Sign in with
Your question

After all the reviews, which is the best bet for DVD+/-RW?

Last response: in Storage
September 5, 2006 8:08:08 PM

I turn to the group with this question after going much research. I have checked into a lot of DVD burners, they all have mixed reviews and have yet to come up with a solid answer at all.
I've been thinking of getting a Lite On SHW-160P6S, yet some people say it's great, some say it's crap.
ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Rig:
AMD 2800+ Barton
Corsair 512 DDR (333)
520 Gig HD (Maxtor)
MSI GF FX 5700 256DDR (VIVO+all the toys)

My ex took both my DVD RW's, so need a good replacement. Price, unfortunately is an issue. :evil: 

Thanks for your help.

Gem

More about : reviews bet dvd

a c 356 G Storage
September 5, 2006 8:26:30 PM

I don't know about the best, but I've had this lite-on model for 8 months and it hasn't made a single coaster, cd or dvd. Just use the latest firmware and all should be good.
September 5, 2006 8:29:16 PM

I've heard good/bad about the 160P6S's too.
I have a 165P6 and haven't had any problems yet.
I've had good experiences with lite-on. The one bad one was my old dvd burner died on me after 15 months - i think the motor's ball bearings were going out. But hey, at 30 bucks, it wasn't a huge loss.

some people say its a loud drive manufacturer, and there's something to that, but i mean, its only super loud at max speeds. and at max speeds, it only lasts a few minutes.

I'd say just go for it. I've installed probably about 6-8 optical drives from them and i've only had that one problem i mentioned above. The others are 3-5 yrs old and still running fine. (Most are CDRW).

plextors are good, but pricey.
Related resources
September 5, 2006 8:41:51 PM

NEC 3550A is hands down the most reliable DVD+/-RW. Great speeds, great reader and most importantly: amazing compatibility with media.

$30 for this piece of art
September 6, 2006 9:05:18 PM

Thanks for the input, I have been still researching all day. I want to order one tonight from Newegg, just debating on which one to get still.

The 160P6S LiteOn got some really mixed reviews. I was checking out the NEC 5 out of 5 (the new 18x), it doesn't do overburn though. This is the thing, I still have about 300 99 min cd-r's, so wanted to ensure I could used them.
I have yet to find out if the NEC enables overburn like the Lite On.

Another question, which model is the better of them, meaning Lite On or NEC? ANY information is greatly appreciated. I'm lucky enough to belong to this group with the knowledge base between everyone.

Jay
September 6, 2006 9:43:51 PM

At this point, I think you're the one that knows the most about these two burners. And you're the one who can probably make the best call on it.

Brand wise I tend to go w/ lite-on since they're the largest optical drive manufacturer in taiwan. Last I checked (a year or two ago), sony was using them for their drives.

On the other hand, i've heard good things about NEC too.

Also, don't get too caught up in the brand. The models of the burners are the ones you care about. Each model is different, so there's bound to be some bad models around.
September 6, 2006 10:16:47 PM

I've got an SHW-160P6S and it was buggy as soon as i got it - was very selective about when it would play discs - so i RMA'd it. New ones deffinately better, but does play up now and again, so i bought a cheap LG DVD-ROM drive just incase. No problems with writing CDs or DVDs, writes quickly and is a quieter drive than the LG.
September 6, 2006 10:47:30 PM

Nobly,

I am very intersted in finding out if you have had any issues with your drive at all. I was just reading up on the Lite-On SHM-165H6S, for about the past hour.
Please check it out and give me your opinion. It seems like the best bet to go with. Especially with all the features.
My main question is that is it an older or newer version of the 165P6S? I just want to make sure it will last me awhile, I have so much burning to be done when I get it.

Ciao,

Gem
September 7, 2006 7:02:29 PM

Quote:
Nobly,
I am very intersted in finding out if you have had any issues with your drive at all. I was just reading up on the Lite-On SHM-165H6S, for about the past hour.
Please check it out and give me your opinion. It seems like the best bet to go with. Especially with all the features.
My main question is that is it an older or newer version of the 165P6S? I just want to make sure it will last me awhile, I have so much burning to be done when I get it.
Ciao,
Gem

Hey,

I haven't had any issues w/ my drive at all since I got it... that was in March.
Here's the specific model # SHM-165H6S, which is the same as the one you're looking at. I think it was made in Feb or something. Not sure if there's any other version number other than that. Any newer versions would be better, i would think!

I got this when it was relatively new to the market. I had heard some bad things about the 160-series as well, that's why I decided to go w/ the 165-series. People then were saying that the 160-series had some manufacturing issues or something, but they were fixed in the 165-series.
The only thing I did when I got it was to update the firmware to the latest one. The 165-series was $10 more than the 160-series back then, but it was worth it. Haven't gotten around to trying lightscribe yet - too lazy to buy discs.

I haven't burned as much as I used to, but I probably burn CDs/DVDs every week or so. No problems or coasters yet. I've done a few DL's too for movies... I gotta say, going from 2.4x to 4x on DL is soooo nice. hahaha

I've kind of gotten out of my video editing thing until I buy a new computer. I'm working on a 5yr old 1.8P4, so rendering is.... a pain. :p 
!