Rights to the Users Home Directory

I have been going crazy trying to figure this out and can't find documentatin
anywhere. I am actually migrating from a Novell file Server to a Windows 2003
File Server.

What I want seems simple enough.

I want a Users directory, with each users personal directory on it, and have
each user mapped to his home directory. It would look like this :

Data
Users
JDoe
TThumb

User J Doe etc. would only be mapped to his home directory, only be able to
browse to his own directory, and would not have rights to any other home
directory.

For some reason I can't get how to do it on a 2003 server. If I share above
the user directory then each user seems to inherit thos permissions no matter
how I set their personal directory. I suppose I could share each individual
home directory, but that would be tedious.

Any help ?
1 answer Last reply
More about rights users home directory

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:02 -0700, "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have been going crazy trying to figure this out and can't find documentatin
    >anywhere. I am actually migrating from a Novell file Server to a Windows 2003
    >File Server.
    >
    >What I want seems simple enough.
    >
    >I want a Users directory, with each users personal directory on it, and have
    >each user mapped to his home directory. It would look like this :
    >
    >Data
    > Users
    > JDoe
    > TThumb
    >
    >User J Doe etc. would only be mapped to his home directory, only be able to
    >browse to his own directory, and would not have rights to any other home
    >directory.
    >
    >For some reason I can't get how to do it on a 2003 server. If I share above
    >the user directory then each user seems to inherit thos permissions no matter
    >how I set their personal directory. I suppose I could share each individual
    >home directory, but that would be tedious.
    >
    >Any help ?

    Yes.

    See tip 9231 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    Jerold Schulman