NTFS PERMISSIONS RESET TO DEFAULT

This problem has happened 3 different times..... twice to a drive that was
mapped to a parition on my SAN, and once on standalone server the c:\
drive....

SAN, the mapped drives were inaccessible by the user's due to the fact that
ntfs permission were stripped leaving only SYSTEM and Administrator assigned,
also one thing to note was, although administrator and system NTFS
permissions were assigned, in properties, the actual permisson were all
unchecked...... (not normal)...... I had to re-apply the permissions just to
get admin permissions to apear correctly in the property dialog box of each
file and folder... It also seems that i find myself resetting ntfs
permissions that i already fixed.....
PLEASE HELP........ I searched everywere on the internet for a fix and there
isnt much .... i have two theories, 1) it could be Trend micro server
protect, or maybe a Microsoft update..... still searching......

thanks
rob davis

Hey!.....isn't this group monitored by Microsoft Personnel?......Please
reply.......

thanks....

"davisr65" wrote:

> This problem has happened 3 different times..... twice to a drive that was
> mapped to a parition on my SAN, and once on standalone server the c:\
> drive....
>
> SAN, the mapped drives were inaccessible by the user's due to the fact that
> ntfs permission were stripped leaving only SYSTEM and Administrator assigned,
> also one thing to note was, although administrator and system NTFS
> permissions were assigned, in properties, the actual permisson were all
> unchecked...... (not normal)...... I had to re-apply the permissions just to
> get admin permissions to apear correctly in the property dialog box of each
> file and folder... It also seems that i find myself resetting ntfs
> permissions that i already fixed.....
> PLEASE HELP........ I searched everywere on the internet for a fix and there
> isnt much .... i have two theories, 1) it could be Trend micro server
> protect, or maybe a Microsoft update..... still searching......
>
> thanks
> rob davis

No this is not a managed group. Here's a list of them.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"davisr65" wrote:
| Hey!.....isn't this group monitored by Microsoft Personnel?......Please
| reply.......
|
| thanks....
|
| "davisr65" wrote:
|
| > This problem has happened 3 different times..... twice to a drive that
was
| > mapped to a parition on my SAN, and once on standalone server the c:\
| > drive....
| >
| > SAN, the mapped drives were inaccessible by the user's due to the fact
that
| > ntfs permission were stripped leaving only SYSTEM and Administrator
assigned,
| > also one thing to note was, although administrator and system NTFS
| > permissions were assigned, in properties, the actual permisson were all
| > unchecked...... (not normal)...... I had to re-apply the permissions
just to
| > get admin permissions to apear correctly in the property dialog box of
each
| > file and folder... It also seems that i find myself resetting ntfs
| > permissions that i already fixed.....
| > PLEASE HELP........ I searched everywere on the internet for a fix and
there
| > isnt much .... i have two theories, 1) it could be Trend micro server
| > protect, or maybe a Microsoft update..... still searching......
| >
| > thanks
| > rob davis

thanks pat....

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> No this is not a managed group. Here's a list of them.

> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "davisr65" wrote:
> | Hey!.....isn't this group monitored by Microsoft Personnel?......Please
> | reply.......
> |
> | thanks....
> |
> | "davisr65" wrote:
> |
> | > This problem has happened 3 different times..... twice to a drive that
> was
> | > mapped to a parition on my SAN, and once on standalone server the c:\
> | > drive....
> | >
> | > SAN, the mapped drives were inaccessible by the user's due to the fact
> that
> | > ntfs permission were stripped leaving only SYSTEM and Administrator
> assigned,
> | > also one thing to note was, although administrator and system NTFS
> | > permissions were assigned, in properties, the actual permisson were all
> | > unchecked...... (not normal)...... I had to re-apply the permissions
> just to
> | > get admin permissions to apear correctly in the property dialog box of
> each
> | > file and folder... It also seems that i find myself resetting ntfs
> | > permissions that i already fixed.....
> | > PLEASE HELP........ I searched everywere on the internet for a fix and
> there
> | > isnt much .... i have two theories, 1) it could be Trend micro server
> | > protect, or maybe a Microsoft update..... still searching......
> | >
> | > thanks
> | > rob davis

You're welcome.

--

"davisr65" wrote:
| thanks pat....

We have been experiencing the same behavior on our NAS servers that are SAN
attached.

Did you ever pinpoint what was causing the issue?

Thanks,
Brian

Looks like there is a post W2K SP4 hotfix available for this issue -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895090/

KB 873437 This hotfix resolves a problem where the chkdsk command may
incorrectly identify problems with the security descriptors of files and
folders. When this problem occurs, permissions for certain files or folders
may be reset to their default values. For additional information, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
873437 The CHKDSK command incorrectly identifies certain security
descriptors are not valid in Windows 2000

There are a number of hotfixes .. I would check them out.

Barry

davisr65 wrote:
> Hey!.....isn't this group monitored by Microsoft Personnel?......Please
> reply.......
>
> thanks....
>
> "davisr65" wrote:
>

>>This problem has happened 3 different times..... twice to a drive that was
>>mapped to a parition on my SAN, and once on standalone server the c:\
>>drive....
>>
>>SAN, the mapped drives were inaccessible by the user's due to the fact that
>>ntfs permission were stripped leaving only SYSTEM and Administrator assigned,
>>also one thing to note was, although administrator and system NTFS
>>permissions were assigned, in properties, the actual permisson were all
>>unchecked...... (not normal)...... I had to re-apply the permissions just to
>>get admin permissions to apear correctly in the property dialog box of each
>>file and folder... It also seems that i find myself resetting ntfs
>>permissions that i already fixed.....
>>PLEASE HELP........ I searched everywere on the internet for a fix and there
>>isnt much .... i have two theories, 1) it could be Trend micro server
>>protect, or maybe a Microsoft update..... still searching......
>>
>>thanks
>>rob davis

Hi,

This happens to my 2003 sp1 server too. Whenever I chkdsk I get messages
saying that the security ID is invalid and is being replaced by the
default. Everything works fine on the server. Thing is, it replaces the
security on about 600,000 user and department files, it took a good
cuople of hours to reset them all!

Anyone know of a fix? It seems fine, so I might just not chkdsk the
drive ever agian....

We have applied both 873437 and 831375 yet we still see this problem
returning. I suspect I will be calling PSS about this soon but does anyone
else have the problem too?

Also, to clear up after this problem has happened, what tool do people use
to clean off the junk NTFS permisssions.

I plan to:

1. Set ownership of all files/folders (via subinacl)
2. Turn on inheritance for all files/folders (xcacls.vbs)
3. Clear off all NTFS permisssions (????)
4. Re-apply permission snapshot from known good FILEACL source

Anyone know how to do 3? Or is there an easier method?

"Brian via WinServerKB.com" wrote:

> Looks like there is a post W2K SP4 hotfix available for this issue -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895090/
>
> KB 873437 This hotfix resolves a problem where the chkdsk command may
> incorrectly identify problems with the security descriptors of files and
> folders. When this problem occurs, permissions for certain files or folders
> may be reset to their default values. For additional information, click the
> following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
> Base:
> 873437 The CHKDSK command incorrectly identifies certain security
> descriptors are not valid in Windows 2000
>
> There are a number of hotfixes .. I would check them out.

TRENDING THREADS