Graphics card choice DDR2 OR DDR3??

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • DDR2
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2006 9:13:39 PM

Hello People,im new to the forum. Im in the Process of building my first gaming pc,ive installed a lot of components before but never built a full system. Im looking at motherboard bundle stated below:

Motherboard Bundle - AMD X2 4200 AM2, Heatsink and Fan, 1024MB DDR2 533 RAM, Asus AM2 Motherboard

Im havin a bit of trouble looking for a suitable gfx card,can sumone please confirm for me whether i can install a ddr3 gfx card on a motherboard such as the one named above? Would this be pointless as the ram is ddr2??

Im happy with a ddr2 gfx card ive looked at but if i can get a ddr3 gfx card i will as long as its compatable with the motherboard???

Thanks for your help.

More about : graphics card choice ddr2 ddr3

September 5, 2006 9:32:56 PM

The DDR2 vs DDR3 is a spec and by itself doesn't mean jack. If the videocard fits in the motherboard slot it will work.

It's memory speed that counts, and the GPU type and speed is even more important.

Just get the best card you can afford. Check the 'best cards for the money' thread on the top of this forum.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 8:55:12 PM

cleeve said:
The DDR2 vs DDR3 is a spec and by itself doesn't mean jack. If the videocard fits in the motherboard slot it will work.

It's memory speed that counts, and the GPU type and speed is even more important.

Just get the best card you can afford. Check the 'best cards for the money' thread on the top of this forum.

Thank you for expressing it; " if the card fits in the slot and works, is absolutely the most important.
!