Not sure whats up with my computer...

roseman5285

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I bought parts for my system over the summer and put them together right before I had to move in at school (last year....woooo!). Well, my computer has been acting really strange. It will not let games run. I have Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, CS:Source, and the Company of Heros Beta installed. Every time I run them, I either get booted out to the desktop or the system restarts. The specs are as follows:
AMD 4600+ am2
2 gigs of Kingston memory
Abit KN9 SLI mobo
Nvidia XFX 7600 gt

I have all of the updates for everything, and I'm not sure what the hell is going on.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

*edit* forgot to mention that the CPU is dual core

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I bought parts for my system over the summer and put them together right before I had to move in at school (last year....woooo!). Well, my computer has been acting really strange. It will not let games run. I have Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, CS:Source, and the Company of Heros Beta installed. Every time I run them, I either get booted out to the desktop or the system restarts. The specs are as follows:
AMD 4600+ am2
2 gigs of Kingston memory
Abit KN9 SLI mobo
Nvidia XFX 7600 gt

I have all of the updates for everything, and I'm not sure what the hell is going on.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

*edit* forgot to mention that the CPU is dual core

Tried a new install of windows?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I could think of two causes:

1) Something in your computer is overheating.
2) Your PSU doesn't provide enough power to run the system under load.

Please post your full system specs, including case, PSU, and what version of WIndows you're running. Then we'll be able to help you better.

roseman5285

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
its the x2-connect.

just as a recap:

AMD 4600+ x2 am2
ABIT KN9 SLI mobo
2gb (1gbx2) kingston ram
Nvidia XFX 7600 gt
Ultra x2 connect 550 watt PSU (modular)
300 gb Seagate SataII hdd
DL dvd drive (not sure of the brand)
Ultra Auluminus case (blue) w/ 2x 120mm fans(blowing front to back)

as far as heating is concerned, i dont think its overheating. the cpu (stock cooler) is running at 40C and the system is at 32C.

pcsteve

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yeah, I would have gone with that as well. It would seem that once he starts drawing excessive current from the power supply, it's too much for it to cope with.

roseman5285

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
yes, i have scanned for spyware and malware. this isnt a problem that ive had before, or else i would have been able to fix it.

177ine177ine

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
What he means is that the power you computer demands is more than your computer can provide. For example:

Let's just pretend that power is measure in only Amps on one rail. Basically, your computer needs 20 Amps just to run. However, under load, such as gaming, the power your computer needs is higher most usually due to the graphics card using more power. So to play a good game, it needs 30 Amps. If your power supply was lets say 25 amps, then it would be sufficient to run normally but not in situations that require more power.

A couple of questions: Is it only games that do this? Has it ever just quit when using other programs that may graphic intensive?

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I'm gonna guess it's your XFX. God I had an XFX before and all i got was trouble. I switched the card out and problems...Poof!

Maybe your settings on the card are off. Like did you mess w/ the settings ie. AA and AF..... When i played around with those in the past that caused probs. too.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
You said your computer reboots unexpectedly. The cause of the reboots might be caused by faulty software.

Check the following setting:

Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings->Automatically Restart

if you find the "Automatically Restart" checked, uncheck it, click OK.

Do whatever you need to do to make the machine reboot spontaneously. There is at least a chance that you will now get a blue screen with a message and error code that may be helpful to figure out what is causing the problem.

HTH.

roseman5285

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
u sure that the PSU is the problem? i mean, it is 550 watts this is the specs sheet

http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=7257

i thought that this should be good enough for the system i had? its not like im in SLI or anything. i didnt overclock anything. the gfx and teh cpu are running at factory settings.

as far as the reboots problems mentioned, its not rebotting, its kicking my out to the desktop and stopping the game.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Even if you buy a 1K psu, if it's faulty, then that's it. Certain parts also can cause trouble given if it's faulty,eventhough you're running at stock/underclocked speed :wink:

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I doubt it would be the PSU as well. The PSU is an Antec X2 Connect, which is a solid power supply, quite sufficient for what he's got. If it were a lesser PSU, then it could be suspect, but as that is not the case, we have to look elsewhere.

Did you take the hard drive from another computer without formatting it or anything? If you did, then for the love of all that is delicious, format and reinstall windows.

Another thing to look at is if your video drivers are the proper ones, since it only happens when you go into games. The drivers that came with it are old bawls.

And then there was something else I was gonna say, but then I forgot, 'cause I'm too tired to think, and I've got slight brain hemmhorraging. Fun stuff.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
If everything's else don't work, why don't try slightly older gfx drivers?I've heard people with similar case got it right when they uninstalled the latest driver, n then installed older driver,a notch or 2

rahul_cracker

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
your ram colud be also colud be the cluprit ,if there is loose ram or a mismatching speed ram since you have two in dual channel mode i hope check th eram speeds and that they are seated properly ,i dont think your psu should be entirely blamed

roseman5285

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
alright, i was typing a reply, but i actually got the bsod i was waiting for. this is the error that i got

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xA7D3CD04, 0xA7D3CA00, 0x8051A3D3)

basically said to run CHKDSK /F

so i think i found the problem. gratned the HDD is brand new. recieved it in a retail box from fry's outpost (which has been a first for me to get a hdd that wasnt oem)

one more question though, is there a utility that removed nvidia drivers before u instal new ones? ive always been an ati guy, but i couldnt find a mobo that was in my pricerange that was crossfire capable and amd compatable.

in2b8yall

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I was having the exact same problem when I first built my new rig. Tried a different PSU, drivers, reinstalled Windows. I finally found that if I increased the DRAM voltage in the BIOS to 2.1v that my system magically became rock solid. Might want to try that and see if it helps.

Good Luck,

Josh

roseman5285

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
tried to reset the voltage to 2.1, but the system starated beeping at me horribly. it seems to like 1.9v at the moment, but i havent had a chance yet to stress test it. ill try running oblivion soon and see how that goes