Yet Another P180 PSU Question

J609

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Well first off I would like to ask if anyone can tell me if a 550W power suppy is around what I would need to power a system with the following hardware.

E6600
Asus P5B
4GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800
XFX7600GT
2X Western Digital Caviar 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA Drives
4xYATE LOON 120mm Case Fans
2xNEC ND-3550A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drives

I dont overclock at all. I plan to buy a new d10 card when they come out so the 7600gt is just a place holder.

my second question is if anybody knows if the antec TruePower TRIOs cables will be long enough for it to work in an P180 Case? or should I go with the NeoHE? I heard about some problems with the NeoHE and Asus MBs so not sure if antec got that worked out or not. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure about the antec's, but I've just built a P180, and the Seasonic S12 fits very nicely, the std cables just reach the top 5 1/4 bays, I've bought an ATX extension cable and it was definately needed, although the Mobo has worst case scenario written all over it for a P180 build. If you check on SilentPCreview.com they have built and reviewed this in two formats one of which was using an Antec. Although it depends so much on Mobo layout. Get the extension cables just in case.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Well first off I would like to ask if anyone can tell me if a 550W power suppy is around what I would need to power a system with the following hardware.

E6600
Asus P5B
4GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800
XFX7600GT
2X Western Digital Caviar 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA Drives
4xYATE LOON 120mm Case Fans
2xNEC ND-3550A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drives

I dont overclock at all. I plan to buy a new d10 card when they come out so the 7600gt is just a place holder.

my second question is if anybody knows if the antec TruePower TRIOs cables will be long enough for it to work in an P180 Case? or should I go with the NeoHE? I heard about some problems with the NeoHE and Asus MBs so not sure if antec got that worked out or not. Thanks in advance for any help.

The issues with Antec PSU's and Asus mobos have been sorted.

I built my P180 with a 550W NeoHe the other day and the cables are so long you can trail them around the edge of the case for better cable management.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I thought I was reading my own specs for a minute there - same CPU, MB, Case, and graphics card. I chose the Fortron FX600 Power Supply (similar I think to the SeaSonic S12) and the power cables were nice and long - no problems fitting them to where they needed to go. Cable management is another question - but I just need to put some work on it. I may need an extension to make sure I can magage the cables away from the MB.

The 7600GT does not have an external power lead that some of the other video cards have - so it is powered strictly from the PCI-E bus. This would lend credence to not needing a huge PS...but I chose the 600W anyway.

Just find a power supply that you like - research the PS's and make sure you get one that is compatible with the case.

The previous comment on the Antec and the P5B was correct - no problem. I was not able (of course) to attach my Firewire on the case to anything on the MB - since this board does not support firewire - but then I don't use it so it doesn't matter to me. If, however, you have the need you may want to choose another board.

Cheers.