Question About Canon MP780

I read a lot of reviews of this AIO before buying it two nights ago. I
haven't opened the box yet because I found another review that says
something that worries me. It was posted in epinions and states the
following:

***UPDATE***
"This issue was pointed out to me as I only use the copy function for quick
non critical draft items. When making a copy, there is a small area on the
left side facing that is not printed. For most copied material, this will
not be noticed and setting image enlargement to 99% will print the entire
document albeit at a slightly reduced size. Scans are edge to edge and
regular printing does not appear to be affected. This small issue does not
change my opinion of the product which has so far performed flawlessly for
me. If making 100% perfect copies is critical to you, this printer may not
be your best choice. "

Can someone who owns this printer please address the issue of incomplete
copies being made. If this is true I may return the printer without opening
it and go back to an HP, such as the 7210.
The whole review is at the following link if anyone is interested.

http://www.epinions.com/content_186252234372

zakezuke

> Thanks for your reply. I guess the only way to tell for sure is to try
> copying typical things that I might. I just hate to set up a printer only to
> find a problem.

> Here is the reply I received after contacting Canon tech support with the
> same question:

I'm a mp760 owner.. don't have the sheet feeder. I just tried doing a
flatbed copy and ended up with roughly a 1/4 inch border around my
copy. This is actually common on inkjets printing to plain paper,
generally printing to the edge is reserved for either photo paper, or
thick card stock. This was less common on inkjets in the mid 90s...
where they were just dumb devices that didn't understand the concept of
borders, they just did what you told them to.

I'll have to try this again to see if there is any means of tricking
the printer to print to the edge 1:1 copy, but my experiment in draft
mode yielded a 1/4 inch margin.

On the other hand, it does come with a manual... not that I really read
it or anything but it did come with one, as did my ip3000. Don't know
why the reviewer didn't get one.

Hi Anne.

As an owner and user of an mp780 I was concerned with the erroneous nature
of the review you had read.

On the UK versions of this AIO there is NO loss of picture when using the
copy button on the flat bed scanner nor loss in quality for the end result,
cannot speak for yours but should not be different.
If you use the paper adjusters on the automatic feeder you will not get
crooked output, I recently put 30 pages from various computer magazines
through with no problem. There is paper user manual, indeed quite a large
one. You don't get a usb cable that is true. Which magazine in April rated
this machine as one of the top three AIO on the market, equal first with the
mp750.
Hope this helps.
--
Regards
Stick, Oxford, UK

"Ann Meffert" <annmef1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I read a lot of reviews of this AIO before buying it two nights ago. I
>haven't opened the box yet because I found another review that says
>something that worries me. It was posted in epinions and states the
>following:
>
> ***UPDATE***
> "This issue was pointed out to me as I only use the copy function for
> quick non critical draft items. When making a copy, there is a small area
> on the left side facing that is not printed. For most copied material,
> this will not be noticed and setting image enlargement to 99% will print
> the entire document albeit at a slightly reduced size. Scans are edge to
> edge and regular printing does not appear to be affected. This small issue
> does not change my opinion of the product which has so far performed
> flawlessly for me. If making 100% perfect copies is critical to you, this
> printer may not be your best choice. "
>
> Can someone who owns this printer please address the issue of incomplete
> copies being made. If this is true I may return the printer without
> opening it and go back to an HP, such as the 7210.
> The whole review is at the following link if anyone is interested.
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_186252234372

Thanks for your reply. I guess the only way to tell for sure is to try
copying typical things that I might. I just hate to set up a printer only to
find a problem.

Here is the reply I received after contacting Canon tech support with the
same question:

Dear Ann Meffert:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The unit does have printed margins so if your document is exactly to the
edge some parts may be cut off. You can use the borderless copy feature to
print edge to edge however some text may still be lost.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact
us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Matthew
Technical Support Representative