only the file name is limited to 255 characters; the file system
(NTFS 5) allows path lengths up to 32KB. Whether an application supports
paths that long is a different question - CMD.EXE doesn't; I believe
BackupExec does. YMMV.

As for workarounds: using short 8.3 names may help, or creating SUBST'ed
drive letters.

March 22, 2005 10:16:33 PM

It seems that Windows File Explorer can't open those long full path, this is
a big headache! How can we store the files in Windows server without using
Windows File Explorer on users' desktop side? Any replacement of Windows
File Explorer to access long file path and file name which exceeds 255
characters?

!