Whats important in a case?

gary201147

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
There is a wide range of prices for cases. Im buying my power supply separately anyways...how much does the case really matter?

Qisa

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I'm sure many people here will tell you otherwise, but to me as long as the case brings air in the front down low and drags it out the back up high in sufficient quantity, the rest is just icing. Granted, that icing (e.g. lots of room, plenty of drive bays, front ports, silent fans, tool-less chassis, mobo tray, good documentation, etc, etc) can make things a lot easier on you.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
a fair bit as long as you have good airflow you should be ok :p get one if you can with 2*120mm fans (NOT 80mm ONES :evil: they'll be noisy).

if you have the money get this its superior to most cases on the market (very very good airflow)
antec P180

:D

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
a fair bit as long as you have good airflow you should be ok :p get one if you can with 2*120mm fans (NOT 80mm ONES :evil: they'll be noisy).

if you have the money get this its superior to most cases on the market (very very good airflow)
antec P180

:D

If you can spring for a P180 I'd reccomend it. Good, solid, quiet and easy as anything to work on.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Other than a good price value you need to pick a case that can support your components and future upgrades as well. Important thing also is that the case should have a good ventilation, which is the first step in cooling. But if you know how to mod a case like cutting holes and installing fans like the side intake fan then you pretty much have a wider choice in selecting a case.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
1) Good airflow. This is probably the most important because, without good airflow, your computer might overheat and shut down. You'll want at least 2 fans, one in the front, and one in the back. Most rear fans are 120mm; some cases have a 120mm in the front, as well. Some cases have a fan duct on the side or on top.

2) Easy to work in. This ties along with the case being big enough to accomodate the hardware you're going to use. It will be hard to work in a case that's too small; you'll have wires everywhere, and everything will be very close together. Shoot for a mid-tower case with a toolless design.

3) Aesthetics. There are many different styles of cases; pick whichever you like; just make sure that it's a good brand.

4) Quality. No-name brand cases may have sharp edges which are dangerous for you and the wires inside. They may also be built out of thin metal which has a chance of bending if the case is moved a lot. Generally, you don't want to get the cheapest case you see, however there are some good cheap cases. Just read reviews online.

5) Weight. If you're going to move the case a lot, then you'll want to get a lightweight case. If it's just going to sit under your desk, then weight doesn't matter. Don't compromise quality for light weight; a case built out of thin steel will most likely not be durable. Aluminum is a good material for cases; strong and lightweight.

6) Brand. Lian-Li is widely considered to be the best manufacturer of cases, but there are many other good brands, including Antec, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Silverstone, and others. Like I said before, don't go for the cheapest case you find, but read reviews online, as there are some affordable gems.

7) Price. Don't put $500 worth of components in a $250 case. $50-100 will buy you a nice case; only spend more if money is no object, of if you really love the case.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I agree with the above posters, a good airflow is paramount in a case. if possible, getting a blow hole on top of your case is nice as it helps a great deal in keeping the inside of you case cooler. Simple physic principle so why not take advantage of it. Thing is, not that many case come with one but if you're handy enough, it's always possible to mod it yourself. I'd say that 2 x 120 mm Fans is the minimum.(front and rear)

Also, if budget allows, it's not necessairly a bad thing to pay more to get a high end case. I see this as an investement. A high quality case can last you a couple of upgrades as you keep it to put your new rig inside.

samisslammin

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Another thing to keep in mind is what you're using it for. Do you plan on moving it often? Are you a big LAN party fan? Look at the materials the case is made of. Aluminum will be a lot lighter than steel. Server or full tower cases will give you a lot more room to work with if you plan on upgrading a lot, but might not fit in some computer cabinets/hutches/etc. I got the Thermaltake Armor case and love it to death, but I'll be damned if it isn't heavy as hell. Just barely fits in the "holder" that hangs from my desk.

Also, since I mentioned the cabinets and whatnot...the placement of your case is worth keeping in mind as well. Leaving it in a cabinet with a door and a closed back (or with just a hole for cords) is a recipe for overheating no matter how many fans you have. Keep in mind how air is flowing through your computer and compensate accordingly (Most will suck in through the front and blow out through the back, ie putting it up against the back of a cabinet or wall is a bad idea).

Finally, don't go overboard with fans. Use them wisely. Its very easy to go overboard with inexpensive fans that end up cancelling each other out. Make sure you have them all facing the right way; visualize how the air is gonna flow through it. Look at some documentation on the Antec P180, its a marvelous example of these principles in action.

In summary: A case isn't going to make your computer that much better than someone elses. But a poor case, or a poorly ventilated or managed one, can and will hinder you. Just keep in mind what everyone else has said about airflow, and pick one with good reviews.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
How are your case modding skills?

If you can't find a case to your liking, build one! The only limit is your imagination. The best I've seen so far is a toaster converted to a PC case and a scale model of a Lamborghini Diablo.

I'm still a forum n00b so forgive me if the link doesn't work but you might want to check this out:

http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow/0,1206,a=167099,00.asp

P.S. Anyone know any good links to some funky case mods?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What's important in a case? Durability and ventilation. You can find a durable, well ventilated case in the Cooler Master Centurion 5xx series, or the NZXT Apollo, for around $60. Both companies use the same basic structure and probably the same supplier.

There are a lot of midpriced cases with crappy ventilation, and most cheap cases are the same way. You want the area over the fan to be around 90% air holes and 10% metal shielding just to avoid air retrictions, and the grill should be offset from the fan by at least 2mm to reduce turbulance.