network file access problem. Maybe locks?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 5, 2005 1:08:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.file_system,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Hi,

I have a strange problem with a server. When I access throuth the share and
and click with right mouse button -> Properties, it takes a long time to
open. When I do the same operation locally on the server it works fine.

I use filemon.exe to determine the problem, and I see two strange
operations:

System:8 FSCTL_REQUEST_BATCH_OPLOCK .... \file.txt ..... OPLOCK NOT
GRANTED
System:8 FSCTL_REQUEST_OPLOCK_LEVEL_2 .... \file.txt ..... OPLOCK NOT
GRANTED

and after that, it takes about 30 or 40 seconds to continue and open the
file properties.

The server is Windows 2000 Advance Server with SP4, and there is only one
client (my computer) accesing the file. Maybe another process locking the
file?

Any idea?
Thanks.
April 5, 2005 1:08:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.file_system,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Workstation in the same Vlan as the server is?

"Jose Cebrian" <jcebrian2002@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem with a server. When I access throuth the share and
> and click with right mouse button -> Properties, it takes a long time to
> open. When I do the same operation locally on the server it works fine.
>
> I use filemon.exe to determine the problem, and I see two strange
> operations:
>
> System:8 FSCTL_REQUEST_BATCH_OPLOCK .... \file.txt ..... OPLOCK NOT
> GRANTED
> System:8 FSCTL_REQUEST_OPLOCK_LEVEL_2 .... \file.txt ..... OPLOCK NOT
> GRANTED
>
> and after that, it takes about 30 or 40 seconds to continue and open the
> file properties.
>
> The server is Windows 2000 Advance Server with SP4, and there is only one
> client (my computer) accesing the file. Maybe another process locking the
> file?
>
> Any idea?
> Thanks.

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.file_system,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Yes.

I think about SAN. The server has presented a virtual disk on EVA 5000, a HP
storage system. It uses Secure Path, a software to manage the path to the
disk, because for redundancy has 4 path to disk (redudant controller and
hba). But I can reproduce the problem on local disk too.

!