Sign in with
Your question

Stock System Crashes without OC (P5B)

Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2006 6:53:57 PM

Hello,

I am looking to get help from some of you experts out there...
I just recently purchased a system and have found that it is starting to randomly give me the blue screen of death...
I have updated the bios, and even found that when I installed PC Probe that my motherboard was at a consistant 45 degrees, and my CPU was around 53 degrees.
I haven't overclocked anything as right now the speed seems sufficient, I just want a stable system.

Here are the specs:

Asus P5B Motherboard (non-deluxe)
Intel Core2Duo E6300
Kingmaz 2GB DDR667 (2 sticks of 1gb)
BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC
Antec Sonata II Case (incl. P/S)
WD 250 gb HD

Any suggestions of how to resolve this issue?
September 5, 2006 11:04:11 PM

Which bios?
September 5, 2006 11:09:05 PM

The latest BIOS from Asus... i believe 309
Related resources
September 5, 2006 11:59:12 PM

Is this when the VGA card is underload by any chance. I ahve noticed on the Deluxe that my Mobo heats up quite a bit when the grafics card is under heavy load, however it is fine if only the CPU is under load.

Both of those temps seem high, do you have good airflow exiting the case? I've found quite a few heat problems resulting from poor case ventalation ( mostly because hte case fans weren't able to the job being too close to a wall/desk top ).
September 6, 2006 12:10:29 AM

I wouldn't doubt that poor airflow is part of the problem. My Antec case has a huge cooling duct that probably reduces cooling more than anything.

I also think that my chassis fan is set on the lowest setting possible.

Crashes usually happen at random points which makes me wonder what the problem could be, so I doubt that it could be related to the Video Card... but you never know.
September 6, 2006 12:32:04 AM

I reckon its ur RAM. Have u got any spare old ram to test against.

Also make sure the VIC, RAM are properly fitted in.
September 6, 2006 12:34:13 AM

make sure your ram is set to timings and voltage that are on your specs sheet... 8)
September 6, 2006 12:35:55 AM

I haven't got anything that would work with this setup... unless EDO is supported... lol

Is there any other way to test the ram?
September 6, 2006 12:36:46 AM

Quote:
make sure your ram is set to timings and voltage that are on your specs sheet... 8)

where would I be able to find and configure those specs?
September 6, 2006 12:40:38 AM

if they weren't included with your ram, check it on the web, then in bios set manually your vram and timings.
i had a similar problem with p5b, e6400 and corsair 6400 2 gb.
September 6, 2006 4:01:17 AM

So I removed the cooling duct from my Sonata II, changed the chassis fan speed to high, and removed/reinstalled my ram (it also seemed as if the heatsink on the ram wasn't on properly).... my CPU is now running at a consistant 48 degrees, and my motherboard is around 37 degrees...

Hopefully I won't experience any crashes, so far so good... I will keep this thread updated, for any others with this same issue...

Thanks all for the help!
September 6, 2006 4:19:21 AM

Quote:
So I removed the cooling duct from my Sonata II, changed the chassis fan speed to high, and removed/reinstalled my ram (it also seemed as if the heatsink on the ram wasn't on properly).... my CPU is now running at a consistant 48 degrees, and my motherboard is around 37 degrees...

Hopefully I won't experience any crashes, so far so good... I will keep this thread updated, for any others with this same issue...

Thanks all for the help!

i'm glad to hear that but you set timings and voltage for ram manually, correct?
September 6, 2006 4:31:11 AM

i didn't touch any ram settings... i couldn't find any...

my Kingmax Hardcore 667 ram didn't come with any docs, and I couldn't find anything on their site...
September 6, 2006 4:43:25 AM

where did you get that ram anyways?
here is a link to datasheet find your ram by part number and set your timing and voltage to the ones that cerrespond to your ram

change from SPD to manual and you will be able to set your own timings
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2006 5:05:28 AM

You have to go into BIOS and set "AI Overclocking" to "Manual" to reveal all the settings. Your RAM is probably rated at either 2.1V or 2.2V
September 6, 2006 5:06:49 AM

I picked up the ram along with my system (from one of their authorized resellers... Canada Computers)

I looked through that datasheet and was unable to find my model: KLCE88F-2k

Weird.. i've even tried to google it and nothing comes up...
September 6, 2006 5:09:17 AM

that's the price you have to pay when you buy Kingmaz (no offence), try calling their support service
September 6, 2006 5:10:42 AM

lol... yepp, another lesson learned...
September 6, 2006 5:11:40 AM

Quote:
lol... yepp, another lesson learned...

lol... keep us posted 8)
September 6, 2006 5:23:35 AM

Quote:
You have to go into BIOS and set "AI Overclocking" to "Manual" to reveal all the settings. Your RAM is probably rated at either 2.1V or 2.2V

My options for my manual settings for ram are:
Dram Voltage
-Auto

Dram Frequency
-Auto

Right now I have it set to Voltage=Auto, and Frequency=667

Do these settings seem ok?
September 6, 2006 5:26:23 AM

667 yes
vram no

find out your timings and voltage
:roll: