Please Help! Need to find a Quality Hard Drive Enclosure

frankthetank1

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I recently purchased a Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB Hard Drive and with the hopes of converting it to an external to use it with my laptop. Some of the hard drive enclosures I have seen look pretty sketchy and I am looking for something that is quality and will not fry my hard drive. I would like it to have usb 2.0 and preferably firewire and also something that is relatively easy to assemble. If anyone has any suggestions/can help me out, please do so. Thanks a bunch.

P.S. It is an SATA drive.

UC7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Most of the SATA hard drive enclosures will suit you fine. I would just make sure that you look to see if they have a quiet fan. I accidently bought a cheap one thinking I would save money -- the darn thing came without a fan, and boy did it get hot.

I currently use the Cintre product. It is quiet, and I like the ability to pull off an SATA connection for an external enclosure. You are obviously looking more for one with USB2 (unless you have some otherworldly laptop with an external SATA port). I would suggest getting the USB2.0/SATA enclosure for future options. But don't take my word alone, I am sure that several other brands do a great job. Just avoid the super cheap - as heat is an issue.

Here is a link to the one that I have (USB/SATA):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1929334&sku=R301-1058